Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#86164 - Tue, 14 Dec 2010 04:06:00 Re: H's Pics
H Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: In a Darkroom somewhere in the...
Quote:
Originally posted by Duncan:
oi! what are you taking pics of my mother-in-law for lmaoHow the f61# are you Ken,lovely snaps as always,so tell me,what do you think of Dslr's and whacha buy & apart from being able to tell how good a shot you've just taken,how do they compare in your eyes?
Cheers Duncan,

I bet you are popular at home....

I picked up a second hand Samsung GX10 with two zooms. Only 10 megapixel, with Pentax mount lenses but a good enough camera to get started with. We shall see how long it takes me to push it to its limit when I get it into a gig.

It's a very steep learning curve, and I've only dipped my toe in so far...there are way too many program modes for my lo-fi analogue mind to comprehend so far. I've figured out that there is a Bulb mode, and have worked out manual and aperture priority (which are what I have on my film cameras)...even so first time out I messed up the ISO and shot the Derbyshire pics at 1600 ISO, and through the menu system couldn't work out how to get a 100 ISO...the grain/noise works OK though...a happy accident methinks. More by luck than judgement!!!

The instant playback is most gratifying, as is the multi shot mode, which when I eventually manage to get to use it at a gig will be useful.

The jury's out and will be for a long time. Most of my stuff is landscape and architecture and the latest fastest DSLR is of little benefit in terms of capturing an image. For me it will compliment rather than replace film based image making

I have downloaded a trial version of Photoshop elements, but that's another learning curve I'm not sure I want to get into (apart from basic manipulation cleaning up etc) as it represents a significanat amount of investment of time behind a PC (which I already do for a day job!) which takes me away from taking pictures. I won't dismiss it as I see some beautiful work using this stuff, but I can't commit to that yet.

Having said that, it's a nice solid sturdy camera with decent weatherproofing and will be good in the field.

I'll keep you posted

All the best

laugh

#86165 - Fri, 07 Jan 2011 01:28:00 Re: H's Pics
Mr Normall Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Finland
Impressive stuff, H. Very impressive. All of them.

#86166 - Fri, 07 Jan 2011 08:58:00 Re: H's Pics
westham pete Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: dagenham / essex
hiya H , fantastic photos mate , especially Switzerland , i do think if i went there on holiday i would never want to come back to the u.k.

Thanks for posting H / nice one mate . cool

#86167 - Sat, 08 Jan 2011 04:03:00 Re: H's Pics
H Offline

Loc: In a Darkroom somewhere in the...
Thanks Tapio and Pete!

All the best

Ken laugh

#86168 - Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:39:00 Re: H's Pics
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Loc: Sunderland