Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#92275 - Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:00:00 Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hear tonight on the radio that, apparantly, The Sex Pistols are the latest act to be close to signing to play the Live8 gig(s).

So, really, someone tell me - if this is true, what the blinkin' flip is going on. Surely this would prove that the whole thing is just getting stupid and a tad out of hand now!

Just out of interest, what year was 'Never Mind the...' released. Is it coming up for the 30th anniversary??? And is a re-issue needed??..

bemused

sad

Yours, bemused and confused

EG

#92276 - Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:13:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
DJ K.A.L.I. Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Pittsburgh
"We're so pretty, oh so pretty...Vacant!"
lmao

Ok, so maybe they want to be part of history again and for a good cause. I dunno...would be interesting if it's true.

Too bad the Ramones are no more. Now that would be something! Saw them in 1986 and they were excellent. Had a drunk guy climbing on me practically thru the entire thing and not in a good way. My bro had to pull him off. It was surreal.

#92277 - Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:04:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Mrs. X Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
The Sex Pistols? Doing something for charity? I find this a bit hard to believe. They reform every now and then for their own financial gain! Not someone else's! Pish... :p I'd check the official site to see if it's real.

Never Mind The Bollocks was released in 1977, by the way, so it won't turn 30 for another year and a half (or thereabouts). wink

Mrs. X

#92278 - Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:07:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
Lifted from the News Of The World's (not known for it's reliability!) Website today.

EXCLUSIVE:Legendary punk band reform for Live 8 gig

Nevermind the politics, here's the Sex Pistols (again!)

By Rav Singh

THERE'S a Rotten surprise in store this coming Live 8 . . . punk gods the SEX PISTOLS are reforming for the gig.

It's another extraordinary coup for the Geldof team who have already lined up the SPICE GIRLS for the Hyde Park concert.

And it promises to be one of the highlights of an already phenomenal event.

Live 8 organisers have been in touch with the remaining members of the band for the past fortnight in a bid to get the Seventies legends on the bill.

STEVE JONES, PAUL COOK and GLEN MATLOCK all agreed several days ago and now I can exclusively reveal that after much toing and froing JOHNNY ROTTEN has finally rubber stamped the deal. Johnny—real name JOHN LYDON—was considering the offer for most of the week but decided on Friday that he IS up for it. I'm told: "The others said ‘Yes' straight away but Johnny took his time.

"He knew the rest of the band had given the reunion the green light so in the end he agreed."

After a brief but infamous career crashing out albums like Never Mind The B******s, the Pistols disbanded shortly after bassist SID VICIOUS died of an overdose in 1979.

Sid had joined the band two years earlier, replacing Matlock, who then filled the void when the band reunited in 1996.

Lucrative

After some lucrative gigs in 2002 and 2003 (and an appearance for Johnny on I'm A Celeb...) the Pistols are now back again for the Live 8 gig on Saturday, July 2.

My source added: "No one ever thought they would see the day that the Sex Pistols would reform. But because Live 8 is such a special event it has made it possible.

"And it wouldn't have been the same without Johnny."

And there you have it. The pistols playing for Charidee - what ever next??? confused2

#92279 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 04:51:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
leggylady Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. X:
The Sex Pistols? Doing something for charity? I find this a bit hard to believe. Mrs. X
I think what you seem to be forgetting is that Live8 is not about charity...... the WHOLE POINT is that it's meant to be a political statemeant. It's to make a point.... I actually can't think of a better act to sum up this ethic!

#92280 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:30:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
quietman Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Well keeping Mr. Lydon and reforming the original line up of PiL with Keith Levene and Jah Wobble might be interesting and just as appropriate.

#92281 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:21:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Becca_dup1 Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: London
And the fact the original live aid generated oodles of sales after the event for those that performed may not have gone unnoticed.

#92282 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:24:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
So are Midge and The Boomtown Rats performing as well? wink

#92283 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:56:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
Quote:
Originally posted by Si_W:
So are Midge and The Boomtown Rats performing as well? wink
Don't be silly - Midge was never in the Boomtown Rats.... wink

#92284 - Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:34:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Mrs. X Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
confused2

So, no...the Rats won't be playing. If they were, then I'd call for an Ultravox reunion. It would only make sense!

Mrs. X

#92285 - Tue, 21 Jun 2005 03:45:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Oesterreicher II Offline

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
Consider: back in the 1970s, when one Bill Grundy rather patronisingly and ill-advisedly goaded a bunch of tartan-trousered, spike-haired stick thin youths into giving a brief speech to the nation, the sight and sound of young 'uns swearing on TV was truly shocking and had the desired effect on their careers and record sales. These days, that's old hat and as tame as a small cuddly kitten with a First Class Honours Degree in Tameness and with most of its brain missing and in a coma; but what more shocking now than a bunch of aging men who were once the scourge of the establishment coming back to do something charitable and then swearing a lot into the bargain? It might be more tartan slippers than tartan bondage trews, but it'll still have the power to shock, like seeing your granny drunk and telling stories about how sex definitely wasn't discovered in the sixties. We're talking post-modern ironic shocking here, perhaps. Or maybe just b*ll*cks.

#92286 - Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:21:00 Re: Oh for God's sake - stop mucking around as this just getting plain stupid now!!!.....
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Oh, never mind the b*llocks...