Abyss

Posted by: Nils

Abyss - Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:23:00

Hi!
A few weeks ago I've played around with some sounds and recorded this:

Abyss

(about 4,2 MB)

The whole piece was played live in one track and without overdub, unfortunately I don't really remember how it was played exactly (which sounds e.g.). Yesterday I listened to it again and it nearly made me shiver. I choosed the name "Abyss" because I think the track would work as a "soundtrack for deep sea explorations" wink . In my opinion this is some kind of "ambient"-music.

At about 3:35 I have cut out ca. 30 seconds and connected the both remaining parts with a three seconds crossfade.

Greetings
Nils
Posted by: Mr. Weirdo

Re: Abyss - Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:04:00

hi nils ! smile

i've jus' downloaded & listened to your track called "abyss" & u are absolutely right about the "deep sea divin'" mood that it puts one in , which i - as a former diver - can say very well !!! wink

btw : it's also very likely that i'll play that track in one of my next "chill-out space" radio shows in feb. or march !!!

i'll listen to some of your other songs as well soon , my fellow bremer !!! wink

anyway ... c u ! smile

olaf a.k.a. ..::=|MeTaMaTRiX|=::..
Posted by: ari

Re: Abyss - Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:31:00

Nice one Nils "vangelis" Gunther!

Again your piece is very cinematographic - deep sea or perhaps deep space - where no man has gone before.... laugh !!! Good track indeed. I like it. I cut down the lights, used earphones, and it really made me to go somewhere else for a while...

Cheers, ari

And looks like itīs going to be major hit after another Bremen-fellow broadcast it... Good. wink
Posted by: LaptopRockers

Re: Abyss - Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:48:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Nils:
Hi!
A few weeks ago I've played around with some sounds and recorded this:

Abyss

(about 4,2 MB)
An interesting idea, a nice, slow atmosphere, building well. I liked the underwater idea. Seems to fit the theme well but that might just be my imagination helping out.

I've saved it away to disc to listen again later.

Anyway, this is my "underwater" track - "Mariner". Very dark, very moody. I'd been reading too much Horatio Hornblower and just watched Ridley Scott's "1492" back in 1995. Then I got this image in my head of some guy chained to the wheel of a sailing ship drifting off towards the twilight in the middle of a very wicked storm. Bit like the one we just had, really.

Mariner

Cheers
David
Posted by: Flip Martian

Re: Abyss - Mon, 10 Jan 2005 04:53:00

Abyss - nice sounds and very "chill out" feel. Very relaxing and could quite easily sit behind underwater film footage. I'll save this for playing on my mp3 player.

Mariner - Hijacking Nils' thread, shame on you... wink
Very different, but interesting with some really cool sounds. I got no sense of a mariner from it, but maybe I have no imagination... (that's my photography hobby buggered then!) wink Again, keeping this for my mp3 player - from first listening it had maybe a bit too much reverb, but still sounded cool.

Re: Abyss - Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:23:00

Thank You all for this positive feedback!!

David, I'll download Your mp3 as soon as possible. How large is the file (modem-user)?

Re: Abyss - Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:10:00

Nils,

Quote:

David, I'll download Your mp3 as soon as possible. How large is the file (modem-user)?
This track is in the showreel area so just go to the showreel page, open up the media player and select "Mariner" in the file list that appears. Assuming you have the Flash plug-in installed, it will just start to stream immediately. That way, you won't have to download the whole song.

Cheers
David

Re: Abyss - Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:11:00

Nils,

Quote:

This track is in the showreel area so just go to the showreel page, open up the media player and select "Mariner" in the file list that appears. Assuming you have the Flash plug-in installed, it will just start to stream immediately. That way, you won't have to download the whole song.

Cheers
David

Re: Abyss - Wed, 26 Jan 2005 05:37:00

David, Mariner is really great! There's one pure Vangelis-sound in there, like the one he uses in "Oceanic". It really fits there!! Great!

Re: Abyss - Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:56:00

Quote:
David, Mariner is really great! There's one pure Vangelis-sound in there, like the one he uses in "Oceanic". It really fits there!! Great!
Thanks for that!

There a whole bunch of other tracks on the site. I'd be interested in hearing what people thought of them!

Cheers
David