Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#7638 - Mon, 13 Dec 2010 02:25:00 for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
robak Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Herts
Darn, there's always something that catches your eye just days after putting an issue out.

On TV this Christmas - Sky Arts has this year's Prince's Trust show that Midge MC'd, while the BBC are running that Bob Geldof/Harvey Goldsmith docu-drama someone mentioned here a few months ago.

While it seems that Midge has been completely airbrushed out of the Live Aid story, at least going by the cast list where there's no mention of mention of anyone playing that part, maybe that's better in one way. After all, wouldn't it have been embarrassing if he'd been badly cast?

Still, I do feel it's a shame that they couldn't find a way to do it. And it hardly reflects the reality of the story - after all, Midge did more than just the press calls before the show.

I'll watch it, but fear I'll be muttering through a lot of it. Still, the Prince's Trust show will be some small recompense, I guess.

Rob

#7639 - Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:34:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by robak:
Darn, there's always something that catches your eye just days after putting an issue out.

On TV this Christmas - Sky Arts has this year's Prince's Trust show that Midge MC'd, while the BBC are running that Bob Geldof/Harvey Goldsmith docu-drama someone mentioned here a few months ago.
Yes, I saw this announced on www.midgeure.com the day after the gig many weeks ago. Should be interesting I suspect, although I'll quite happily pass on the Queen segment of the show if it's included as I think the band (or what's left of it) has run its course in the 19 years since Freddie Mercury's passing away.

frown

A couple of corrections, if I may. Midge was 'Musical Director' for the Prince's Trust show - the 'Master of Ceremonies' duty was shared by comedian Rob Brydon and Barry Humphries as his alter ego 'Dame Edna Everage'.

Some footage is out there on YouTube (apparently), but a good summing up and photos from the evening are available on the \'Princes Trust\' website .

Quote:
While it seems that Midge has been completely airbrushed out of the Live Aid story, at least going by the cast list where there's no mention of mention of anyone playing that part, maybe that's better in one way. After all, wouldn't it have been embarrassing if he'd been badly cast?

Still, I do feel it's a shame that they couldn't find a way to do it. And it hardly reflects the reality of the story - after all, Midge did more than just the press calls before the show.

I'll watch it, but fear I'll be muttering through a lot of it. Still, the Prince's Trust show will be some small recompense, I guess.
This is an interesting topic and always gets people either outraged or philosophical. I guess my view may be out of kilter with many (but there you go - not much new there). I think the problem here is possibly two fold; (1) that many may think ill of Bob Geldof for his forthright views on everything, and (2) the belief that Midge has been pushed out of everything by BG against his will and that proper credit has not been given where due.

I'm split to be honest; Midge did (and still does) a lot for the Band Aid Trust, but reading much that has been published over the years (including Midge's autobiography), what seems to come through is that Bob became the recognised face of the Trust because he really was the one banging on everyone's door (if you remember the encounter with Margaret Thatcher over the BA single VAT issue and then butter mountains going to waste in Europe) and making people sit up and take notice of the problems on a moral level of Ethopia (and later on Africa) and trying to get it taken it seriously. This is not to belittle Midge's contribution; it was and is important in the story, but I read parts where Midge himself has said every day Bob came in to BAT meetings he was greeted with something else that had been organised and was happening and that there were days when it was easier that Bob did take the public role as it allowed him to go back and come out of the whole thing relatively unscathed. He's also said that Bob is much more pushy than he ever would be, and has publicly recognised his contribution to the whole process many times.

I have no idea what the docu-drama is like as I haven't seen it. It does amaze me when people discuss things of what they will think of things before they are screened. I may watch it, but like many issues, I think there is enough in print and films already out there for me to consider rather than worrying whether an actor is or isn't playing the character of Midge in something that is (possibly not) the truth as it happened (it is a drama after all). Live Aid was about getting things done by people who had the power to change things for people who were powerless to help themselves in another continent. It wasn't about what a screenwriter, director, producers or actors interpretations of what they believed to or may/may not have happened 25 years after the event in a small low budget TV production. Maybe that's the thing to remember when you're viewing it rather than becoming outraged at something that no-one but the people who were there experienced, and was just a small part of what the wider event represented in what we now recognise to be a unique moment in 20th century history.

frown

Regards,

Paul

#7640 - Tue, 14 Dec 2010 02:11:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
Brian Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: 6 "Miles away" from ...
From digiguide:-

Full version is on Sky Arts 3D on 27th December 2pm-3.30pm followed by a look behind the scenes at 3.30-4pm.

For the rest of us who don't have 3D:-

MUSIC: Prince's Trust Rock Gala 2010: The Highlights
On: Sky Arts 1 HD (244)
Date: Friday 31st December 2010

Time: 18:00 to 19:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes long)

The greatest performances from the 2010 Prince's Trust Rock Gala. Some of the world's biggest rock stars performed to a star-studded audience at The Royal Albert Hall.
(New, Dolby Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, 2010)

Followed by :-

MUSIC: Prince's Trust Rock Gala 2010: By Invitation
Date: Friday 31st December 2010 (starting in 18 days)
Time: 19:30 to 20:00 (30 minutes long)

Red carpet highlights, back stage interviews and behind the scenes footage from The Prince's Trust Rock Gala 2010 at The Royal Albert Hall.
(New, Dolby Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, 2010)

Also repeated 1st January.

Brian

#7641 - Tue, 14 Dec 2010 02:56:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
CONNY'S PIG Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Sunderland
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:

MUSIC: Prince's Trust Rock Gala 2010: The Highlights
Date: Friday 31st December 2010

Time: 18:00 to 19:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes long)

Brian
New year's eve eh Brian. Good shout ole bean.Ah might tak a ganda afore ah get wankered on the Gaymer's Pear Cider. nutjob wink

#7642 - Tue, 14 Dec 2010 03:19:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
Staci Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
And hope it's on YouTube at some point for those of us who don't get Skye.

#7643 - Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:27:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
the "harvey & bob" dramadoc is scheduled for

26th Dec 9:15pm on BBC2 & BBC HD

with a repeat 31st Dec 1:35am on BBC1

#7644 - Thu, 16 Dec 2010 06:11:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
Natalie Offline

Loc: London, UK
Having just looked on the IMDB website, which tends to list absolutely everyone, Midge is definitely not portrayed. I do think this is a big oversight, whether or not it had been accurately done, as he was pretty much associated with the whole project at the time. Interestingly this point has been raised on a few other forums, where presumably the users are less biased than us!

I'd like to have seen who they'd have cast to play him; Paul McKenna would probably be a bit too old now! evil

#7645 - Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:47:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
robak Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Herts
Oh, I wouldn't disagree with a word of that, Paul, and it's obvious from the title where the focus lies. It's a big topic and they could only cover so much, but it just seems odd not to have a cameo by Midge in it somewhere though.

And, yes, what they pulled off was the most important thing, not the whys and wherefores of one drama. But, I certainly wasn't pre-judging it, as I'm always the first to give a new show a go if it appeals. Sorry, if the muttering thing didn't come across in the tongue-in-cheek way intended, even if I'm a stickler too for accuracy wherever possible.

But in the end there are more important things to worry about in life, which I think was your basic thrust here:)

Rob

#7646 - Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:48:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Oh, I wouldn't disagree with a word of that, Paul, and it's obvious from the title where the focus lies. It's a big topic and they could only cover so much, but it just seems odd not to have a cameo by Midge in it somewhere though.
You may or may not have done already, but if you read (or re-read) Bob Geldof's autobiography ' Is That It? ', he talks in quite extensive detail about how the concerts were put together; not just at Wembley, but also how the general apathy and inflexibility of the American cities the Trust wanted meant Philadelphia was eventually chosen more by reasons of practicality and pragmatism rather than choice. There are stories about Mick Jagger and David Bowie sitting in offices trying to work out whether they could do a duet of Bob Marley's 'One Love' with one of them performing at each venue in the two countries, how The Who fought at the first rehearsal before they'd even played a note, how Freddy Mercury didn't really want to do it but that he was going to be publicly named, not Queen, by Bob Geldof if he didn't - the cast list of great names from music is endless, as is the detail of how technically challenging it was to pull off the 'global jukebox'. You're right, it is (was) a huge story. But I'd rather re-read the acounts by the people who were actually there on the day rather than watch a drama made by others about one specific relationship more than twenty five years after the day.

Quote:
And, yes, what they pulled off was the most important thing, not the whys and wherefores of one drama. But, I certainly wasn't pre-judging it, as I'm always the first to give a new show a go if it appeals. Sorry, if the muttering thing didn't come across in the tongue-in-cheek way intended, even if I'm a stickler too for accuracy wherever possible.
No, your post didn't really come across as 'tongue-in-cheek' if that was the intention or unless I'm very bad at reading into things that are implied rather than literal on a forum (which is why it's not a good tactic to leave things to others interpretation of what you think you're saying). And on the accuracy point, maybe it's best to comment on the content and substance of the film after its been screened as opposed to several weeks before anyone has viewed it.

Quote:
But in the end there are more important things to worry about in life, which I think was your basic thrust here:)
There is, yes. But, no, my original post was more about (a) there being better accurate records of what happened on the day already than a/this 'docu-drama' and (b) that (if must) people should actually watch the thing before commenting on what was included and things that are perceived as wrong about it.

All the best,

Paul

#7647 - Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:23:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
StrangerWithin Offline

Loc: in exile
Unlikely that I'll watch the Harvey & Bob story but to be honest that would have been equally the case if it had been the Midge, Bob & Harvey story. There is enough actual footage of the real story out there without needing to see a dramatized version of any part of the story. Not into this kind of drama.

As far as the Princes Trust concert on Sky Arts is concerned I desperately want to see it, having been unable to go to the event but don't have access to Sky so hopefully it'll make it onto DVD eventually. As a huge Queen fan I was delighted that Brian & Roger were part of this and to have my two guitar heroes Midge and Brian performing together was fantastic. I've seen some of the Queen clips on you tube and the highlight has to be Midge singing Seven Seas of Rhye with Queen. Excellent!

For those who've not seen it Seven Seas of Rhye is about 8.30 minutes into the following clip
Prince\'s Trust 2010 concert
and here's another...
Last Horizon

#7648 - Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:36:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
Paul Smith Offline

Loc: Somewhere Else
Watched the Harvey and Bob film and fully understood why Midge wasn't in the cast, I thought it was a really good film. But the people that they picked to be brief look a likes in some scenes were awful lol !! The Billy Connolly looked like Jimmy Krankie ! The woman who played Paula Yates was not pretty enough (sorry) and the person who played Midge briefly in a couple of scenes was awful too !

#7649 - Wed, 29 Dec 2010 07:50:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
zico Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Sussex
I agree the casting wasn't great was it. "Connoly" was embarassing and they didn't even get some of the "legends" right. If I remember rightly Geldof said "**** the numbers just give us the money" whereas the programme said something bizarre about "**** the Post Office"!! Pity these dramas don't get their facts correct.

On the subject of Midge being airbrushed out of the story I can see the two sides. It was a Harvey and Bob story and you can't fit everything into two hours,,, but,,, for those watching it who had no knowledge of Live Aid, Band Aid etc they would be none the wiser now that Midge had anything to do with any of it and that I think is a little unfair.

The bit that did annoy me was earlier in the programme when the Band Aid single was attributed purely to Bob Geldof with no mention of it being co-wrote.

After all Bob did say once that the first phone call to Midge about doing something if Midge had just said "forget it" Geldof would have done just that. A few written words at the end of the programme showing the value of Midge in the entire Band/Live Aid story would have been a nicer way to have finished it.

#7650 - Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:41:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
Joby Offline

Loc: Louth, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by CONNY'S PIG:
Ah might tak a ganda afore ah get wankered on the Gaymer's Pear Cider.
Sophistication epitomised, Piggy...sigh, you're my hero.

#7651 - Sat, 01 Jan 2011 03:53:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Staci:
And hope it's on YouTube at some point for those of us who don't get Skye.
Seven Seas of Rye clip from the TV broadcast uploaded to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5l-ilQccU

#7652 - Tue, 04 Jan 2011 06:40:00 Re: for your viewing pleasure this xmas...
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Loc: Sunderland
It was a good show.
The Queen segment was class. Didn't the guy from Keane do well! Midge was in fine form once again, just as the link above will prove.

As for Dame Edna... biglaugh