Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#86905 - Wed, 04 Jun 2008 05:22:00 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: in exile

'Give us this day'

This is a painting completed today........image has been slightly cropped as wasn't sure it looked right in its original form. And this is it uncropped:

Since the jury is out at this end over which version works best it would be useful to get other opinions. I'm also in two minds as to whether to scrap this one despite the time spent on it so..........I'll take silence as a sign that it should be consigned to oblivion! smile

Jen

#86906 - Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:03:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
leggylady Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
Jen,
Don't take the lack of response to heart. Sometimes people just don't know what to say. Some don't have anything to say, maybe art isn't their thing and they don't look at this thread! Other's just might not have an opinion either way.... I wouldn't take it as a personal insult, I don't think folk are being deliberatly ignorant in not responding to you. chin up, ok?!

#86907 - Thu, 05 Jun 2008 23:01:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leggylady:
Jen,
.... I wouldn't take it as a personal insult........
I don't, honest!!!

But I could do with feedback to gauge whether this particular painting works better cropped or not or whether it works at all.....before I do anything further with it....whether that be putting it to a wider audience or consigning it to the bin! I am unsure with this one......it was worth a shot anyway.

My main reason for posting artwork here and any site is in hope of getting constructive feedback so I can gauge what works and what doesn't. I said on a previous thread I can take critical comment on my paintings without throwing a tantrum (or plunging into the pits of despair!).

I know my stuff does not appeal to everyone and as there are only a few forums that I look at on here can totally understand that a good few folk wouldn't even see this thread especially if they aren't into art!

#86908 - Thu, 05 Jun 2008 23:23:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
Havocman Offline

Loc: Moving westwards as soon as po...
Must have missed this - sorry Jen! smile

In my opinion (for what it's worth) I think it is better in the cropped version as it looks more balanced. I found that with the eyes there were (no pun intended) two focal points. Either way, it certainly shouldn't be scrapped.

#86909 - Thu, 05 Jun 2008 23:52:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
SlowMo' Offline

Loc: West Sussex
Agree with Havoc - the eyes lead you away from the rest of the work, without them I find it easier to take a view on the whole piece..

very vivid colours, you have a bit of a theme running here, certainly seems so when looking at your avatar too!

Is it a commission or a labour of love?

#86910 - Fri, 06 Jun 2008 00:06:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Havocman:
Must have missed this - sorry Jen! smile

In my opinion (for what it's worth) I think it is better in the cropped version as it looks more balanced. I found that with the eyes there were (no pun intended) two focal points. Either way, it certainly shouldn't be scrapped.
Thanks Pete....just what I was looking for! Seriously its the eyes that made me so unsure, just didn't work the way I'd intended........ needed an objective view and you're right the eyes gave it two focal points ...its been bugging me ever since I finished it and why I was thinking of scrapping it....also wasn't sure if it was more than the eyes though. Spent so long painting this one it was hard to stand back and be totally objective as to how it worked!

Two other folk had seen the images, one who loved it but only saw it on a camera phone and the other found the eyes disturbing....so I needed another perspective!

So I'll be cropping it rather than ditching it before putting it out there.
Thanks.....much appreciated!

Jen

#86911 - Fri, 06 Jun 2008 00:09:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowMo':
Agree with Havoc - the eyes lead you away from the rest of the work, without them I find it easier to take a view on the whole piece..

very vivid colours, you have a bit of a theme running here, certainly seems so when looking at your avatar too!

Is it a commission or a labour of love?
Thanks for responding......Hmm, what can I say ....yes I tend to use vivid colours.....my way of infusing positive energy and hope into my paintings... After years of painters block following my partner's death, Midge and his music got me painting again.....most of the stuff I paint these days is inspired by Midge's music and/or dreams.

This particular one came from a dream and my perspective.....couldn't call it a labour of love exactly as I kept putting off painting it ......

On the whole most paintings are a labour of love though and 'such a chore' as I can only paint to Midge & Ultravox music! wink smile ....also a necessity as I have to produce paintings for sale.

Thanks again for your feedback....appreciated!

Jen

#86912 - Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:46:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
SlowMo' Offline

Loc: West Sussex
I know how you feel to an extent Jen- in another century I spent 7 years working for a company as one of the first generation of computer graphic artists.. producing concept boards, pack designs, posters etc for a very creative product sector..

After 7 years the simple fact of having to produce on demand, often around very short lead times really took it's toll.. and I can honestly say that I haven't picked up pencil, charcoal, brush etc since that day.. Used to really enjoy all of that stuff, but I honestly feel like my talent, ability, call it what you will - died as a result of that job! frown

#86913 - Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:07:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Hi Steve......well I can understand that but hopefully at some point you'll find the urge to use that creativity again..... as a labour of love not necessity. My daughter decided against studying Art at college because the enjoyment in creating artwork would go if she had to work to deadlines. For me its different because it is my second (and chosen) profession.....not as lucrative but infinitely more satisfying!

Painting is my soul expression and something I love doing ........its rare that I find it a chore to paint even when there are deadlines....it often helps me to know there is an exhibition coming up....gives me impetus I think. 'Give us this day' was an exception....it was a struggle! I've got a couple of commissioned pieces to do now which could be hard but I've been given a fairly free hand within certain criteria so hopefully Midge/Ultravox music will help me with it!

Jen

#86914 - Fri, 06 Jun 2008 20:08:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
leggylady Offline

Oh you've been commissioned hun! excellent! you didn't say (been keeping it quiet? wink ) Well done you laugh

I understand what both of you are saying. I wanted to do something to bring in extra income whilst still being home full time with the children. I personally feel, that there isn't much point in having kids if you don't put the time in with them in the early years. I know people who have waited until they were in their 40s to have children, puting career first and then the child spending all day in full time childcare, never really seeing his parents. It's a struggle on one salary, so of course there's the usual looking at working part time etc.
When money was tight I had produced canvases as gifts for people and was told I should make some money out of it..... It was the obvious solution, my previous job had involved drawings, plans and CAD but of course that's different to painting form and movement, doing something creative.
Wallace Artworks is now a bonefide business, and has been since last April/May. The princes youth business trust were helpful to a certain extent but in Edinburgh in particular, I'm just small fry in a very very very large pond. I had promised myself that I wouldn't do wedding photography, I would do everything EXCEPT weddings..... guess what most of my enquires have been!??? LOL
It's sod's law really....... anyway, back to topic, sorry about that.........

#86915 - Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:30:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Oh you've been commissioned hun! excellent! you didn't say (been keeping it quiet? wink )

..... I personally feel, that there isn't much point in having kids if you don't put the time in with them in the early years..........

...... I had promised myself that I wouldn't do wedding photography, I would do everything EXCEPT weddings..... guess what most of my enquires have been!??? LOL
I agree totally with what you say.......those early years are so important in a child's development....it should be made easier for a parent to be at home with them......'childcare' shouldn't have to be the norm.

I have been so adamant that I couldn't and wouldn't do commissions LOL I only very recently decided to do it so yes kept it quiet! One has to have an Egyptian flavour with pyramids etc and the other I've got to go with the music and see what I come up with personal to the person commissioning it....the main criteria was that they should be full of colour and energy! And have soul!

Its certainly made me rethink and I will be considering future commissions on their merits.......can't afford to be too 'precious'! As you said Helen sods law its wedding photography you are getting enquiries for.......at the end of the day reality is we sometimes have to compromise, broaden our scope for commercial reasons.

Jen

#86916 - Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:00:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
I had promised myself that I wouldn't do wedding photography, I would do everything EXCEPT weddings..... guess what most of my enquires have been!??? LOL
It's sod's law really....... anyway, back to topic, sorry about that.........
I can understand why, but seriously I wouldn't discount anything at this point. Wedding photography could become your bread and butter, a growing reputation that gives you steady income and the ability to develop your chosen sidelines at your own pace.

#86917 - Sat, 07 Jun 2008 03:27:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
leggylady Offline

yeah, I'm taking them on! (but nothing until 2009, folk book early! lol) Having searched for a wedding photographer myself, I couldn't believe what they're charging! My aim is to try to cut through the bull and undercut all the opportunists charging exhorbitant rates!

#86918 - Thu, 12 Jun 2008 03:21:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Sorry to go back to this topic but if anyone wants to know more about what inspired this 'wierd and wonderful' painting then have a look on my new website ....decided to add a bit of info about some of them! You'll find it in the 'VOICE' Gallery.....wonder where that idea came from lol! And thanks guys for your input....looks much better without those eyes....

Here's the link to the website

pureartandsoul.com

#86919 - Fri, 13 Jun 2008 04:12:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Bit of a levelling experience today.....had to burn about 75% at least of the paintings I still had from 1989 to 2003.....and all because atmospheric conditions when we lived on the island had turned the paint mouldy....not the watercolours but I'd used gouache as well.....never again! I'd lost a few before but had no idea how many others had been affected until today.
Bit depressing as it was so many paintings and a fair few of ones I'd painted for my late partner and our daughter were wrecked too. C'est la vie....in the scheme of things its only a minor irritation....and it could have been worse at least a few have survived!

Jen

#86920 - Fri, 13 Jun 2008 05:37:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Ouch, that must have been a pretty grim and emotional time. Could you at least get pictures of them?

#86921 - Fri, 13 Jun 2008 05:51:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Si_W:
Ouch, that must have been a pretty grim and emotional time. Could you at least get pictures of them?
Yes, I did with a few where the mould wasn't quite so obvious......

#86922 - Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:07:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
Havocman Offline

Loc: Moving westwards as soon as po...
Bad luck, Jen, especially given the meaning that the pictures must have had to you. frown

#86923 - Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:50:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
Shirl Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: St.Helens
Hi Jen. Congratulations on the commission. So sad to hear that you lost so much of your work though.. I love your artwork, and the "Give Us This Day" is no exception. smile

#86924 - Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:09:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shirl:
......So sad to hear that you lost so much of your work though.. I love your artwork, and the "Give Us This Day" is no exception. smile
Hi Shirl,
Hazards of living in a damp place for so long unfortunately.....and thanks, glad you liked it ....few more on the new site.....including one of the commissions.

Pete...yes bit of a leveller and learning experience too about storage and materials etc but I'm trying to see the positive side....all part of moving forward from the past I feel.

Jen

#86925 - Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:38:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
H Offline

Loc: In a Darkroom somewhere in the...
Jen,

Sorry that you have suffered such a loss. It must be tough to have to destroy that which you have put heart and soul in to create.

I hope that you can overcome it and create more of your art in the future.

All the best

H

#86926 - Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:51:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
Sleepwalker Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Jan,

Personally I think yer paintings are fab wink

#86927 - Sat, 19 Jul 2008 05:19:00 Re: 'Give us this day'
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks Don.... thanks H and yes plenty of new work in the offing.... ideas are flowing faster than I can conceivably translate into paintings....Mr Ure's fault that...and I'm not complaining! wink
Jenny

Images removed but final painting can be seen on my website