Currie and Numan

Posted by: maryann

Currie and Numan - Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:14:00

I have been listening to alot of Numan these days and I was wondering what everyone else thought about Billy's work with Numan.
I think that Billy's contribution was superior (and in my opinion underrated) and I enjoy the tracks he played on more than those he didn't. I know Numan changed his approach, sound, etc over time and during different tours but I stand firm that Billy's sound greatly enhanced the tracks.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Currie and Numan - Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:34:00

i agree with u , maryann !

billy added something rather worthy to numan's music - jus' like he ( billy ) did with ultravox' & some other bands music too ! :-)

billy is indeed a very skilled musician & a worthy band member in general , but hardly a good band leader , as especially his failed "revival" of the ultravox name has proven very clearly in the past ! ;-o
Posted by: newvox

Re: Currie and Numan - Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:52:00

Some of the touring principle '79 tracks would never have sounded as they did, without Billy. When the tour continued without him in early '80 a lot of the songs were improved overall, but the solo synth parts were not.
Posted by: Flip Martian

Re: Currie and Numan - Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:20:00

The synth solo at the end of Everyday I Die performed by Denis Haines at Wembley in 1981 (ie the performance on the Micromusic video) is generally seen (by most Numan muso people) as definitive (arguably more listenable than Billy's "I'm making this up as I go along" LO 79 version).

Not arguing the point about Billy's quality but he didn't really play on much Numan apart from a bit of violin on The Pleasure Principle and synths on the early part of the 79 UK tour-wherever there was a screeching lead sound though or warbling solo, you'd find a Billy.

Billy was never likely to be in anyone's backing band for very long though. smile

Re: Currie and Numan - Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:11:00

I must protest most strongely about...oh hang on! I agree!! bemused

Personally I liked Billy's very improvised playing on all the songs he did for the touring principle, but Dennis playing on 'Everyday I Die' from the wembley shows is a classic. He too improvised a bit on the three shows, but admittedly not as much as Billy.
Posted by: SlowMo'

Re: Currie and Numan - Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:21:00

lummy lummy Flip - you're a brave man!
Posted by: Joby

Re: Currie and Numan - Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:07:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Flip Martian:
Not arguing the point about Billy's quality but he...was never likely to be in anyone's backing band for very long though.
Jeez, Phil...don't you ever learn?!? Still, I don't think he's been around the site much lately so you might escape a rebuff.
Posted by: Si_W

Re: Currie and Numan - Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:25:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Joby:
Jeez, Phil...don't you ever learn?!? Still, I don't think he's been around the site much lately so you might escape a rebuff.
That's gonna depend on how much dental treatment he's had recently...

Re: Currie and Numan - Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:49:00

Its worth remembering some here 'in' or slightly 'around' the bizz have had a few moments with the stars. Maybe its time for a new thread, 'arguement styles of the rich and famous'.

Following from yesterday I played some of the first wembley night, especially 'Everyday I Die' and lets just say Dennis was pretty much playing note for note even in the solo's. confused2

Re: Currie and Numan - Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:37:00

Well some musicians are better learning things off by heart; not all can improvise - perhaps Denis couldn't, while Billy certainly can.

He said...making sure he stays in Billy's good books for the foreseeable future... bemused
Posted by: SlowMo'

Re: Currie and Numan - Thu, 12 Jul 2007 00:34:00

crawly bum lick.

Re: Currie and Numan - Thu, 12 Jul 2007 03:09:00

Self preservation, old man... wink
Posted by: Sleepwalker

Re: Currie and Numan - Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:07:00

Billy's da man, I've never seen another keyboard player whip down 5 octaves with precision like he did...amazing eek

Out of all the people that have used ARP's within their keyboard rigs, Billy knew instinctively when & where to go on the front panel of that synth excited

I think touring with Gary Numan was a nice wee busmans holiday for our Bill before getting down to some serious 'Ultravox' business wink

Currie & Numan....nah Curry n' Nan smile
Posted by: Volglory

Re: Currie and Numan - Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:42:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleepwalker:
Billy's da man, I've never seen another keyboard player whip down 5 octaves with precision like he did...amazing eek

Out of all the people that have used ARP's within their keyboard rigs, Billy knew instinctively when & where to go on the front panel of that synth excited
INDEED.

"On Broadway." I rest my case.

- Volglory

Re: Currie and Numan - Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:52:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Volglory:

INDEED. "On Broadway." I rest my case. [/QB]
You sure said it !!

Re: Currie and Numan - Fri, 21 Sep 2007 04:03:00

That famous '79 version of 'On Broadway' was made all the more impressive as other performances of that track throughout the tour were structured the same way, but still improvised within in. My favorite is still the official release, its just a great classic.
Posted by: TM77

Re: Currie and Numan - Mon, 24 Sep 2007 01:32:00

The synth solo on 'On Broadway' is probably my all time favorite. The solo on 'Everyday I Die' on the Living Ornaments '80 album is another favorite.

Re: Currie and Numan - Mon, 05 Nov 2007 07:05:00

Personally, this is one of the best versions ever of a Numan song

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqTh79zN2o

Re: Currie and Numan - Mon, 05 Nov 2007 07:50:00

lmao

Here in my flying CARpet.
Posted by: BlueVision

Re: Currie and Numan - Tue, 06 Nov 2007 05:11:00

Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Personally, this is one of the best versions ever of a Numan song

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqTh79zN2o
Grrrr!!!! Sakrileg...This sounds like the music from my turkish friends on a sunday afternoon in Berlin-Kreuzberg...that's "the horror-principle"...
Posted by: Emulator

Re: Currie and Numan - Sun, 13 Jan 2008 05:08:00

There's nothing to touch Billy's solo on On Broadway - brilliant. I don't doubt that even Gary himself can't have failed to be blown away by what Billy did that night on LO '79 as it is one of the definitive moments of any Numan gig ever. Simply mesmerising.

Re: Currie and Numan - Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:04:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Emulator:
There's nothing to touch Billy's solo on On Broadway - brilliant.
Yes, it is worth repeating:
Billy's work .. On Broadway.. genius..