Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#75532 - Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:57:00 relaxation/hypnotherapy music
tollbooth Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: doncaster
hello all

slighly odd thread, but i've been commissioned to write some music for a hypnotherapist (i've already started making chicken noises as a result - just kiddin!)

i've already had a stab which i'd be happy to mail anyone who is interested, but i was wondering if there were any folk out there who'd done this sort of thing before and if they would be able to offer any thoughts and advice.

the general principles i'd figured out for myself so far are along the lines of:
- everything around apx 60bpm (slower than average heart rate)
- lots of sweeping pads
- no harsh, 'jagged' sounds
- no drums!
- very little discernable melody that might divert attention away from the therapists words
- highly repetitive
- slow evolving patches

i'm having fun at the mo, and using my favourite synth 'Atmosphere' from spectrasonics which really is just made for the job - some of the sounds take over 5 mins to evolve fully!

also using Absynth2, JV1080 and a little NI Reaktor.

thanks in advance.

paul d
tollbooth

#75533 - Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:54:00 Re: relaxation/hypnotherapy music
Mr. Weirdo Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: land of the lost souls ...
Quote:
Originally posted by tollbooth:
- everything around apx 60bpm (slower than average heart rate)
- lots of sweeping pads
- no harsh, 'jagged' sounds
- no drums!
- very little discernable melody that might divert attention away from the therapists words
- highly repetitive
- slow evolving patches
a very interestin' thread indeed , paul !!!

fyi : i've experimented myself with such ideas of "music to make u sleep well" etc. & i can only add the followin' to the already above mentioned : concentrate on the sweepin' of low to mid-frequency range sounds , as high frequency sounds are also very distractin' most of the time ... or in other words : the "warmer" / deeper the overall sounds seem to be , the better they're soothin' !!! zzzzz

btw : somethin' that also works very well in this particular context are diff'rent kinds of reverb effects , which are beginnin' on the left side of the speakers & end on the right side ... & the next sound comes in with a reversed reverb effect from the right side & evolves to the left then !!!
this "wave" sounds & effects are indeed very effective , as i can tell u from my own experiences !!! wink

however ... have fun with such experiments as much as i did & sometimes still do !!!

anyway ... c u ! smile

olaf a.k.a. ..::=|MeTaMaTRiX|=::..

#75534 - Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:46:00 Re: relaxation/hypnotherapy music
tollbooth Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: doncaster
hey mr meta!

thanks for the thoughts, i really like the idea of 'moving reverbs' - i've been quite careful about things that move too much in the stereo field as again i didn't want things to be too distracting, and also because i was a bit wary that a lot of this music may get played on little mono bedroom systems and didn't want to end up with mono compatibility problems.

i'm writing again this afternoon and so will have a go with some of the ideas you've mentioned. i have a couple of nice panners and evolver reverbs.

thanks for the tip about higher frequencies - i was listening late last night to one track, and you're absolutely right, there is a little blippy sound i used which just really stood out and got quite loud at one point, so i tamed that a bit.

anything else you can think of, i'll always be interested.

best regs

paul d

#75535 - Thu, 13 Jan 2005 04:49:00 Re: relaxation/hypnotherapy music
Mr. Weirdo Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: land of the lost souls ...
hi paul ! smile

btw : u can call me olaf - instead of "mr. meta" !!! wink

i'm glad that u found my comments & suggestions helpful , m8 !!! smile

Quote:
Originally posted by tollbooth:
anything else you can think of, i'll always be interested.
well ... i could actually go on about the effects that music & sound / noise in general has on the human psyche for ages , but i suppose that i should better write a book about it or - even better than that - produce "a soundtrack for our souls" itself then !!! wink

fyi : i'm indeed doin' the latter under the name of THE HALCYON PROJECT already for some years by now & the "HALluCYnatiON" album ( or maybe even double-album !? wink ) might be released this year or in the next year(s) , but i'm actually workin' with the same "speed" as john foxx works on his "cathedral oceans" releases ... if u know , what i mean !? confused2

however ... here are some things that i've also made use of durin' the long term production work on the "HALluCYnatiON" album , which may - hopefully - help u to gain somethin' special also in your case , paul !!!

jus' play & record a simple melody line & then slow down the speed of it to a minimum ... step by step , while the track is runnin' ... until it comes to an end with ( almost ) zero bpm !!!
this very simple effect not only helps people to relax & calm down , but they also might remember the melody line later & hum it instinctively & without even recognizin' , where they know it from !!! *sly_grin*

to (re)use "wind & water"-like "wave" sounds or noises also helps to create a very relaxin' mood for the listeners !!!

btw : i use to play such relaxin' tunes mainly with one of my theremin devices , which i can "direct" - instead of jus' "play" - like a concert conductor , if u happen to know , how such a theremin device works , paul !?

sometimes i add some subharmonic textures to the sounds & / or noises with another special device , which can be very effective too , but might also distract a bit too much , if u need to listen to a voice in the foreground then !!!

okay ... this should be enough of my musical blah blah for today , fellows !!! laugh

anyway ... c u again 2morrow ! smile

olaf a.k.a. ..::=|MeTaMaTRiX|=::..

#75536 - Sat, 15 Jan 2005 05:17:00 Re: relaxation/hypnotherapy music
Nige K. Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: East Yorkshire
Hi! I've recently done this sort of thing, it was for someone who does spiritual healing with hypnosis!? However I had their voice and words on tape which helped with regards to the pace etc. I recorded somewhere in the region of 90-100bpm. Your problem could be the length of music required, I recorded about 3 or 4 pieces that had to be in the region of about ten minutes each, so don't shy away from a rhythm track of some sort, if required introduce it halfway through. I find light percusive sounds or filtered kick/snare do the job but not too loud in the mix.
As for the sounds, pads and choirs will get you started. I then add acoustic guitars, pianos, organs , chimes and the odd sound effect (streams, birds singing).
Anyhow good luck.
PS
The good news was the lady in question loved the music.

#75537 - Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:26:00 Re: relaxation/hypnotherapy music
Flip Martian Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Here
Well I've not written any hypnotherapy stuff but I'm happy to own up to having had hypnotherapy and still have the sessions recorded.

The music/background used was meant to help the patient visualise something to concentrate on - the tapes I have are basically birdsong, running water (like a stream or babbling brook) and acoustic guitar noodling - basically the player was playing similar themes all the way through but it sounded like he/she was adlibbing a fair bit and just jamming it. And the guitar was heavy on the reverb!

The visualisation I came up with was an old fashioned walled garden with a stream running through it and someone sitting in amongst the plants playing guitar (hey, it worked for me, ok?! smile The main IDEA of the session that kept getting reinforced that at different times I concentrate on the therapist's words but that at others, I concentrate on the "music".

I think if you have any kind of tune or hook at all, that might be quite distracting - but I also got the impression that the therapist's script was written around the backing to an extent - where she said "concentrate on the music" at 1 point, I eventually realised at the point she shuts up for a minute there was a very low in the mix voice telling me something - no idea what, as its too low to make it out. Probably "come back for more sessions and pay me lots of money..." laugh

Hope that gives you some pointers!

#75538 - Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:18:00 Re: relaxation/hypnotherapy music
Sleepwalker Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Flip Martian:
Well I've not written any hypnotherapy stuff but I'm happy to own up to having had hypnotherapy and still have the sessions recorded.

The music/background used was meant to help the patient visualise something to concentrate on - the tapes I have are basically birdsong, running water (like a stream or babbling brook) and acoustic guitar noodling - basically the player was playing similar themes all the way through but it sounded like he/she was adlibbing a fair bit and just jamming it. And the guitar was heavy on the reverb!

The visualisation I came up with was an old fashioned walled garden with a stream running through it and someone sitting in amongst the plants playing guitar (hey, it worked for me, ok?! smile The main IDEA of the session that kept getting reinforced that at different times I concentrate on the therapist's words but that at others, I concentrate on the "music".

I think if you have any kind of tune or hook at all, that might be quite distracting - but I also got the impression that the therapist's script was written around the backing to an extent - where she said "concentrate on the music" at 1 point, I eventually realised at the point she shuts up for a minute there was a very low in the mix voice telling me something - no idea what, as its too low to make it out. Probably "come back for more sessions and pay me lots of money..." laugh

Hope that gives you some pointers!
My word Flip old boy...yer up with the craw in the mornin' are ye no!!! bemused

#75539 - Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:07:00 Re: relaxation/hypnotherapy music
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
Yeah bloody was - girlfriend left her central heating on timer and it started about 5.30. It bangs and clicks like hell. Like trying to sleep in the engine room of a ship...in the middle of a battle.

If I'd gone downstairs to switch it off I'd have got ambushed by her cats which would have just kept me awake so I came home and left her sleeping... biglaugh