Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#9782 - Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:18:00 So where is he now?
N14AZ Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Hannover
I changed plane in LHR yesterday and I was worrying there could be huge delays due to the hundreds of Ultravox-fans trying to say hello to Warren Cann. But nothing! I then had a look in some trash bins to see all the used “Welcome-Back Warren” and “Warren, I want to have a baby from you”- billboards. But also nothing!

So, where is he now?

PS.:oops, I forgot – I am not 16 anymore…

#9783 - Wed, 04 Mar 2009 00:40:00 Re: So where is he now?
Oesterreicher II Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
[So, where is he now?]

Probably even as I write suavely wearing a robust, high-collared leather flying coat and business-like gauntlets, seated at the controls of a worthy old Dakota, hopping through some mid-Atlantic turbulence, with the Iron Lung stretching and straining at the straps which secure it to the cold floor and charts systematically taped out before him indicating his next remote and rocky re-fuelling stop. Later this evening, I imagine he'll have to lash the yoke to a steady course whilst he crawls out onto a wing to hack off the accumulating ice (and where he may, perhaps, sit and whistle for the sake of the lyric) before heading onwards, steering by the stars, for a small airfield in the Kent countryside.

Now, that would be an arrival.

[PS.:oops, I forgot – I am not 16 anymore…]

Neither am I, but what the heck!

#9784 - Wed, 04 Mar 2009 04:05:00 Re: So where is he now?
Cromlech Offline

Loc: Wales :the lumpy bit on the si...
Unfortunately:

...heavy flak (...or was it a pigeon?...) over the Isle Of White...

Momentarily snapped back from the reverie of his old squadronmates seriously walloping unplugged hexagonal drum pads on an ancient mission (...he never had the heart to tell them it was actually a sequenced drumtrack...) our lantern-jawed hero makes one infinitesimal tactical error....

...one that would, nonetheless, have far-reaching consequences...

He drops his Cuppa Soup.

As the molten lava of the Tomato Anchovie and Dutch Crouton Surprise applies a surprisingly vicious caress to the original Sanforised Cotton of his Khaki slacks he rears wildly, as angry and confused as a stoat.

Pure unvarnished Canadian screams fill the cockpit.

But he is, after all, our hero...

As the venerable DC3 lurches wildly without the basic luxury of assured hands at the column, a can of Emergency Brylcreme is torn from a canvas pouch and swiftly - yet expertly - applied to the area of his convenience snack rage (...only a true electroGod knows the calming power of that incredible pomade...)...

The controls once again at his command, this nugget of finely honed machismo swiftly applies the remains of that 'gel' to his prematurely terrified bouffant and extinguishes all readout light, save that of his altimeter and compass.

Too low to jump....

The safety of the top secret collection of percussive technology swathed in netting in the aft section is his only consideration now.

The Iron Lung must survive!!

Thus, in the eerie green glow of his remaining illuminated dials, he peers with steely intent through the flak / pigeon shattered windshield....

His determination is clear.

His course certain.

...and he is now absolutely convinced that he didn't leave the gas on at home....

Hang a left and drop that puppy down into fourth.

Edinburgh here we come!

viking

#9785 - Wed, 04 Mar 2009 04:54:00 Re: So where is he now?
Llais Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Llandybie, S W Wales
lmao

#9786 - Wed, 04 Mar 2009 05:19:00 Re: So where is he now?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mad as a box of frogs - both of them!!!! nutjob laugh

#9787 - Wed, 04 Mar 2009 07:11:00 Re: So where is he now?
Oesterreicher II Offline

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
Quote:
Originally posted by Cromlech:

Hang a left and drop that puppy down into fourth.

Edinburgh here we come!

viking
Ah, the hazards of period in-flight catering and the risks inherent in introducing inconvenient convenience foods! Thank the living Lord for the resistant properties of the robust cotton drill gentleman's trouser, forces' issue, 1942.

Hanging a left, indeed, as the distant lights of Ireland twinkle in the blackness; all thoughts of a safe Kentish haven jettisoned along with the steaming, near-fissile remnants of a Cuppa-Soup which is plummeting seawards, later to hit the unfortunate deck of a Liberian-registered whelk steamer dredging illegally off the coast of the Irish Republic and inducing a spontaneous case of the Rapture in the credulous crew; all thoughts fixed on limping on in the venerable and shuddering sky-camel that has borne him thus far across the sweeping deserts of the air. The moon grazing off the foam-flecked surface of the sea flashes tiny beacons on what is left of the cockpit windshield like the reassuring blinkings on the Iron Lung itself, the regular beat of light and the engines saying that, still, all is well, this song goes on, hold it steady and bring this baby down when the time is right.

Onwards, across the Isle of Man, a high, dark, throbbing ghost passing over the sleeping millionaires and their frankly crap public services, heading inexorably towards the coast of Scotland. Sleepless for 72 hours, no on-board loo (and no pound coins to operate it anyway) it's time for a Player's Navy Cut from a pig-skin case as fingers thrum out a complex rhythm on the crackle-finish metal of the bulkhead, the rhythm that should have accompanied "Dream On" and made it a true classic; and it's noted down in an old pocket book, accurately indexed for time, date, location, bearing and barometric pressure.

And still, onwards, sweeping wide up the west coast, low over Skye, north still further and ever lower over watching, timeless Callanish as the first stains finger the hem of the eastern sky, the wing tips dipping a salute to times gone by; and then banking hard round, climbing over Steornabhagh, into the rising sun and east, to Embra; east, and a return to Eden . . .

#9788 - Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:26:00 Re: So where is he now?
Black Shadow Offline

Loc: Bahamut Lagoon
Nice one Cromlech and Ost II. cool

#9789 - Wed, 04 Mar 2009 21:24:00 Re: So where is he now?
Gillian Offline

Loc: East of Eden but Returning
I dread to think what he'd make of this thread if he stumbled across it. Do you think he has any idea how the faithfull regard him with almost Messianic reverence....... Stuff William Shatner I think we should campaign to make Waren the next Govenor General of Canada. Who's with me!!! welcome

#9790 - Wed, 04 Mar 2009 21:47:00 Re: So where is he now?
N14AZ Offline

Loc: Hannover
Quote:
seated at the controls of a worthy old Dakota
Oh yes, I am too stupid - I didn’t consider that he came with a cargo plane because of his iron lung.

Maybe with one of those Antonov 124s stored in the cargo area. You know these huge Russian airplanes with hanging wings as if they heard too much depressive Ultravox songs such as “Your name”, “Building on my life alone” etc

P.S.: is it inappropriate if I ask for some real info?
P.P.S: I really think UV should do more PR…

#9791 - Sat, 07 Mar 2009 06:22:00 Re: So where is he now?
Mrs. X Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Gillian:
I dread to think what he'd make of this thread if he stumbled across it. Do you think he has any idea how the faithfull regard him with almost Messianic reverence....... Stuff William Shatner I think we should campaign to make Waren the next Govenor General of Canada. Who's with me!!! welcome
I'd like him better than the one we have already!!! laugh Still...Governor-General? BAH! How about Prime Minister?! Yeah! Stephen Harper MUST be replaced, and who better to fill the position?

At the very least, I would love to start a campaign to have Warren get a spot on Canada's Walk Of Fame in Toronto... smile

Mrs. X

#9792 - Mon, 09 Mar 2009 17:33:00 Re: So where is he now?
Sleepwalker Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Aye both Cromlech & Ost ll are a couple of Thomas Dolby / Magnus Pike type scientists!

He'll now be sitting behind his big shiney new drum kit part accoustic, part electronic...& to his left lies a nice wee Apple Macbook pro with all the goodies in it excited

#9793 - Mon, 09 Mar 2009 23:39:00 Re: So where is he now?
Gillian Offline

Loc: East of Eden but Returning
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. X:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gillian:
[b] I dread to think what he'd make of this thread if he stumbled across it. Do you think he has any idea how the faithfull regard him with almost Messianic reverence....... Stuff William Shatner I think we should campaign to make Waren the next Govenor General of Canada. Who's with me!!! welcome
I'd like him better than the one we have already!!! laugh Still...Governor-General? BAH! How about Prime Minister?! Yeah! Stephen Harper MUST be replaced, and who better to fill the position?

At the very least, I would love to start a campaign to have Warren get a spot on Canada's Walk Of Fame in Toronto... smile

Mrs. X [/b]
I think we should do this and get people to sign up for it (a) on here and (b) on the tour. Let's "reap the wild wind" of enthusiasm (see what I did there?? laugh )

#9794 - Sat, 14 Mar 2009 08:23:00 Re: So where is he now?
Mrs. X Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Yeah. ha ha ha :p

Mrs. X

#9795 - Sat, 21 Mar 2009 04:41:00 Re: So where is he now?
DougG Offline

Loc: Near(ish) Montreal, Canada
So where is he now?

If he has seen this , he's probably in hiding.

wink

#9796 - Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:38:00 Re: So where is he now?
Llais Offline

Loc: Llandybie, S W Wales
He was on Facebook at 2.00 this morning wink

#9797 - Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:44:00 Re: So where is he now?
Craven Offline

Loc: London
Ha - thats a quality forum!

#9798 - Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:06:00 Re: So where is he now?
Glenn Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Governor-General? BAH! How about Prime Minister?! Yeah! Stephen Harper MUST be replaced, and who better to fill the position?

Mrs. X
Hey, just tell me where to sign. We can petition for both at once..............

#9799 - Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:12:00 Re: So where is he now?
Lavaocean Offline

Loc: Barcelona
During the tour, both of them have been talking so much about this thread that I have finally checked it oot...

I have tears in my eyes from laughing!!!

This is too much... too good... I have no idea what an iron lung is (it sounds very ugly, though) but... I'll look it up. Definitely.

nutjob

#9800 - Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:39:00 Re: So where is he now?
Cromlech Offline

Loc: Wales :the lumpy bit on the si...
Dear Ms O

Not an Iron Lung...it's the Iron Lung.

Mr Cann's Original Suite Of Percussive Technologies ( or McOsopt, as it's known in Glasgow) was the huge sideboard-sized rack of drum machines, rhythm machines and random perspex boxes that provided the 1980's with some of it's most interesting backbeats.

As suggested in another thread earlier this year, it's now been replaced by a wrist-watch (...well, a MacBook Pro, anyhoo...)

Just FYI

viking

#9801 - Tue, 05 May 2009 19:54:00 Re: So where is he now?
Lavaocean Offline

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!! So it's THE Iron Lung then... Thanks for clarifying, Mr. C (it still sounds ugly though confused2 ).

Good luck in Islington!

* i *

#9802 - Wed, 06 May 2009 05:07:00 Re: So where is he now?
Emulator Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
It was a wardrobe-sized rack of all of Warren's drum machine arsenal. Indeed it housed all of the machines he'd used in Ultravox across the years so boasted about six actual machines plus several drum 'brains' which were linked to electronic pads on his drum kit as well as a mixer and effects units to handle them all. It was quite a beast!

It's ironic really: he went from a basic drum machine to his left in 1977-8 to a huge rig during the 80s and has now gone back to just one unit: a laptop!

#9803 - Wed, 06 May 2009 23:02:00 Re: So where is he now?
Lavaocean Offline

Yes, yes, yes, thank you, E. - I just did not happen to know that the impressive construct actually had a name. lmao

Hope WC got home safely. It was a real pleasure meeting Mrs. Cann, btw!! smile

#9804 - Thu, 07 May 2009 00:34:00 Re: So where is he now?
Pete C Offline

Loc: Cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavaocean:
We are born naked and we leave life naked. And in between, we dress like parrots sometimes.
Wow - There's a song in there somewhere.

Midge, if you're listening, and you're in that rehearsal room now with the boys...

#9805 - Thu, 07 May 2009 01:18:00 Re: So where is he now?
Lavaocean Offline

OH NO!!! No pun intended!!! Really!! shocked

Oh, for Heaven's sake - can people just give him a break with that shirt?!? eek

I liked it!!! No, no - I really did! It was... perhaps... a bit unusual to see him dressed up like that... and according to one of his daughters, quotes Ö II (Roundhouse), it looked like Autumn had vomitted all over him etc. etc.

HOWEVER (comma), we shouldn't get there. We just should NOT get there. Especially not here.

So let's get back to THE iron lung and whatever may be left about to comment... Surely someone wants to add something more to it, no? confused

Or...perhaps... an elegant description of... the flight back?

lmao

#9806 - Thu, 07 May 2009 06:08:00 Re: So where is he now?
PASSINGSTRANGER Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: St. Albans U.K
So where is he now?
I saw him in an airport, while he was sitting on a wing.
And I waved to him, but I don't think he noticed me.
nervouslaugh
Bests,
Rob.

#9807 - Thu, 07 May 2009 23:30:00 Re: So where is he now?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavaocean:
it looked like Autumn had vomitted all over him

lmao

#9808 - Fri, 08 May 2009 00:23:00 Re: So where is he now?
Caroline Offline

Loc: Whitstable, Kent
QUOTE]Originally posted by Lavaocean:
it looked like Autumn had vomitted all over him

Yep, you can always rely on your kids to break it to you gently! lmao

#9809 - Fri, 08 May 2009 00:26:00 Re: So where is he now?
Anonymous
Unregistered

biglaugh biglaugh biglaugh

#9810 - Fri, 08 May 2009 00:59:00 Re: So where is he now?
Lavaocean Offline

Ohhhh, look! Squirrels!!!! nervouslaugh