Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#90084 - Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:45:00 Aussie Ultravox Wannabe's
JT Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: USA
Has anyone here ever heard the band "Mi-Sex"? I bought their "Space Race" album, simply for the band's name..They were interesting, but no big deal..They definately listened to Ultravox..

#90085 - Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:57:00 Re: Aussie Ultravox Wannabe's
Rodney Online   content
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
JT: Yes, I've certainly heard of Mi-Sex ... and I can confirm that they did indeed take their name from the Ultravox! track, My Sex.

Aside from Split Enz, I personally think that Mi-Sex were the most promising band of their era and it was a great shame that lead vocalist, Steve Gilpin, died as a result of a car accident in 1992. He'd actually written one of their last singles, Blue Day, after having a dream that he was going to die in a car accident. Sad but true.

By-the-way, New Zealand also has a chain of hairdressing salon's called 'Dangerous Rhythm'.

Cheers ...

#90086 - Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:55:00 Re: Aussie Ultravox Wannabe's
METAL BEAT Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Watford
I know this is the wrong thread but when John appeared in Brighton we used a pub called HA HA not quite HA HA HA
ha ha
Peter

#90087 - Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:36:00 Re: Aussie Ultravox Wannabe's
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Mi-Sex... "Computer Games" is very good (though cannot figure out the lyrics at all), but most of the rest of their material is... well, not that good. They have some more interesting songs, though.
More "synth power-pop" than "Ultravoxish", I think...

I can also add to the list Pseudo Echo, who openly admitted great Ultravox influence on their early stuff, and Real Life, who sounded very Ultravox-ish on the first album. That was very good stuff.