Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#853 - Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:37:00 Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
Luca Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Italy
Simon Sellars sent me this link to an interview with JF for Ballardian.com:
A whirlpool with seductive furniture

Enjoy!

Luca

#854 - Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:04:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
feline1 Offline
Pass level: Manager

excellent stuff.

#855 - Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:18:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
feline1 Offline

Although a typo amused me in one of them -
there's an extract from "The Drowned World" which mentions "focus and cephalops"

It should of course be "fucus" (a type of seaweed)

Lord protect us from vocabulary-challenged nincompoops with spell-checkers :+)

#856 - Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:33:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
METAL BEAT Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Watford
Nice one Luca

#857 - Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:39:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
Alex S Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
An excellent interview.

I've never read any Ballard, but I'm certainly inspired to now...

#858 - Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:56:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
birdsong Offline

Loc: southampton
John's interviews just get better and better.

And more frequent it seems - he's been quite prolific lately!

Thanks for this Luca, one of the best!

#859 - Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:42:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
feline1 Offline

I have to confess that I read Ballard and looked at Max Ernst paintings almost solely on the basis of John's recommendations on the liner notes to that old "Assembly" CD compilation.

Apart from the chuckles when you realise where John pinched all his lyrics from ;-)
I am delighted to have discovered both.

JG Ballard is an astounding writer, truly the sort of stuff that can shake your whole attitudes to the world around you. (Plus frequently a cracking good yarn and a wickedly dark sense of humour)

#860 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:08:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
Craig Offline

Loc: Peterborough
Alex, you must get into Ballard! Much like Pussycat1, I too got into his books through John's inspiration (I think, though on the Feline's mention of 'A Buring Car' in the novel 'Concrete Island'). For the last three summers I get 'The Complete Short Stories' out of the library and try to finish it! This summer my other half actually tracked down a second hand copy, so I can read it at my pace! It is currently out of print, but is being re-released in two volumes this September. The beautifully written landscapes Ballard creates take you away on similar journeys to John's music. The perfect companions, although I must admit to prefering a background of The Durutti Column since A Church Puddle sent me some CDs last year.
Cheers

#861 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:55:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
feline1 Offline

yeah and "Cathedral Oceans" is SUCH a better cover version of Ballard's "The Drowned World" than Madonna's one...

#862 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 02:41:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
METAL BEAT Offline

Excuse my total lack of knowledge on this one but not being much of a reader of novels can someone let me know what sort of novels JG Ballard wrote?
Regards
Peter

#863 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:19:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
feline1 Offline

filfthy doirty ones where people have sex with cars and bits of Marilyn Munroe smile

Seriously though,
his "output" could be roughly carved up into things like:

- loads of short stories (quite a few of 1950s/60s ones were a bit "sci-fi", but always with the emphasis on psychopathology and people rather the the sci- per se). Many of these are completely bonkers and a damn good little read.

- some 1960s "disaster novels" which were these surreal scenarios of people in post-apocalyptic words wracked by hurricane ("The Wind from Nowhere"), global warming ("The Drowned World"), drought (er, "The Drought") and, erm, crystalysing time (you know, like when time, er, crystalizes) ("The Crystal World"). These are superbly evocative immersive books.

then as things reached the 70s he went COMPLETELY mental with novels like "The Atrocity Exhibition" (with superb tour-de-force chapters like "WHY I WANT TO **** RONALD REAGAN", which was prosecuted for obsenity in the UK), "Crash" (warm leatherette and handbrakes penetrates your thigh, a tear of petrol is in your eye - it happens...), "High Rise" (damn lifts never work), "Concrete Island" - all very modernist, dystopian, thrilling, BONKERS, phsycopathologising mentalist stuff.

In the 80s onwards he did some more conventional stuff about WWII Japan prisoner camps ("Empire of the Sun") and wierd "whodunnits" like "Cocaine Nights" and "Millenium people"

He is a genius!!

#864 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:37:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
METAL BEAT Offline

Thanks Feline 1.
Next time I'm down the library I'll have a look for a JG Ballard novel
Peter smile

#865 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:17:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
birdsong Offline

Loc: southampton
Hi Peter
You absolutely MUST read some Ballard.

Short stories like "The Drowned Giant", "Time Flowers" and "The Sound Sweep" especially will give you a whole new perspective on John's work.
Tiny Colour Movies is like a sound track to The Atrocity Exhibition.

Try The Terminal Beach too - some of the stories in there are a bit easier to grasp if you're new to his stuff.

Ballardesque scenes are something like those described here. But darker, more complex, crazier. And at times very very funny
http://www.metamatic.com/zQuietmandocs/thegreysuit.html

Have fun...

#866 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:30:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
feline1 Offline

I love that one where everyone is going narcoleptic and the world is just full of hospital wards where everyone is asleep and the guy in the story is down to his last few hours of wakefulness per day.

"The Watchtowers" is bloody creepy (there's all towers in the sky with inscrutable people watching everyone below)

One of my fave novels is "The Day of Creation", absolutely bonkers, someone crashes a plane in Staines and ends up in a surrealist mentalizing sexathon with wings or sthg. It's a bit like that film "Jacob's Ladder", only in Staines.

#867 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:09:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
Alex S Offline

I'm off to Waterstones today to see what JGB books they might have...

#868 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:36:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
feline1 Offline

oh they'll have dozens!

You'll probably find one of the little short-story anthologies easiest to digest first.

Something like "the Atrocity Exibition" is completely "WTF?!?" experimental novel mentalness and not an easy read.

"HIGH RISE" is my fave most straigthforward novel, I think.

#869 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:44:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
Alex S Offline

Yep, they had quite a few.

Concrete Island, The Drowned World, Atrocity Exhibition, High Rise, Empire of the Sun and a few more.

I didn't get any, but they did sound incredibly intruiging. I'll probably buy Drowned World to take on holiday with me next month. It looks like a good length for my concentration span!

I really am a terrible reader when it comes to fiction. Despite my love of science fiction and writing occasional graphic novels, I really have trouble getting into fiction. On the other hand I get get completely lost in a biography!

I recently started to read Farenheit 451 - I love the film, but I just got gradually more bored with the book! I guess I'm hard to please!

...and on the other, other hand(!) a few years ago I got completely engrossed in 3 Arthur C Clarke novels and read each one from cover to cover! Mind you, I reckon I used up at least 10 years' reading quota getting through those books! But they were fantastic and Arthuc C Clarke's work is no easy read, believe me!!

Anybody curious as to which 3 books I read, they were The City and the Stars, The Fountains of Paradise and The Songs of Distant Earth this was an interesting one because of the Mike Oldfield album of the same name of which the book was the inspiration.

But anyway back to topic - after reading the back of The Drowned World, I'll certainly look forward to getting and reading the book (hopefully) in full (Ideally with Cathedral Oceans in the background!).

#870 - Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:39:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
Craig Offline

Loc: Peterborough
F1 - excellently described (don't say anything else about the 'watchtowers' cos I'm reading that at the mo'). Alex, as I said, all the short stories are being re-released in september, they're great for dipping into!
Cheers

#871 - Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:22:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
Paul L Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: This City
A very interesting interview indeed!

It is good to know more about one of John's main influences..

I am also interested in reading some JG Ballard stories/books.....will check out some of the recommended books above

#872 - Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:22:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
simon_s Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
Lord protect us from vocabulary-challenged nincompoops with spell-checkers :+)
Not sure if you're referring to the publisher of the interview or yourself here, but if it's the former that's quite a rude comment to make. if the latter, then i guess you're being 'self deprecating'...

#873 - Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:40:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
feline1 Offline

wanted a fight??
I'll give her a fight alright!
She said people use it in the lounge!!

#874 - Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:50:00 Re: Ballardian - A whirlpool with seductive furniture
Alex S Offline

I bought "The Drowned World". Looking forward to reading it!