Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#90823 - Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:04:00 Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
Thin Wall Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Bradenton, Florida, USA
Hi everyone,

Finally managed to sign up at last, though I have visited the forum previously. However, being a full time student I didn't sign up as I knew I'd end up spending too much time being distracted from my studies! As I've nearly finished the course and have the assignments all submitted I finally have more time to spare.

Anyway, I've been a fan of Ultravox since the early 1980's and always find myself going back to their albums despite having about 800 vinyl albums and 100's of CD's covering many genres. I can even remember listening to the UK top 40 one sunday night, sometime around August/ September 1980 and hearing the presenter (Tommy Vance?) announcing the single "Sleepwalk" by Ultravox and also saying "with their new singer Midge Ure!" I subsequently heard them over the next two years until I heard the single "Hymn" on the radio and went about bought it in December 1982. That would be the begining of my love of Ultravox that is still there to this day.

I have a big soft spot for the early to mid 1980's as asides from them being my early teenage years the music around then was fantastic - Human League, AFOS, Gary Numan, Thomas Dolby, OMD, Tears For Fears, Duran Duran etc. were all bands that featured heavily on my stereo though Ultravox was my favourite band of all. Ultravox was also the first big gig I ever went to way back one Sunday night in June 1984, Set Movements tour at London's Hammersmith Odeon (before it became the Apollo). I remember that night like it was yesterday as it completely blew me away, an impressionable 15 year old at the time...

I also saw them in 1986 on the U-vox tour at Wembley Arena, November 5th I think as there were fireworks going off around London. The gig wasn't a patch on the 1984 gig and Mark Brzecki, as good a drummer as he is, just didn't suit the music like Warren did. And little did I know it would be nearly 23 years before I would see them again.

So imagine my joy when I heard that classic 1980's Ultravox were to reunite and the 2009 dates were anounced last year on the radio while I was driving to my work placements. Suffice to say I rushed back home and managed to secure 2nd row from the front (!) tickets for the Bournemouth dates as all the good Hammersmith Apollo seats had gone. When the Roundhouse gig was later announced I went crazy and bought tickets for that gig too!

I did wonder what to expect as I'd always rated the 1984 Set Movements show as one of my all time favourite gigs. It would be nearly 25 years later that I would see the original line play together again, after I'd since seen many other bands play and ended up playing in many bands myself. I was wondering if I was looking back with rose tinted specs and the reality would disappoint greatly, so I was somewhat nervous about what to expect. But when they opened the show with the opening bars of Astradyne I knew something special was about to happen and Midge, Billy, Chris and Warren didn't disappoint. To say I was blown away (just like I was in 1984) was an understatement as the boys unleashed classic Ultravox songs one after the other including my all time favourite that I'd never heard played live - "The Thin Wall". I could barely fault the set list as it was almost perfect. I'd like to have heard "The Song (we go)" and "Accent on Youth" played but that's purely for me to have the most perfect Ultravox set list ever! My best mate who came with me declared that never did understand why I was into them back in the 1980's but did now as he was equally blown away by the gig!

The subsequent London Roundhouse gig was equally as mindblowing if a little sweatier and cramped compared with Bournemouth! I even managed to meet a couple of members from this forum there, Battlepuppy was one and also a lady with her daughter (I forget their names - sorry!) We were all second and third row from the front (with the mad looking big haired German guy in front) and almost opposite Billy. They probably all remember me as the guy going crazy during the Thin Wall! nutjob It was a great night even though I had a University assignment to finish upon getting home to hand in the next day eek

So hearing that Ultravox are to tour again in 2010 I'll suffice to say that at 9am on Wednesday morning I will be booking tickets online! Can't wait to see them again.

Apologies for the long introduction and reminiscence, but I am excited all over again to see the band that inspired me when I was not even even my teens. See you all at the gigs next year!

Clark aka "Thin Wall"

#90824 - Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:57:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
Flip Martian Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Here
Blimey, wot an essay! eek Just kidding mate - welcome. smile

#90825 - Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:40:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
Staci Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
Hi! Another enthusiast! Welcome.
welcome

#90826 - Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:35:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
StrangerWithin Offline

Loc: in exile
Hi and welcome

#90827 - Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:50:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
Pater Noster Offline

Loc: London
Howdy from West London ! laugh

#90828 - Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:45:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
Desolate Angel Offline

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
Welcome! Great story! You must have been stood nr me at the Roundhouse!!

#90829 - Wed, 25 Nov 2009 04:44:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
Lilybelle Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Kent
Hi Clark aka Thin Wall
It was myself Zosia & my daughter Tamara at the Roundhouse we were standing with Battle puppy. What a great Night! Hope to see you at Hammersmith perhaps.
Enjoy the forum
welcome

#90830 - Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:38:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
Thin Wall Offline

Loc: Bradenton, Florida, USA
Thanks for the welcome everyone! smile

Yes, it was you Zosia and your daughter Tamara that I met, along with Battlepuppy, at the Roundhouse gig. I was there with my friend Mark who foolishly drank a pint of beer an 3/4 hour before the show started. He then needed a pee about 10 minutes before Ultravox came on and subsequently couldn't make his way back as the crowd then started to crush with the anticipation of Ultravox coming on stage. Silly boy! He's coming again with me as he wants another shot at seeing Ultravox, except this time he'll have a guaranteed seat!

I also remember seeing a group of people with Ultravox tee-shirts further to the right of the stage (near the front) so I suspect I have already been in close proximity with others from this very forum! Was that where you were Desolate Angel?

Anyway, glad to have joined up at last and look forward to seeing some of you at the gigs next year smile

#90831 - Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:00:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
Desolate Angel Offline

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
yep I was about 2/3 rows back from front. I was behind Zosia slightly more to the right. I think I was whacking everyone with my killer gloves with metal chains on as i was dancing!!! I was a bit merry!

#90832 - Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:59:00 Re: Greetings from a lifelong Ultravox fan
battlepuppy Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire
And hello from the other Roundhouse person, Battlepuppy (aka Andrew)!