Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#84067 - Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:21:00 The Photons
Chris C Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
Not a lot has been written about Steve Strange's pre-Visage group The Photons. Perhaps there're a few paragraphs on Blitzed! (which I've still to read).

However, The Photons are mentioned on Jaki Florek's and Paul Whelan's book on Eric's. Here many artists are interviewed and John Foxx and Midge Ure make brief appearances.

Guitarist David Littler (Jones) was interviewed for this book. After the Liverpool based Spitfire Boys split in December 1977 David moved to London in the New Year and formed The Photons with Steve Strange on vocals. The band didn't last very long and by October 1978 both David and Steve parted ways.

In this book David points out that he co-wrote the three tracks they recorded during this period. Tar and Mind Of A Toy were later recorded by Visage. Madame Carla is the third track which has been lost in the vaults of time. During this DIY period, there has been so many controversies as to who were writing the songs. Mind Of A Toy's lyrics and melodies are clearly Steve's but Tar, which I've always regarded as an oddball in the Visage album, is likely to have been David's most significant input to The Photons. Madame Carla as a title sounds blitzed!

Chris wink

#84068 - Sat, 03 Oct 2009 15:48:00 Re: The Photons
david L. Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: oxfordshire
not a lot in "Blitzed" from what I remember. Certainly nothing detailed about what was recorded and when. Just that they did half a dozen gigs , and at the end of the last night was the day that Midge and Steve first talked about getting together and doing some recording themselves.