Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#75995 - Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:10:00 Blowing one's own...
Broadwave Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Manchester
Hi all,

Although I'm not in the habit of blowing my own trumpet, as I'm such a shy and retiring person in real life lmao I've had a few requests from other forums that I belong to, and decided to do a quick page with some MP3's for your perusal.

The ditties date from 1983 to last year, when I sort of got writers block... Maybe one day It'll all come back... some of you may hope not wink

Website now down... Testing for work purposes.

Andy

#75996 - Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:41:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Flip Martian Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Here
Quote:
Originally posted by Mo's Lotion:
Although I'm not in the habit of blowing my own trumpet, as I'm such a shy and retiring person in real life lmaoAndy
Hmmm...I'm thinking that maybe that's not strictly TRUE, is it? wink biglaugh

Not at home much next coupla days but I'll definitely take a listen after the weekend. laugh

#75997 - Sat, 29 Oct 2005 03:40:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
OK, some quick feedback...

Rivets - Ace, wish someone would attempt a long version of this.
Quiet Men - think the lead synth should be higher in the mix, but otherwise superb.
Slow Motion - Wow!

Atomic - a PWL version with someone who can't sing like Debbie Harry. Like the music, not the vocals.

In My Life - Oh dear... smile

#75998 - Sat, 29 Oct 2005 04:58:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Broadwave Offline

Thanks, Si,

Yes, I knew I'd come a cropper with The Quiet Man instrmental break. Of course you know that there are two distinct mixes of this, the album version has a full on up front mix, and the 12" single has a slightly different drum track and a far more subdued break, the high "sawtooth" lead (in unison with the main sync lead) in the right channel is at a much lower level, which is what I was aiming for... that's my excuse anyway wink

I'm really pleased with the way that Slow Motion and Rivits turned out, glad you liked them... Now, if only I could find a vocalist...

As for the Disco Diva bits, It was a phase I was going through nutjob

Andy

#75999 - Sat, 29 Oct 2005 05:13:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
Quality stuff Andy - like Si - I would to hear a full length mix of Rivets - keep up the good work.

#76000 - Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:00:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Flip Martian Offline

Best laid plans - home after all so had a listen.

Rivets - superb. Needs to be longer (as does the original).
Slow Motion - great attention to detail - some of the sounds are excellent. The drums let it down though - they sound too static with no feeling.
Quiet Men - nice sounds again. The rigid drums suit this more and don't stick out like they do in SM... The only thing with the solo I would say is that its not very "fluid". Solos need to be emotional expressions to an extent (that's my take on them anyway) and Billy's were mostly like that. This felt more mechanical - like "make sure the notes are right and the timing is ok".

I think Si's being a bit harsh on the singer on Atomic - she sounded like she could sing well enough - just not like Debbie. Weird mix of styles in that track - some nice harsh bits (like the vocoder) but the Fairlight orchestra stabs and the general SAW-news of it all dates it hugely. But hey, it was unreleased... smile

Will have a listen to the others when I have more time. Sounds like someone certainly knows what they're doing though... laugh

#76001 - Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:30:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Sleepwalker Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I had the pleasure of hearing your stuff while in the office yesterday & overall..Brilliant wink

Peeps who blow their own trumpet...i've no probs with it, as long as they've got the talent to back it...& you have wink

#76002 - Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:56:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Broadwave Offline

Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated, makes me feel all warm and sort of... you know...

Ok, not that I have to explain (but I'm going to anyway), from around '92 - '96ish, I was employed by Loading Bay Records to churn out, precisely, that sort of "disco pap". They are the (spooky wailing Ooohoowoo..) "Dark Years" of my music career (career??!!), but I sort of moved on...

Besides, those particular tracks were really uploaded for a crazy bunch of Germans who keep pestering me, same with the World of Twist stuff. It seems that if something isn't available commercially, people will take whatever *is* available, even if it's a 20 year old 4 track demo... Some people are SO wierd, and I never understood how W.O.T achieved the sort of "cult" status that they did... Ooh, I feel a Creme Brulee moment comimg on - It's a shit business biglaugh

Drums and things... Yes you're right right Phil, I have a morbid fear of switching off Auto Quantize on Cubase, this goes back to the afore mentioned Dark Years, when everything had to be bang on the beat... Old habits die hard, but I'll try and switch it off eek

Anyhoo, time to pack my bags, as I'm off tomorrow night for a looong break, so If I don't respond to any other comments for a while, It's because the phone line *still* hasn't gone in.

Y'all take care hear?

#76003 - Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:53:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Sleepwalker Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Have a nice trip wink

#76004 - Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:08:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Broadwave Offline

Back in dear old Blighty...

Had the chance to listen to my own submissions on a decent system... Way *WAY* too bassy (Surely Bassy?)

Will re-mix and re-submit ASAP.

Andy.

Flip, if you read this, how good is that Cambridge set-up you have? Never used a sub woofer before... I think I need one as I've been guessing the bass end!!

#76005 - Mon, 28 Nov 2005 03:56:00 Re: Blowing one's own...
Flip Martian Offline

Got your PM - replied. Hope that helps a bit!