Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#9498 - Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:05:00 Me in Midge's autobiography?
1.Outside Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Birmingham
I wrote to Midge a few years ago about how his music helped me through the death of my father when I was a teenager. Someone in a similar position has got a mention on p247. Hopefully it's me. Cheers Midge.

#9499 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:42:00 Re: Me in Midge's autobiography?
The airman Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: sussex
Strangely enough, I also lost my dad when I was 18, back in 1985. I found the best way to deal with the situation was to drive for miles at a time with Ultravox and Gary Numan albums for company.
At that time, I would not listen to anyone else.

#9500 - Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:30:00 Re: Me in Midge's autobiography?
1.Outside Offline

I actually listened mostly to the Japan 'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' album at the time, it's lush and not-in-your-face feel seemed appropriate, but I also listened to plenty of Ultravox. I couldn't drive (I was only just 17) but my equivalent was to lock myself in my room with only my records and 'music centre' for company. I mailed Midge about this many years later because, as time's gone on, I realised more and more how music helped me through - giving my own interpretation to the lyrics etc.

#9501 - Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:58:00 Re: Me in Midge's autobiography?
Joby Offline

Loc: Louth, UK
What a top post...I feel for you guys, I really do.

#9502 - Mon, 10 Jan 2005 04:06:00 Re: Me in Midge's autobiography?
1.Outside Offline

Thanks Joby.

#9503 - Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:59:00 Re: Me in Midge's autobiography?
DJ K.A.L.I. Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh
I am so sorry to hear all the sad news. The thing is, when my Grandmother's died, I would listen to songs I thought appropriate at the time. The Internet wasn't exactly in everyone's homes yet either.

When my Uncle died, I came on here and wrote about him and people here helped me out a lot.

Ever notice we go to things that help in times of sadness, and it's never actually a member of the family it seems but outside of it?

You'd think differently, but it's not like that. For some reason (and it's so much easier now with the Internet) you can talk to someone you haven't really met in person, but because of similar interests in a band, TV show, Play, or Poetry site, you gravitate toward them, and it helps a lot. smile

#9504 - Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:26:00 Re: Me in Midge's autobiography?
Mr. Weirdo Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: land of the lost souls ...
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ K.A.L.I.:
Ever notice we go to things that help in times of sadness, and it's never actually a member of the family it seems but outside of it?

You'd think differently, but it's not like that. For some reason (and it's so much easier now with the Internet) you can talk to someone you haven't really met in person, but because of similar interests in a band, TV show, Play, or Poetry site, you gravitate toward them, and it helps a lot. smile
u are so right , dear dj k.a.l.i. !!! smile

fyi : i've met not only my beloved girlfriend ivy from slovenia via i-net , but also A_LOT of other really nice fellows , who've become rather good friends also in "real life" thereafter !!! *thankful_smile*

sure , this media also has its downsides & dangers , but without it , my life wouldn't be the same as it is right now , which is basically a good thing for me !!! wink

anyway ... c u ! smile

- olaf

#9505 - Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:45:00 Re: Me in Midge's autobiography?
Oesterreicher II Offline

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
I remember when my mother died I felt almost nothing - it was something happening a way away, it was a lot of conflicting unfeelings. That might sound heartless and uncaring, but it was a result of the place I was in me at the time - and grieving is a deeply personal thing, a thing for the living, not the dead; coupled with the fact that my Mum was on a one-way street and death was a release from a remorseless illness, the end to the end (at the finish, she weighed under 6 1/2 stone and was on more daily opiates than a touring rock band. The future was hardly bright). I used music to get myself back in touch, to help myself realise, to make myself grieve. "The bereaved must work out their sorrows", I've heard it said, and I needed a little help to get the process started. All I really remember through the whisky and efforts not to scratch the vinyl was Bob Geldof's "I Cry Too" and some MAGAZINE, maybe RUNRIG's "Lament for Red Ian" (and I won't embarrass myself and those who have the Gaellic by trying to remember and spell the actual Gaellic title!). It was only when, years later, I discovered her voice on an old answer-phone machine micro-cassette - the last message she ever left me - that it really hit home. The irony is that, without her passing, I might not be where I am today, doing what I do: one of the last things she said to me was, "Do it now, before it's too late" - don't reach the end of your life wishing you'd done things years ago. God Bless her.

#9506 - Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:02:00 Re: Me in Midge's autobiography?
Mr. Weirdo Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: land of the lost souls ...
that's indeed a very touchin' story , dear "oe II" !!! *sigh*
especially the bit with "the voice from the past" - so to say - on the ol' tape ... simply stunnin' & i bet it was somehow a bit scary too !!! eek

well ... like i also use to say : "NOW is the time !!!" , as we CAN'T live in the past nor in the future , but jus' NOW_!!!

anyway ... c u ! smile

- olaf