Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#84440 - Thu, 22 Apr 2010 06:15:00 Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
robak Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Herts
Hi all,

Rusty has kindly asked me to help out with putting together the necessary research to help him turn his excellent Blitz/Club for Heroes/Camden Palace compilation album project into nice, shiny CDs.

Any tracks that you'd like to see on such an album - from 1978-1984 - besides the requisite not-on-CD Visage gems, if I have my way (and a few other new to CD classics too, if we can), do feel free to fire them away at:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=11418&post=57710&uid=215506793992#!/pages/DJ-Rusty-Egans-Playlist-1978-200/215506793992?v=app_2373072738

The more, the merrier, as far as we're concerned.

Thanks.

Rob

#84441 - Fri, 23 Apr 2010 06:37:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Chris C Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
Quote:
Originally posted by robak:
Hi all,

Rusty has kindly asked me to help out with putting together the necessary research to help him turn his excellent Blitz/Club for Heroes/Camden Palace compilation album project into nice, shiny CDs.

Any tracks that you'd like to see on such an album - from 1978-1984 - besides the requisite not-on-CD Visage gems, if I have my way (and a few other new to CD classics too, if we can), do feel free to fire them away at:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=11418&post=57710&uid=215506793992#!/pages/DJ-Rusty-Egans-Playlist-1978-200/215506793992?v=app_2373072738

The more, the merrier, as far as we're concerned.

Thanks.

Rob
Perfect Rob. Hope we see it one day released.

I've just emailed you my list. Hope you enjoy it and Rusty too. They don't make music like this nowadays.

Best!
Chris wink

#84442 - Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:29:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
robak Offline

Absolutely, and some great acts in there to consider further.

Cheers!

Anyone else?

Rob

#84443 - Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:05:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Chris C Offline

Hi Rob

I've just seen it, thanks!

Also, need to add the Top Of The Pops tune:

Yellow Pearl - Phil Lynott

The track includes the talents of Midge, Billy and Rusty of course.

One pioneering track that I've been listening a lot to recently is R.E.R.B. How on earth did this track get relegated to a b-side? It's rightful place should have been on the first Visage album. Out would have gone Tar (which was really a Photons track, an oddity), Fade To Grey would have been the fourth track on the album and R.E.R.B would have closed the a-side of the album.

Cheers!
Chris wink

#84444 - Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:08:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Paul Cook Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Orpington, England.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:

One pioneering track that I've been listening a lot to recently is R.E.R.B. How on earth did this track get relegated to a b-side? It's rightful place should have been on the first Visage album. Out would have gone Tar (which was really a Photons track, an oddity), Fade To Grey would have been the fourth track on the album and R.E.R.B would have closed the a-side of the album.
I have to admit I'm not the biggest Visage fan in the world but I'm a little confused by this. Why would the b-side of 'Angel Face' by 'Shock' appear on a 'Visage' album. I know Rusty was Co-producer but that's a bit of a tenuous link isn't it?

As said, I'm not the biggest fan, so if there is another link to Visage I stand corrected.
smile

#84445 - Wed, 28 Apr 2010 03:47:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Jimmy Messerschmitt Offline

A revised version of my Rusty Egan interview from February now appears on my own new electronic music website 'The Electricity Club'. I ask Rusty that very question about "R.E.R.B" being included on a VISAGE LP, hope this might give you an answer.

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/html/egan.html

Among the other features this month are an ULTRAVOX RTE2 Live review and an exclusive interview with Paul Humphreys from OMD

PS the original 'vocal' version of "Frequency 7" has to be found and dusted down for this

#84446 - Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:39:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Fantastic, thanks a lot, Jimmy! You're a great source of information smile

Wanted to know if the tapes for that "Fade to Grey" backing track, "Toot City", has survived all this time. Would be just great to hear that instead of "FTG" which we all know by heart now laugh

And yes, to finally release the original version of "Frequency 7" would be a real treat!

And "R.E.R.B.", too... laugh

#84447 - Thu, 29 Apr 2010 03:57:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
robak Offline

Yes to all of that, of course smile

Sorting out the Visage back catalogue is an aspiration amongst the group on the project now - and obviously it's something I've mentioned as part of our general discussions - but until the Blitz club projects are fully under way this is for the future.

Hmmm. Toot City. hadn't thought of whether that might still exist. More likely the sort of thing that Midge or Billy hung on to, perhaps. In any event, finding out exactly what Polydor/Universal has in their archives is obviously the first thing to do... should they be interested in doing anything in the first place, of course.

Obviously I'll let you all know once there's anything concrete to talk about, but for now it's the Blitz all the way... and then some smile

More news on this soon, I hope, once things are firmed up some more.

Rob

#84448 - Thu, 29 Apr 2010 04:47:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!

Here's a few obscure ones!

Peter Godwin was a regular at The Blitz and he released a song called "Torch Song For The Heroine" produced by Midge Ure. Very good it was too.

Midge also produced a single at that time by a band called Fatal Charm...the track "Paris" is one of those lost classics.

Anyway, Godwin later did the brilliant "Images Of Heaven" which Warren Cann did as a solo demo in '86...how about digging that one out from the Chrysalis vaults?

#84449 - Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:18:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
robak Offline

And of course Fatal Charm played support to Ultravox - they were that act before the mighty 'Vox on the Paris Theatre show.

Midge had form, it seems, on this kind of thing... even before the Messengers smile

Suggestions also duly noted, and I'm reminded again that I must send that review to you. Busy week, but I will do it soon...

Rob

#84450 - Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:11:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Vladimir Offline

Peter Godwin - YES! It'd be really cool to see him on CD, maybe he'll get some recognition through it - a really underrated guy! His first trio of singles - Torch Songs/Emotional Disguise/Images of Heaven - is a real tour de force.

Also Data, "Living Inside Me" will do.

How about Buggles, After the Fire and New Musik? Maybe a bit light, but still did some great stuff smile

#84451 - Fri, 30 Apr 2010 07:12:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
robak Offline

Thanks, Vladimir.

I'll add to them to the list, and if Rusty did play them at the time, then they'll ceratinly be considered.

How's the chart checking going, by the way?

Rob

#84452 - Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:06:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Vladimir Offline

Rob, I think I'll complete it by the end of May - now I have some work to be done on my paper but it won't take long smile

#84453 - Sat, 01 May 2010 01:56:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
robak Offline

Hi Vladimir - no problem. Just curious smile

It's going to be an ongoing project anyway, and I'm a little busy with all this Blitz stuff, and eventually another issue... smile

Rob

#84454 - Sat, 01 May 2010 23:36:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Chris C Offline

Hi Rob

Whilst I get my facebook sorted out, a track that is essential for the cabaret etc section of the Blitz album is:

The Nomi Song - Klaus Nomi

Enjoy!
Chris wink

#84455 - Sun, 02 May 2010 04:04:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
robak Offline

Yes, Chris, Facebook's the best place to drop your other song suggestions - sorry, haven't had time to reply to any of the e-mails over the last day yet to say that - and I'd add that Nomi song in there too, so I don't forget you've mentioned it here smile

Rob

#84456 - Wed, 12 May 2010 15:18:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!

Thought you might be interested to know that Rusty Egan will be DJing at the Back to the Phuture - Bestival launch party on Tuesday 25th May 2010. Free tickets have just been made avaialable.

The event will take place at La Beat Route (Moonlighting), 17 Greek Street, Soho, London W1D 4DR.

There will be live performances from HOWARD JONES and KIDS ON BRIDGES plus DJ sets from HEAVEN 17ís Martyn Ware and Mark Jones as well as Rusty Egan.

For more details on the event and how to obtain free tickets (limited to 2 per person), please visit Back To The Phuture at:

http://backtothephuture.net/news/2010/05/100525-bttp-live-central-london-venue.php

#84457 - Wed, 12 May 2010 17:03:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would be very interested in attending, but unless I am being monumentally dim (which I appreciate is quite possible), for tickets that are free (and indicated as such right up until the point of purchase) I have no will to find the answer at the checkout when told 'Error: 508 - Insufficient amount specified. Please contact the merchant'.

If there's no ticket allocation left, perhaps it would just be easier to tell people that rather leaving them with a sense of frustration and/or bewilderment.

frown

Have a great evening. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

Regards,

Paul

#84458 - Wed, 12 May 2010 23:48:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!

Hi Paul,

Sorry you've experienced problems. There appears to have been a temporary glitch.

A mate has just applied for tickets and has reported no problems. I've just done it myself and the e-tickets have arrived safely in my inbox.

Please give it another go, it'll be a shame if you miss out on what looks like will be a good night.

Try this link: http://crowdsurge.com/backtothephuture/

Cheers
Chi

#84459 - Fri, 21 May 2010 03:20:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
Alone With Strangers Online   content

Loc: a different planet
If this project is coming together isn't it ` great chance to get the Dance Mix album finally remastered and out on CD?

#84460 - Sat, 22 May 2010 18:24:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!
robak Offline

Hi, I presume we're talking Visage here, so which 'Dance Mix' album - Fade to Grey or Beat Boy?

Both of them? Hmmmm smile

Not the focus of activity at present, unfortunately, that's this Blitz project. However, I think that Rusty, like me, hopes we might be able to approach sorting out the Visage back catalogue - he's seen both mine, and another group's (take a bow, Rodney and Chris!), long-standing proposals for Visage re-masters now - off the back of a successful Blitz compilation. We'll see.

My aim is to help him do both, if possible smile

The Blitz list is certainly interesting in the breadth of its scope - the widest of the three club's playlists, naturally, as it was a grab-bag of different influences leading up to the New Wave explosion - and it'll be a fascinating compilation... if we can get it approved.

I think the fact that it only goes up to late 1980 will fox a few people expecting to see predominantly New Romantic stuff on it, because that didn't fully break out until the couple of month's gap between that club closing and Club for Heroes opening up in early 1981.

Any Blitz compilation will be like the prelude show leading up to the releases of Sleepwalk and To Cut a Long Story Short which, thankfully, both just fall into the Blitz net by dint of being played weeks earlier off promo copies.

Rob

#84461 - Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:00:00 Re: Blitz club album... plus - your help wanted!

For those of you that are interested, here's a very insightful interview with RICHARD JAMES BURGESS that I've just done for The Electricity Club.

It covers his work with LANDSCAPE, his production career, his time at The Blitz with SPANDAU BALLET, VISAGE, RUSTY EGAN etc and the realisation of the Simmons SDSV electronic drum kit:

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/html/int_burgess.html

Incidentally, RERB is being reissued on 13th September 2010