Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#91327 - Thu, 14 May 2009 02:47:00 an old hand
robak Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Herts
Hi, I've got to stop lurking and dropping in fresh posts again after all this time, it's rude smile

Actually, it sounds daft, but this is slightly intimidating in that you all seem to know each so well - as evidenced by the Voxgate pix and the chat on here - whereas as I don't, yet, and sadly didn't get the opportunity to meet any of you at either London show (holiday cover at work on the week of the Camden show scuppered that one, so good job I didn't buy a ticket late in the day for that one - sorry I missed you there Rodney, Rob et al).

I used to be a member of the old single list EV forum way back in the mists of time, but never really had the time to get in to the multiple topic forum due to the book I've been working on for almost 20 years (a mammoth reference work about Marvel's UK comics) but I absolutely had to rejoin to find out how the tour was going, after what I thought were my old login details didn't seem to work all these years later.

It was the Vienna single, well the video really, that was to blame; Ultravox propelling me properly, albeit belatedly, in to the charts in my late teens... which should give you an idea of my age, I guess smile And I soon became a fan of much of the electropop and left-field scene, and the proud owner of way too many records and CDs of all genres than is good for me smile I never saw Ultravox live during their original run in any incarnation, even though I was once offered free tickets to one of the Monument shows (what was I thinking), but I was certainly a loyal member of the original UIS fan club - remember that? - from day one.

Strangely, I didn't try EV from the recommendation they were given in the final issue of The Voice, perhaps because I was so disheartened by the unfortunate saga of the "pink thing", and the way the band just quietly faded out after that. In fact I only came upon Extreme Voice because I was a regular reader of Record Collector and saw a review of EV there a few years later.

I loved what Cerise was doing with it already back then, and what Rob then brought to it when he later hopped on board the EV-voxmobile - but who knew where all that hard work and dedication would lead to! I bet their past selves would be shocked if their future selves could tip them off wink I've had the very great pleasure to get know them both over the course of the past decade and more. This eventually lead to my setting up the magazine re:VOX when EV went live on the web. I'd always wanted to do something Ultravox in print, which is why I foolishly offered to write the Overlook press review columns for a few of their latter issues, and so I remain deeply indebted to them for then helping me to continue a service in print for those Ultravox fans who can't frequent the web.

And if it wasn't for their generosity, well, I would never have had an article on the Rage in Eden era from an old issue that I could use to show to the editor at Record Collector when I was trying to persuade them to let me write about our favourite band (yep, that one was my fault, sorry) and so subsequently would never have had the opportunity to interview Billy and Chris in-depth partly for that feature (and in full for the next re:VOX).

I'm sure they won't mind me adding my voice to all the other praise they're having to endure right now (I'm sure they'll cope), as I feel a very public thanks to them both is in order, both from me and all our readers, who've been equally jazzed by news of the whole reunion and tour too!

It seems you've all thoroughly enjoyed the shows - I've certainly enjoyed reading, and seeing the pictorial evidence, about what you've thought of them - and I know it's a bit odd to be that big a fan of them and not to have seen them live, but it'll now be either any TV screening of their Isle of Wight show or the Roundhouse DVD that will be my first exposure to Vox 2009. Better late than never, I guess.

And should they tour London again, well, maybe I'll get a chance next time, who knows.

Keep torquing smile

Rob (Kirby)

#91328 - Thu, 14 May 2009 11:52:00 Re: an old hand
c23 Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: New York USA
welcome back to the forum! Got your email, will get back to you today. Thanks, David

#91329 - Thu, 14 May 2009 15:36:00 Re: an old hand
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
Welcome back aboard Rob. You have mail!

Chappie cool

#91330 - Thu, 14 May 2009 17:22:00 Re: an old hand
leggylady Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
Hiya Rob,
Don't be intimidated..... welcome to the family! wink

#91331 - Thu, 14 May 2009 17:53:00 Re: an old hand
Fenfen Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Totnes, Devon
Hi Rob

Welcome!

Yes, I remember UIS, I was indeed a member myself - in the days before the internet. When we had to wait for the post to arrive to receive any info re Ultravox. Ha ha, good old days.

Fen

#91332 - Thu, 14 May 2009 19:07:00 Re: an old hand
Brian Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: 6 "Miles away" from ...
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum.

You have mail:)

Brian

#91333 - Thu, 14 May 2009 21:07:00 Re: an old hand
Annis Offline

Loc: Leeds
Hi Rob and welcome back. welcome

#91334 - Fri, 15 May 2009 05:35:00 Re: an old hand
robak Offline

Hi, well it is nice to be back, and thanks to everyone who's been so helpful with my little requests too. Very much appreciated.

Rob

#91335 - Sat, 16 May 2009 10:27:00 Re: an old hand
Black Shadow Offline

Loc: Bahamut Lagoon
Welcome to the Forums. laugh

#91336 - Wed, 20 May 2009 20:31:00 Re: an old hand
maryann Offline

Loc: new york
Welcome to the forum.

#91337 - Thu, 21 May 2009 04:26:00 Re: an old hand
H Offline

Loc: In a Darkroom somewhere in the...
Welcome smile

H

#91338 - Thu, 21 May 2009 05:15:00 Re: an old hand
robak Offline

Thanks - and 'Hi! to you all, too smile

Right now still wading through more e-mails of images for the next issue that people on here, and elsewhere on the ol' www, have kindly been allowing me to use.

This tour has certainly been well documented - which will make the final selection of images even harder... sigh wink !

Rob

#91339 - Thu, 21 May 2009 05:32:00 Re: an old hand
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
Welcome back Rob - good luck with the book (hopefully you're not sick to death of it by now...!) smile

#91340 - Fri, 22 May 2009 05:21:00 Re: an old hand
robak Offline

No, not at all - it's one of those never-ending things that constantly brings new surprises. I might mutter occasionally about how much time it's stolen, but like EV's tireless work, I wouldn't have missed it for anything because of the people I've met, the stories I've heard and material I've seen... and now I've got people from within the comics' industry coming to me with questions about this, so that's really gratifying smile

All good fun!

Rob