Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#91141 - Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:15:00 Complete Newbie (poss Manc spoilers)
ChoonyFish Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Manchester, UK
Hello.

New fan here, thanks to their gig in Manchester last week.

I'm 37, remember Ultravox from when I was a kid but never had any of their records, even though I loved Vienna at the time. (Pocket money was tight in those days - most of mine went on The Human League.)

When the gigs were announced for RTE2 I asked my best friend if she wanted to go. I could only name about 3 Ultravox songs, but thought it would be a nice nostalgic night out and I'd read good reviews about RTE1.

I came on this forum on the night of the gig to see what the setlist would be. When I saw that the first song I knew would be 10 songs in (Hymn) I was a bit worried and imagined myself propping up the bar.

I needn't have worried at all - it mattered NOT ONE BIT that we didn't know the songs because they were brilliant.

Mr X was astounding (I love Kraftwerk and was gripped by that one - wanted it to go on all night.)

Loved the violin (was expecting it to be keyboards). Loved the drums at the end of The Voice. Nice touch.

I'll be buying their back catalogue shortly, having made do with Spotify since. Love the RTE1 CD - except it doesn't have Love's Great Adventure on it. LGA was fab live.

We were really impressed, the Apollo was alive from song two and even though everyone* else in the room knew all these album tracks we'd never heard before we had a great time.

There's so much music in the world and so many band forums to frequent but not enough hours in the day - whether I'm a frequent visitor here or not remains to be seen. Just wanted you all to know that your favourite band just earned themselves another fan.

* I was second row of the balcony, right side. There were 4 people in front of us and none of them moved throughout. Not a head nod, not a foot tap. My best friend saw the couple in front of me "have a little snog" when Vienna was on - must have been their song. As soon as it finished they got up and left! I couldn't believe it. How rude. Why go to a concert just to hear ONE song? The mind boggles.

#91142 - Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:28:00 Re: Complete Newbie (poss Manc spoilers)
Havocman Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Moving westwards as soon as po...
Greetings, ChoonyFish. welcome

#91143 - Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:13:00 Re: Complete Newbie (poss Manc spoilers)
Staci Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
Hello and welcome. Glad you're now a fan! Staci
welcome

#91144 - Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:45:00 Re: Complete Newbie (poss Manc spoilers)
JVox Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Sweden
Hello, hope you will enjoy the forum. welcome