Which solo albums?

Posted by: 1.Outside

Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 17:58:00

Dear all, I've finally decided to get the Billy Currie albums. I have none of them. Can anyone recommend one to get first? Perhaps the most Ultravox-like one, if such a thing exists?
Posted by: MidgeVox

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:33:00

Hiya,

I have all the BC albums and have to say IMHO that transportation is the best. If you are gonna start why not start at the beginning! Push is my second fave.......

Enjoy
Posted by: david L.

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:07:00

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.Outside:
Dear all, I've finally decided to get the Billy Currie albums. I have none of them. Can anyone recommend one to get first? Perhaps the most Ultravox-like one, if such a thing exists?
I know compilations dont necessarily reflect each individual album , but why not start with "60 minutes with...." or "pieces of the puzzle"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:30:00

Hi 1.O,

All of Billy's solo albums are still available via the download page at his official site and are at the bargain price of £1.99p an album. Hope you enjoy them.

smile

All the best,

PH

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:34:00

£1.99! Eh? I nearly paid whatever it is at iTunes for them! Thanks very much.
Posted by: Rob Harris

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:51:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hitchcock:
All of Billy's solo albums are still available via the download page at his official site and are at the bargain price of £1.99p an album.
The first album I heard of Bill's was Stand Up and Walk , and it's still my favourite (for many reasons) all these years later. But beyond that I don't think that you'll be disappointed in any of them - another particular favourite is Accidental Poetry of the Structure .

However, if you're still unsure - there's always (as Dave Lusman quite rightly says) the excellent compilation album Pieces of the Puzzle .

Check out Bill's website for an overview of each album.

We'd be interested to hear your thoughts when you've had chance to hear some of Bill's music... laugh

Rob
Posted by: Björn

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 21:11:00

Quote:
Strange! Two weeks ago, I mailed Billy the exact same question with almost the same words smile
No answer yet, but I got it here, at least.

Kind regards//Björn
Posted by: david L.

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:57:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hitchcock:
Hi 1.O,

All of Billy's solo albums are still available via the download page at his official site and are at the bargain price of £1.99p an album. Hope you enjoy them.

PH
or if you prefer physical releases , there are lots of bargains to be had on ebay. Looking through recent completed listings , most have not attracted any bids , so you should be able to pick them up for under a couple of pounds each.

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 03 Oct 2008 23:27:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
We'd be interested to hear your thoughts when you've had chance to hear some of Bill's music... laugh

Rob
I'll definitely be reporting back. I am downloading them as we speak off Billy's site. Not all of them are available there though so I'll have to get the others elsewhere.

From what I've heard from clips, his stuff sounds right up my street. I'm not sure why I've not bought his stuff before. I'm a big fan of instrumentals, as I tend to listen to them while I'm working, so this stuff sounds perfect...
Posted by: Oesterreicher II

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 05 Oct 2008 07:45:00

I'd agree with Rob. Whilst all of the albums are good - and all get better and better for the listening - Stand Up and Walk has a special quality and some real stand out pieces. There's the added attraction of Ukraine, recorded with the inestimable contributions of Messrs. Cann and Cross. Some of the albums are slower burners than others, I found, but all deliver.
Posted by: newvox

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 05 Oct 2008 07:56:00

Its also worth noting, some have since been remastered, and some have new artwork. Im sure these were never around when i bought the first issues. Check out the first four on the official page .
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:03:00

Quote:
I'd recommend starting off at the beginning - ie "Transportation".

Hope this helps.
Posted by: Chris C

Re: Which solo albums? - Sat, 11 Oct 2008 04:30:00

Stand Up and Walk and Push are my faves. laugh

Enjoy!

Chris wink
Posted by: newvox

Re: Which solo albums? - Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:20:00

Maybe ive missed where the information is, but are the downloads of earlier albums, the remasters or originals.
Posted by: Valeriun

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 12 Oct 2008 04:24:00

Quote:
Transportation definitely, that's like an instrumental Ultravox album. I also think his latest album "Accidental poetry of the structure" is one of his strongest, lovely piano playing smile
Posted by: Sim One

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 12 Oct 2008 07:42:00

My fave is "Pieces of the Puzzle". I recommend. Also... I own "Transportation" on vinyl, and I know it's supposed to be played at 33, but I think it's awesome on 45. Anybody else accidentally play it faster and like it better? nutjob
Posted by: maryann

Re: Which solo albums? - Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:26:00

If you want a greatest hits kinda compilation there is 'Sixty Minutes With'.
Posted by: Desolate Angel

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 15 May 2009 03:45:00

I think accidental Poetry is a great album and yes the piano is beautiful. Also I have downloaded Keys and the fiddle - this is also a strong album. I'm waiting for Push and currently listening to Still Movement. All great stuff - keys and fiddle/accidental i highly recommend, infact I arrive at work feeling very chilled after listening to this stuff!!!! Deffo brings a bit of zen into my life!!! Jus
Posted by: CONNY'S PIG

Re: Which solo albums? - Fri, 22 May 2009 11:01:00

Jus,
Been playing 'Still Movement' in the car this week. It's all good stuff mind. laugh

PS - You look well cool in that stetson. wink
Posted by: quietman

Re: Which solo albums? - Sat, 23 May 2009 13:25:00

I do enjoy most of Billy's solo work. Accidental Poetry is my fave. Transportation to me, sounds the most Ultravox-ian and as a bonus you get Steve Howe on several and Derek Forbes on one amazing track:)

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 24 May 2009 08:12:00

Ahh Piglet - how good to see you on here - you lil pink thing!!! Yes Still Movement is on my play list at the moment!! My faves are Afterglow and Waving Hands in Clouds. Also been listening to Transportation tonight. Very much looking forward to the new one!

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 24 May 2009 08:16:00

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman:
I do enjoy most of Billy's solo work. Accidental Poetry is my fave. Transportation to me, sounds the most Ultravox-ian and as a bonus you get Steve Howe on several and Derek Forbes on one amazing track:)
I got Accidental Poetry recently and I am very impressed with this particular album - I love it!

I did notice some of the artwork is different now - what happened to the original Transportation artwork?! Near impossible to find!

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 24 May 2009 08:20:00

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman:
Transportation to me, sounds the most Ultravox-ian and as a bonus you get Steve Howe on several and Derek Forbes on one amazing track:)
I spoke to Mr Forbes a couple of days ago as it happens. He's currently in Wales rehearsing with The Alarm for their support slot on the forthcoming gigs by The Damned. eek
But yes, Transportation is a decent album alright.
Must give it another whirl. smile

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 24 May 2009 08:25:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Desolate Angel:
Ahh Piglet - how good to see you on here - you lil pink thing!!!
Pink Thing eh. Oh dear, I'm suddenly having flashbacks of the first time I heard that album shock

Its that little souvenir of a terrible year Which makes my eyes feel sore

frown

Re: Which solo albums? - Sun, 24 May 2009 18:47:00

Quote:
Originally posted by CONNY'S PIG:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Desolate Angel:
<strong> Ahh Piglet - how good to see you on here - you lil pink thing!!!
Pink Thing eh. Oh dear, I'm suddenly having flashbacks of the first time I heard that album biglaugh

Sorry - didn't mean to alarm you.. laugh