Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#92294 - Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:35:00 Live Aid Progs Tonight on BBC2
Mike C Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Blyth, Northumberland
Two programmes tonight on BBC2 covering Live Aid. The first one is Live Aid:Against All Odds at 9.25pm and the second is straight after, Live Aid:Rockin' All Over The World at 10.55pm. smile

#92295 - Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:35:00 Re: Live Aid Progs Tonight on BBC2
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
I can feel another DVD comng on here...

#92296 - Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:29:00 Re: Live Aid Progs Tonight on BBC2
ElKel Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Bristol, England
Nice to see Annabel Giles being all defensive on MU's part about his being sidelined, but she wasn't terribly ladylike in expressing her opinion of Bob Geldof, was she? wink

What I found shocking was the lack of commitment from rock stars in the run-up to the event, I couldn't believe how touch and go it was so close to the date! But I've been inspired to go and buy the DVD now. . .

#92297 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:38:00 Re: Live Aid Progs Tonight on BBC2
Mike C Offline

Loc: Blyth, Northumberland
A very interesting 3 hours. I haven't got the official DVD so don't know how much of these programmes are on it, if at all. It was amazing to hear some of the first hand accounts of what happened on the day itself not just before and after. I thought Midge was being very gracious towards Geldof considering some of the ways he seemed to get one over on Midge.

It was also interesting to hear the opinions of different parties as to why Ultravox and Boomtown Rats were swapped in the running order. Some believed it was because Geldof wanted the Rats to play in front of royalty but Bob denied this. In the end the Rats did play in front of Chuck and Di and Ultravox didn't. Midge was quite pissed off about this but didn't lay the blame at Gelodof's door. Bob said he wasn't arsed and that it wasn't his decision. All Bob was bothered about was that the Rats appeared. So why was the swap made?

As well as being full of little snippets of info like that it was good to take a trip down memory lane and look at the life in the 80s once again. smile

#92298 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 03:46:00 Re: Live Aid Progs Tonight on BBC2
Si_W Offline

What annoyed me more, thinking about it last night, was this. Ultravox were not the only opening band after Status Quo who were going to open regardless. Midge was also a Band Aid trustee so why was his band chosen to move in the schedule?

#92299 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:06:00 Re: Live Aid Progs Tonight on BBC2
PASSINGSTRANGER Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: St. Albans U.K
Quote:
Midge was also a Band Aid trustee so why was his band chosen to move in the schedule?
I may be opening a Pandoras Box here nervouslaugh and may be taking the above out of context!! (if I have then I apologise).

But was Ultravox Midges Band confused
I reckon it was more Billy's Band as he was there from the bands inception along with Warren.
Don't get me wrong theres no doubting Midges musical abilities and he was good for the band.
It just irritates me when I see and have heard the words, Midge Ure & Ultravox! mad
Rant over, I'll get my coat..... sad

#92300 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:21:00 Re: Live Aid Progs Tonight on BBC2
Si_W Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PASSINGSTRANGER:
[QUOTE]I may be opening a Pandoras Box here nervouslaugh and may be taking the above out of context!! (if I have then I apologise).

But was Ultravox [b]Midges
Band confused
I reckon it was more Billy's Band as he was there from the bands inception along with Warren.
[/b]
Yes, you have taken out of context a little, but I'll forgive you. laugh I just meant the band that Midge was in rather than the one he was leading as I believe Ultravox in his day at least was probably more of a collective than anything-else.