Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86997 - Tue, 23 Dec 2008 00:42:00 pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: in exile

'WE ARE ONE'

Any feedback as to whether 'We Are One' works would be appreciated! Still some tinkering to be done to it but hopefully not too much.

Photographing larger paintings is a real pain....almost impossible to get the light right, to get it square on, to eliminate shadows etc so apologies for the quality of the photo.

PS Image now replaced with finished version and better image

#86998 - Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:19:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm no artist - well aprt from a p**s one!! - or a photographer but I'll give you an opinion for what it's worth!!

Love the colours & the way you've sillhouetted London underneath the children's faces in the shape of Africa. Band Aid springs to mind.

#86999 - Wed, 24 Dec 2008 06:58:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Snashy:
I'm no artist .........but I'll give you an opinion for what it's worth!!

Love the colours & the way you've sillhouetted London underneath the children's faces in the shape of Africa. Band Aid springs to mind.
Thanks Snashy I appreciate your comments......its good to find out what folk get from a painting, whether it works.....my artwork is my 'voice' but it's fascinating to find out what others see in them.

All the paintings I post on here are of course inspired by Midge and painted to Midge and Ultravox music.

#87000 - Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:22:00 Re: pure art & soul
Havocman Offline

Loc: Moving westwards as soon as po...
Lovely stuff Jen. The faces are disconcertingly real and slightly unnerving!

#87001 - Wed, 24 Dec 2008 19:46:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Havocman:
Lovely stuff Jen. The faces are disconcertingly real and slightly unnerving!
Thanks Pete....thats quite a compliment! The boys faces were actually based on one of Midge's photos from his trip to Sierra Leone for Save the Children in 2006......I needed a reality base for this one. I tried to vary each face slightly whilst keeping similarities to be in keeping with 'We Are One'. And btw the hills behind Westminster are based on one of his photos of the Ethiopian hills.

Credit goes to Helen for the profile pic of Midge and to Midge for the Sierra Leone and Ethiopia pics !

#87002 - Thu, 25 Dec 2008 01:33:00 Re: pure art & soul
leggylady Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
oh shucks.... Jeez, enough will ya!
Looking good Jen..... distinctive as always, very definately your style. I envy you, to have your own distinctive style.... something that could not be emulated.
Keep up the good work hun! wink laugh

#87003 - Thu, 25 Dec 2008 02:22:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Loc: Sunderland
Quote:
I'm no artist - well aprt from a p**s one!!
biglaugh
And YOU say I have a way with words. he he. You made me chuckle there, Snash wink

Yes Jenny, nice work yet again. How long did it take to complete? Through my photography involvement I get to meet a few painters now and again, usually in galleries and similar places that display our work. One such fella showed me a painting of his and he said it took him A FEW months to do!! eek He said he didn't always have the right frame of mind to chip away at it, so he just went back to it whenever he felt inspired.

Yes, nice stuff, Jen. The artwork sits very well in the blue mount too. Very well presented, which is important.
cool cool cool
Ash

#87004 - Thu, 25 Dec 2008 03:25:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leggylady:
...... to have your own distinctive style.... something that could not be emulated.
....but let's face it who would want to lol!

That aside thank you! Appreciated!

#87005 - Thu, 25 Dec 2008 03:43:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CONNY'S PIG:
[QUOTE] How long did it take to complete? ..... One such fella showed me a painting of his and he said it took him A FEW months to do!! eek He said he didn't always have the right frame of mind to chip away at it, so he just went back to it whenever he felt inspired.

Ash
Thanks Ash. This one took several weeks and still needs some tinkering.....bit disrupted by the flu. I had a couple of others on the go too. One which I wrecked after several days work lol and another which is getting there.....will post it on here....one of my wierdest!

#87006 - Sat, 27 Dec 2008 06:36:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Amethyst:
[QUOTE] One which I wrecked after several days work lol and another which is getting there.....will post it on here....one of my wierdest!
Yes, let's av iiiiitt wink

#87007 - Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:35:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b] [QUOTE] One which I wrecked after several days work lol and another which is getting there.....will post it on here....one of my wierdest!
Yes, let's av iiiiitt wink [/b]
I second that.

Why did you "wreck" one of them? Was it a case of you just didn't like it or you had an accident with it which would have been a shame.

#87008 - Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:16:00 Re: pure art & soul
Lynne Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: New York
Quote:

One such fella showed me a painting of his and he said it took him A FEW months to do!! eek
Often a painting can take several weeks or months, that's not really unusual.

#87009 - Thu, 01 Jan 2009 07:49:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Well, this is the 'wierd' one........I've had innumerable attempts to photograph it but can't get the colours as they should be. The original is more vibrant and 'alive' (but the warm colours not so um bright lol) if that makes sense! I'm not too sure whether this one works.....and hesitated about posting it but what the hell! Need an objective view even if its to tell me its rubbish! Not quite at the point of destroying it having already wrecked two others now....mistakes that couldn't be rectified....watercolour is rather unforgiving!

Provisional title...'MEDLEY WITHIN'. Any better ideas appreciated!

Thanks to Helen for the profile pic which helped.

#87010 - Thu, 01 Jan 2009 19:27:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Not quite at the point of destroying it having already wrecked two others now....mistakes that couldn't be rectified....watercolour is rather unforgiving!

Provisional title...'MEDLEY WITHIN'. Any better ideas appreciated!
Don't you dare wreck it Jen!! It looks fantastic to me. Why throw all that hard work away?

#87011 - Thu, 01 Jan 2009 21:17:00 Re: pure art & soul
leggylady Offline

Hi Snashy,
I don't think she'd deliberately wreck it, but mistakes do happen, especially if you over work something. I think watercolour would be a bit of a nightmare for this (which is why I never use it! LOL)
Jen.... as with all your work it's very unusual. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's "weird"..... what is weird anyway? There's no such thing as weird/ bad/ crap/rubbish art (as mine have been called in the past) as it's all subjective.
I think it's strong Jen, I like it..... I wouldn't fiddle with it anymore though! It's better to have an unfinished piece than an overworked wrecked one! wink

#87012 - Thu, 01 Jan 2009 23:26:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks Snash......Helen's right.. its more a case of overtinkering that wrecks paintings though sometimes I do destroy them if I don't think they work well enough. Watercolour can be a difficult medium for the type of paintings I do but despite that its the medium I prefer. Trouble is the artist knows all the imperfections of a piece of work so its hard to be objective.....which is why its so useful to get feedback from other folk.

Helen.....your feedback means a lot to me....thank you! Even if only one or two folk like a piece of work that's enough to know it was worth the effort. As to 'wierd' it was kind of meant 'tongue in cheek' because some people have used that term.......'disturbing' was another one lol! (And a tendency to be self deprecating might just come into it too! ) As you so rightly say its all subjective.

Back to work.......2009 seems to have been ushered in with a flurry of inspiration from Mr Ure so I need to translate the ideas onto 'paper'. With only six weeks to go to the exhibition January is set to be a very busy month I think.

Thank you both again!

#87013 - Thu, 01 Jan 2009 23:29:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
There's no such thing as weird/ bad/ crap/rubbish art (as mine have been called in the past) as it's all subjective.
Glad to see comments like that haven't put you off - nor should they. If I really didn't like something I would just not say anything rather than hurt the person's feelings.

On a different subject - a few people would say the radio show I've just done is a pile of s***. I enjoyed it, hopefully the patients liked some if not all the music I played. It was after all, different to my normal Sunday show.

#87014 - Thu, 01 Jan 2009 23:33:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like to use the words refreshing, different, unusual, unique to describe your work Jen. I may not neccesarily understand what you are trying to get across as an artist - doesn't mean I can't still enjoy them all the same. Keep up the good work. smile

#87015 - Fri, 02 Jan 2009 00:34:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
I like to use the words refreshing, different, unusual, unique to describe your work Jen. I may not neccesarily understand what you are trying to get across as an artist....... smile
Thanks Snashy.....fortunately those words have been used more often than words like 'wierd'! If you ever want more info on what's behind certain paintings access them in the art gallery on my site as some of them have blurb about them. Not all....some I've left deliberately open to interpretation or the 'clue' is in the title.

PS Just added a few words about 'Medley Within' to the site.

#87016 - Fri, 02 Jan 2009 17:24:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for that Jen - I'll definitely take a look at your site.

#87017 - Sat, 03 Jan 2009 20:20:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just been looking at the sunset & Inverness shots on your photo gallery. Sunset 4 is my favourite from this category & I was especially in the Inverness castle shots - castles being a favourite thing of mine. Never been to Inverness, but years ago I took shots in & around Edinburgh & Stirling castles. Aahh - Happy Days!!

#87018 - Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:12:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

'IMAGINE THE POWER OF THE SONG'

This one was inspired by Mr Ure in the early hours of New Year's Day.....spent much of the next ten days working on it with almost non stop Midge and Ultravox music.....such hardship! wink Anyways its finished and ready for the exhibition......and hopefully works reasonably well.

Credits: Midge for the pic of the boy & Helen for the MU profile/guitar pics.......they helped!

#87019 - Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:48:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like this one a lot Jen. That's a brilliant likeness of Mr Ure. Hope all goes well with your exhibition. smile

#87020 - Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:44:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks Snashy....very much appreciated! I've just posted a better image of the painting......finally managed to get one in natural light even though a dull, wet day.

#87021 - Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:47:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Yes Jen - it's all good stuff.
Well done once again smile

#87022 - Mon, 12 Jan 2009 23:24:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, that looks even better. I love that shade of blue you use & the orange.

#87023 - Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:06:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks Ash and Snash!

#87024 - Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:19:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Just waiting for NASH THE SLASH to comment on your work now Jen wink biglaugh

#87025 - Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:10:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

She's already had Snash The Lash - one of my old school nicknames!!! roflmao (One of the KINDER ones I hasten to add!!!

#87026 - Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:03:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

'Call for Peace'

Finished this one today....peace....something the world badly needs. Title is provisional.

#87027 - Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:07:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bearing in mind a new President who has probably talked about peace in his inauguration speech - didn't pay much attention to it as politics bores me - how about :

A New Beginning.

Great work as always Jen.

#87028 - Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:38:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Bearing in mind a new President who has probably talked about peace in his inauguration speech - didn't pay much attention to it as politics bores me - how about :

A New Beginning.

Great work as always Jen.
Thanks Snash.......there could end up being a painting relating to the hope of a new beginning that Barack Obama symbolizes so may use that suggestion there.
This one needs 'Peace' in the title but undecided between 'Call for Peace', 'Give me Peace' or even 'Peace Invocation'

#87029 - Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:07:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

This one needs 'Peace' in the title but undecided between 'Call for Peace', 'Give me Peace' or even 'Peace Invocation'
I don't know what invocation means but that sounds a good one to me. smile

#87030 - Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:09:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
I don't know what invocation means but that sounds a good one to me. smile [/b]
In this context ....appeal, entreaty, call for etc etc. Thanks Snash for your input.

I'm going with 'Invocation for Peace' as the final title by the way.

#87031 - Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:44:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad to be of help. laugh Invocation does sound better than appeal or call for. wink

#87032 - Thu, 29 Jan 2009 00:38:00 Re: pure art & soul
leggylady Offline

hiya hunny,
I'm sorry I haven't posted on here before now. I love this last painting, really really like it A LOT! Not sure about the title though hun..... shouldn't it be "invocation OF peace" not "for" it? You're going to hate me, but I prefered "call for". I think Invocation sounds a bit pretentious (but you know me). I personally would have stuck with "call for" or something like "cry for". Anyway, nice piece of work hun!
I'm away to go and post on your other thread wink

#87033 - Thu, 29 Jan 2009 00:46:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks Helen.....sounds like I should have stuck with my original instinct which was simply 'Call for Peace' lol......well not too late to change it as my final list hasn't been submitted. Sometimes simplest option is the best! Yeah I was quite pleased with this one.....and the previous 'Imagine the power of the Song' one too. Its rare for me not to want to keep tinkering with them lol as I'm having to do with this post.......black keyboard with white letters which have worn away so keep hitting wrong keys and having to edit!!

#87034 - Wed, 04 Feb 2009 03:24:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Just replaced the 'Call For Peace' image with a better 'presented' one and also 'We Are One' at the beginning of the thread with finished painting if anyone is interested in taking a look.

#87035 - Mon, 02 Mar 2009 06:13:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Some new ones...

SYNERGY 2009

WORDS

#87036 - Mon, 02 Mar 2009 07:27:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Well done again, eh Jen!
How long it it take you to complete 'Words'? I remember you saying the text was hand written and I can imagine it was a long and drawn out experience. But patience is a virtue as someone once said. A quality which comes in very, very useful in the artistic world, as you'll know yourself. The peices look great in the blue mounts too. Good stuff.

Mr Piggy Papparazzi (or should that be papa-ashley)
and no curry pun intended. shocked wink

#87037 - Mon, 02 Mar 2009 09:28:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks Mr Paparashley wink

Yes ure right.....the words on Words were painted with a brush and would have tried the patience of a saint.....which I'm not! Hard to say how long....over two weeks or more but was working on another one at same time.Only did finishing touches this week. My daughter loves it....says its pop art...

#87038 - Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:40:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stunning stuff as always Jen. Do love that deep blue you used on "Good Vibrations".

#87039 - Mon, 16 Mar 2009 07:31:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

This is my first attempt at acrylics on canvas ...hope it works but getting a digital image that captures its 'life' and the vibrancy of the colours has proved to be impossible. This image is as good as it gets seemingly! I've spent hours photographing and tinkering with settings and even in natural good light the image really doesn't do it justice...kind of dulls down what is actually quite an 'alive' painting so if anyone else has photographed artwork and can offer advice it would be appreciated...bear in mind I only have access to a Practica DCZ7.1. I thought photographing watercolours was bad enough but....

FOCUS ON AFRICA

#87040 - Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:25:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Jen,
There's some 'Pointers' on the internet for this type of photography. I haven't photographed paintings before so I'll leave it to those in the know. Give these a try. I hope the links will help you. Cheers. smile

A Short Tutorial On Photographing Paintings

Q & A - Photographing Artwork

Short Guide To Photographing Paintings

#87041 - Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:48:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks very much Ash. Some useful tips there. It seems I've been on the right track with photographing work outside on a sunny day but in the shade...always has the best results. Without the right equipment I'm never going to get a good result indoors anyway. But the ISO setting I used with this one was too high so I'm going to give it another go.

#87042 - Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:16:00 Re: pure art & soul
Llais Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Llandybie, S W Wales
I'm going to Paris in 2 weeks with my daughter - do you think those nice people at the Louvre will let us take the Mona Lisa outside to get a good shot? wink

#87043 - Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:59:00 Re: pure art & soul
Havocman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Llaeth:
I'm going to Paris in 2 weeks with my daughter - do you think those nice people at the Louvre will let us take the Mona Lisa outside to get a good shot? wink
You'll get a good shot alright. wink

#87044 - Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:34:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Aye, strite atween the eyes wink

#87045 - Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:10:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Deleted...too much info!

#87046 - Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:43:00 Re: pure art & soul
H Offline

Loc: In a Darkroom somewhere in the...
Great Stuff Jen!

Love em

H smile

#87047 - Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:19:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks very much H!

#87048 - Fri, 03 Apr 2009 06:37:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

#87049 - Tue, 26 May 2009 01:42:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

I've revamped my website with more images uploaded and more galleries...here are the links if anyone is interested...

Eden Gallery

Voice Gallery

Two Worlds Gallery

Myrddin Perspective (archive of earlier artwork)

#87050 - Sat, 30 May 2009 11:24:00 Re: pure art & soul
H Offline

Jen,
Just had look at your updated site (been away this week, apologies)
Well done on your new artwork, it looks great. Thanks for the credit, I'm glad you were able to use one of the images. You seem to be very prolific at the moment, long may it continue. Hope the sales are going well.

All the best

H

#87051 - Sat, 30 May 2009 20:36:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks H....not nearly prolific enough and wrecked more than one! But several on the go so will upload more soon. I'm having to catch up on work as I got a bit distracted in April - wonder why!? wink

Edited...

#87052 - Sat, 30 May 2009 23:24:00 Re: pure art & soul
H Offline

What happened in April?

Answers on an e-mail to thickhead@thickhead.com

wink

#87053 - Wed, 17 Jun 2009 21:14:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

I've finally psyched myself up to brave posting a few ambient/mood/dreamstate paintings...all have flowed from Ultravox/Midge music since April. Please feel free to comment on whether they work on some level or not as the case may be.... my art seems to be going in various different directions at the moment( I blame Ultravox!)so I could do with honest feedback to help me better judge what works and what doesn't. The originals are better than the scans btw...

'ALL STOOD STILL'

STRANGER WITHIN

'Feeling spirits.........'

'DREAM ON'

Edited to remove some of the images but there are more over in the Eden Gallery if anyone is interested ...

Eden Gallery

Thanks to photographers whose pics helped...H,H & M.....sounds like a retail chain lol!

#87054 - Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:15:00 Re: pure art & soul
Lynne Offline

Jen, as usual your work is superb. Just lovely.

#87055 - Thu, 18 Jun 2009 02:20:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thank you Lynne...that's quite a compliment coming from someone with your talents!

#87056 - Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:02:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

By eck Jenny, you've been a busy bee haven't you.
Well it's all good stuff once again. Well done wink cool cool

#87057 - Sun, 21 Jun 2009 21:27:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks Ash. I don't want to bore folk by posting too many but here are a couple of experimental ones ... feel free to critique!

This next one was based on the need for harmony in the world but it seems apt to post it on here given the lack of 'harmony' on certain threads on EV and elsewhere in past weeks... wink Inspired by Midge and his music. Thanks to Rodney for use of his pic!

Harmony

An abstract experiment to 'Rage in Eden' album ...it was wierd to paint...kind of pulls you into it if you have to look at it as long as I did...actually drifted off somewhere whilst painting the spiral lol. Technically the spiral isn't perfect but freehand I'd never achieve that anyway.

Deep Within

And if you want to see the spiel about them here's the link...

Astradyne Gallery

#87058 - Mon, 22 Jun 2009 03:15:00 Re: pure art & soul
H Offline

Excellent work Jen, lovely stuff.

Keep it coming

H laugh

#87059 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:06:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

H, thank you!

My daughter thinks this next one should be posted...I started it last year but finally went back and finished it last night...painting a face other than Midge's was not easy let alone this particular visage! Not a face I'd want to look at for very long lol! wink Much prefer Midge's! Head/face shape and eyes are right but whether anyone else will know 'who' is debatable. It's not about the face though which is just as well as a portrait painter I will never be lol! wink It's about the powerful energy, the creativity energy that comes from certain music.

'The Astradyne Effect'

I'm torn on title....wavering between 'The Midge Effect' or 'The Astradyne Effect'.....both equally appropriate...any thoughts anyone?

#87060 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:28:00 Re: pure art & soul
newvox Offline

Loc: ''in a grey suit''
Quote:
Well it's all good stuff once again. Well done wink cool cool
Quote:
This next one was based on the need for harmony in the world but it seems apt to post it on here....... wink

[b]Harmony
[/b]
I know exactly what you both mean. wink All great works as ususal Jen, this one in particular is my favorite of recent times. smile

#87061 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:35:00 Re: pure art & soul
newvox Offline

Quote:
...painting a face other than Midge's was not easy let alone this particular visage!........... Head/face shape and eyes are right but whether anyone else will know 'who' is debatable.
Im guessing Sinead O'Conner. If so, its a good likeness. smile

#87062 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 02:27:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Nope not Sinead O'Connor though I think I can safely say the person whose photo I worked from would consider that the greatest of compliments! wink

#87063 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 02:33:00 Re: pure art & soul
Annis Offline

Loc: Leeds
Great work Amethyst. smile I'd go with 'The Astradyne Effect'. smile

#87064 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 02:34:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Quote:
[b]Well it's all good stuff once again. Well done wink cool cool
Quote:
This next one was based on the need for harmony in the world but it seems apt to post it on here....... wink

[b]Harmony
[/b]
I know exactly what you both mean. wink All great works as ususal Jen, this one in particular is my favorite of recent times. smile [/b]
Thank you!

#87065 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 02:38:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Annis:
Great work Amethyst. smile I'd go with 'The Astradyne Effect'. smile
Thanks Annis....that's what my daughter thought too so I'll stick with that one....it has been played rather a lot since the tour...and has a better ring to it!

#87066 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:33:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
H, thank you!

My daughter thinks this next one should be posted...I started it last year but finally went back and finished it last night...painting a face other than Midge's was not easy let alone this particular visage! Not a face I'd want to look at for very long lol! wink Much prefer Midge's! Head/face shape and eyes are right but whether anyone else will know 'who' is debatable. It's not about the face though which is just as well as a portrait painter I will never be lol! wink It's about the powerful energy, the creativity energy that comes from certain music.

[b]'The Astradyne Effect'

I'm torn on title....wavering between 'The Midge Effect' or 'The Astradyne Effect'.....both equally appropriate...any thoughts anyone? [/b]
I see Sinead O'Connor in there.

#87067 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:34:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b] H, thank you!

[b]'The Astradyne Effect'

I'm torn on title....wavering between 'The Midge Effect' or 'The Astradyne Effect'.....both equally appropriate...any thoughts anyone? [/b]
I see Sinead O'Connor in there. [/b]
When I saw this picture I added my comment there & then without looking further down the thread until afterwards.

#87068 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:39:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

An abstract experiment to 'Rage in Eden' album ...it was wierd to paint...kind of pulls you into it if you have to look at it as long as
[b]Deep Within

And if you want to see the spiel about them here's the link...

Astradyne Gallery [/b]
For me, the Deep Within has the Astradyne Effect. When you look at the centre, that is the start of the synths after the tick, tick etc, then you look at the spiral building outwards as the track builds up to it's peak,You then look at the spiral going back inwards again as the track comes to an end.

Does this make sense? They are all great as usual Jen. smile

#87069 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:56:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Yes, Snash it makes sense and I see where you are coming from and I was playing Ultravox so....maybe it should be called 'deep within the astradyne effect' instead!? Or 'deep within the Eden effect'...as there is already an Astradyne inspired one being worked on. It's always really interesting to see what other folk get from them (if anything lol)...that's more important than what I saw when I painted them.

As for the face...hmmm it's of a fairly 'invisible' person who mostly keeps a low profile lol but would be very flattered by the Sinead connection just as she was when it was made a few years back by folk! It must be the head/face shape. She's a bit more knackered looking now than when the photo worked from was taken (c2001/2002?)though some who know this person recognized who it was instantly...the clues are in my original post.

#87070 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:47:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
As for the face... It must be the head/face shape.
For me it was more the eyes/eyebrows that drew me to Sinead.

#87071 - Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:58:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b] As for the face... It must be the head/face shape.
For me it was more the eyes/eyebrows that drew me to Sinead. [/b]
Interesting lol! smile

#87072 - Thu, 25 Jun 2009 02:08:00 Re: pure art & soul
leggylady Offline

It's a self portrait! (except you're not bald!)
I think you look more like Paula Wilcox than Sinead Oconnor (in real live that is!)

Loving all the recent work Jen, particularly "All stood still" , "feeling spirits" and "dream on". I think this is some of the most commercial work you've produced so far. That's meant as a compliment by the way.... the spiritual nature if your work does sometimes make it an aquired taste (not a bad thing) but some of these most recent works would appeal to the broadest spectrum of people I think. wink laugh

#87073 - Thu, 25 Jun 2009 03:14:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
It's a self portrait! (except you're not bald!)
I think you look more like Paula Wilcox than Sinead Oconnor (in real live that is!)

Loving all the recent work Jen, particularly "All stood still" , "feeling spirits" and "dream on". I think this is some of the most commercial work you've produced so far. That's meant as a compliment by the way.... the spiritual nature if your work does sometimes make it an aquired taste (not a bad thing) but some of these most recent works would appeal to the broadest spectrum of people I think. wink laugh
Thank you Helen....and yes you're right though it's not really about being a self portrait as such. I worked from an enlarged pic taken earlier this decade when I'd shaved my head and managed a fairly reasonable likeness though the mouth could be better. There were Sinead comments back then....greatest of compliments (and oh I wish!)....it was all downhill from then on to you coming up with PW lol! :rolleyes: Personally I don't think I resemble PW or anyone much! Just me...an alien... wink

Thank you for the comments on the paintings...very much appreciated! I know what you meant and I did take it as a compliment...

PS Edited as too wordy!

#87074 - Wed, 01 Jul 2009 01:24:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

#87075 - Wed, 01 Jul 2009 06:27:00 Re: pure art & soul
newvox Offline

Quote:
There were Sinead comments back then....greatest of compliments....
....and if i remember rightly, Si likes likes Sinead. smile

#87076 - Sun, 12 Jul 2009 06:04:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Image removed as painting sold but can still be seen here if anyone interested...

Earth Song

#87077 - Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:39:00 Re: pure art & soul
Glenn Offline

Loc: Canada
The "Harmony" picture is beautiful. It really draws you in.............

#87078 - Sun, 02 Aug 2009 02:11:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
The "Harmony" picture is beautiful. It really draws you in.............
Thank you!

#87079 - Sun, 09 Aug 2009 04:52:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

In the words of the song 'this life prepares the strangest things'....not just one solo 'gig' coming up but several....unbelievable! A last minute offer for a solo exhibition in August...I'm trying not to panic with only a week to get it all organized! Elsewhere one has been booked for most of October. Another in April. And a couple of others in the offing...

Reality is none of it would be happening if it wasn't for the Midge effect on my 'art and soul'... Ultravox music has had quite an effect on my art too (even more so this year) so thank you to Midge, Chris, Billy & Warren.

#87080 - Sun, 09 Aug 2009 05:53:00 Re: pure art & soul
Glenn Offline

Congratulations - that sounds great!

#87081 - Sun, 09 Aug 2009 23:59:00 Re: pure art & soul
H Offline

Brilliant Jen,

Tell me more......

#87082 - Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:12:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks guys! H, you have mail...

#87083 - Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:00:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

If any of you are in this area please go and have a look at the 'pure art and soul' exhibition... a mix of c 20+ paintings inspired by Midge and his music, some Ultravox inspired ones plus a few photographic prints.

#87084 - Thu, 20 Aug 2009 06:06:00 Re: pure art & soul
Lynne Offline

fantastic Jen, wish I could be there. Best of luck

#87085 - Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:09:00 Re: pure art & soul
Havocman Offline

Belated good luck with that Jen. laugh

#87086 - Fri, 21 Aug 2009 02:58:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Proud ov ya Jen. Well done woohoo mexican

#87087 - Fri, 21 Aug 2009 04:05:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Aww thanks Lynne, Pete and Ash...it means a lot to me!

#87088 - Sun, 27 Sep 2009 05:54:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Coming soon...

This one is a bigger venue with much better light and will host a mix of c 40 paintings and photographic prints. If anyone is in the area please go have a look in the upstairs 'gallery'.

And at the risk of sounding boringly repetitive... a huge thank you to the lovely Mr Ure! Also, many thanks to the mighty Ultravox and the photographers whose photos have helped!

Jeez how many times have I got to edit before I get the words right...one of those days!

#87089 - Mon, 28 Sep 2009 00:33:00 Re: pure art & soul
H Offline

Great stuff Jen! laugh

#87090 - Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:54:00 Re: pure art & soul
man of two worlds. Offline

Loc: chester
What are the viewing times of the exibation?

#87091 - Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:38:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by man of two worlds.:
What are the viewing times of the exibation?
Oops...need to get that info on the flyers too... thanks for the nudge!

Alsager Library opening hours...
Mon & Thurs 9.00 - 5.00
Tues & Fri 9.00 - 7.00
Saturday 9.30 - 1.00
Closed Wednesdays

Though there are times on weekdays when access to the exhibition space may be restricted because of other activities in the area...as soon as I have more info on that I'll update this post.

#87092 - Thu, 01 Oct 2009 01:39:00 Re: pure art & soul

Thank you, hoping to get there on a saturday.

#87093 - Thu, 01 Oct 2009 03:51:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by man of two worlds.:
Thank you, hoping to get there on a saturday.
Thank you! smile

#87094 - Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:06:00 Re: pure art & soul

Jen,
Thank you, i called in with my girlfriend on saturday to view your excellent paintings. Had a bonus when we got there an array of stunning photographs too. Are you going to bring them to the wirral sometime soon?
Kindest Regards,
Scott

#87095 - Tue, 13 Oct 2009 06:17:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks very much Scott...you're too kind! But it's appreciated! wink smile

I'd love to do one in Chester next year if it's feasible. There are a couple of others in Cheshire this year.

#87096 - Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:10:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

#87097 - Fri, 23 Oct 2009 02:16:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

'Feel the Presence......'

Inspired by a certain song...and a touch of the northern lights to enhance an otherworldly ambience, a sense of spirits passing...

#87098 - Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:52:00 Re: pure art & soul
Glenn Offline

Wow, that is hypnotic and beautiful.

#87099 - Sat, 24 Oct 2009 00:01:00 Re: pure art & soul
H Offline

Lovely Jen, that's gorgeous!

H

#87100 - Sat, 24 Oct 2009 06:46:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks very much to two lovely guys, Glenn & H!

#87101 - Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:19:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

As I'm in the throes of a housemove I'd better post this now before the PC gets packed and I lose internet access for a while...

Forthcoming exhibitions in case anyone from the locale is interested in having a look...

Nantwich Library, Nantwich, Cheshire
2nd November to 27th November 2009

Crewe Library, Crewe, Cheshire
1st December to 31st December 2009

These are both on a smaller scale than the Alsager one but it's all good exposure so I'm not complaining! wink

#87102 - Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:01:00 Re: pure art & soul
H Offline

Jen, you're too kind.

Good Luck with the exhibitions and the house move.

All the best

H

#87103 - Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:09:00 Re: pure art & soul
Desolate Angel Offline

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
Hi Jen
That Feel the Presence is amazing. I'm not too far from Nantwich so I might pop along to see the exhib - I'll look forward to it!
Thanks for posting the details
J

#87104 - Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:42:00 Re: pure art & soul
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can only add to what's been said. I Feel The Presence is fantastic. smile

#87105 - Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:40:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks guys...

#87106 - Sun, 13 Dec 2009 01:38:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

#87107 - Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:41:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

#87108 - Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:02:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

I've finally set up an art blog so if anyone is interested in seeing the new work please take a wee look... and it now includes a bit of a plug for the Vienna campaign.

All comments, suggestions, criticisms welcome!

www.pureartandsoul.blogspot.com

#87109 - Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:45:00 Re: pure art & soul
CONNY'S PIG Offline

It's always nice to get an artists angle on their work and how it evolved. A written insight can often add an extra dimension to the work, giving it that extra slice of appeal.

Well done Jen. smile

#87110 - Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:51:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks Ash...

And for others here's the direct link to the Vienna blog
http://pureartandsoul.blogspot.com/2010/01/vienna-for-no-1-campaign.html

#87111 - Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:53:00 Re: pure art & soul
Desolate Angel Offline

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
Just read the Vienna blog - cool! Wont let me comment though! Great words - didnt realise you painted to that music - brilliant. I used to paint while listening to music - it always helped. smile

#87112 - Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:38:00 Re: pure art & soul
Lynne Offline

you're so talented Jen I just love your work

#87113 - Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:23:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks guys!

I've decided not to put any more work on here.Too many other places to update now! So if anyone ventures onto this thread and is interested some of the more recent Midge/Ultravox inspired work can be found here ...

http://www.pureartandsoul.blogspot.com/

#87114 - Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:52:00 Re: pure art & soul
StrangerWithin Offline

Time to close this thread methinks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >