Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#75350 - Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:03:00 Three semi-demo tracks
Peter Lowland Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Finland
Hello people,

After a long time thinking about this I decided to put a few tracks ready to be downloaded. It would be great to hear comments, a few lines or something, even though I'm not good at listening to feedback :-D. Unfortunately the lyrics are in Finnish, this being a local project. (These are almost finished tracks from my studio, not mastered or anything, it's our 11th album.) That singer guy is a good friend of mine, Sami Asp. All the rest is played by me and it's all samples, I'm a keyboard player, you see.

Never learnt to play guitar :-(

If somebody wants to have a rough translation, I'll do it. Yep, I know. Finnish lyrics sound quite awful - I'd rather do songs in English (Finglish?), but these will have to do.

The tracks are:

http://www.peterlowland.com/Kaaokseen.mp3 - "Into My Chaos"
http://www.peterlowland.com/SaEtSitaNaa.mp3 - "You Don't See That"
http://www.peterlowland.com/KaksiVarjoa.mp3 - "Two Shadows"

-Peter

#75351 - Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:41:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Flip Martian Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Here
Having vocals in Finnish doesn't bother me - Sami obviously has a great voice. Enjoyed all 3 tracks and probably liked the first one best. Comments as follows (if you want to read them wink )

Track 1 - like a lot. The chorus tune - to my English ears - is a bit "Eurovision". Production and arrangement, sounds vocals etc - all really professional sounding.

Track 2 - catchy riff. Again, can't fault this - really pro sounding.

Track 3 - intro again is a bit "Eurovision" - I expected it to explode into euro rock...glad it didn't! Piano is really nice. Obviously as a ballad it probably works better knowing what the words are but again, you guys sound totally professional. Are you signed in Finland?

#75352 - Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:38:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Peter Lowland Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Flip Martian:
Having vocals in Finnish doesn't bother me - Sami obviously has a great voice. Enjoyed all 3 tracks and probably liked the first one best. Comments as follows (if you want to read them wink )

Track 1 - like a lot. The chorus tune - to my English ears - is a bit "Eurovision". Production and arrangement, sounds vocals etc - all really professional sounding.

Track 2 - catchy riff. Again, can't fault this - really pro sounding.

Track 3 - intro again is a bit "Eurovision" - I expected it to explode into euro rock...glad it didn't! Piano is really nice. Obviously as a ballad it probably works better knowing what the words are but again, you guys sound totally professional. Are you signed in Finland?
Thanks for comments!

Well, actually I do have a publishing deal as a composer - this project has been for years on its own, we just do licensing deals with record companies and try to earn our living thru that, some radio airplay and that's it - it employs 8 people, tours and all (of course this is quite minimal, we happen live, make music & tour in Finland, the land of woods and lakes and reindeers and alcoholists).

However, lately I've been quite unsure what to do next. I just barely recovered from a real serious writer's block - I could hardly write a line during six months, I was just 'locked'. My fellow bandmates were a bit worried, I have to admit. Perhaps I just should stop thinking too much and just write down everything - to release the good tunes one has to finish the bad ones as well. By the way: I gave Ari our latest cd on that Saturday and was eager to hear his comments. I ended up thinking he didn't like the tracks at all since he didn't answer my SMSs and calls. The truth was a bit different, though. :-/

Hmm, eurovision? Actually, yes. Shite! :-D Now that I listen to this after a few weeks, it's true. Oh dear, better go and buy some darts and start throwing them into my own forehead. :-D

Track #2 has gained quite a lot of attention since it's so different from our previous material. We happened to start our so-called "career" as a euro dance act in the early nineties (me? A fan of UV and Depeche plus some NIN thrown in?)... a bouncing four-on-the-floor kick & TB-303 are still there every now and then, but now there are more "guitars" involved - and other flavors as well. It's mainly gigs and touring that have lengthened (is that a word, really?) our span of life - we still like to play and have fun, get our kicks and adrenaline rushes.

Around 1992-93 we did around 240-260 gigs a year, now we hardly manage about 80 gigs (although they're better organized and paid for nowadays). I'm youngest, at 35, so that is a limiting factor as well... Hmm, perhaps that's enough of our boring history. Anyway: I do the songs, Sami sings and on stage there are five of us plus three technicians - and a heavy dose of electronics: Two Macintoshes, two Roland V-Synths, a Nord Modular G2X, Ddrum4 + pads, 12 tracks of hard disk audio and a healthy set of controllers. Oh, and a guitar. And a few old guys. And me. :-D

Deeper analysis: Some people go to a pub, others go golfing, some people have to have an excuse (a seminar, a meeting) to go and party. And we then? We go and play some party music and drink our asses off, enjoy some good cigars and wine (ahh!) and sleep our increasingly intensifying hangovers away. Hmm, it could be a lot worse. ;-)

Bottom line: We wouldn't do that if we (and the audience) didn't like it. But thanks for the comments, really! It's good to have an independent and fresh view.

-Peter

p.s. Again, it seems, I wrote a lengthy reply. Somebody make me stop!

#75353 - Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:22:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Flip Martian Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Lowland:

p.s. Again, it seems, I wrote a lengthy reply. Somebody make me stop!
Peter...shut up.

wink

#75354 - Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:28:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Flip Martian Offline

Peter! Have you pulled the tracks already? Why? Put them back so I can get a copy! laugh wink

#75355 - Mon, 25 Jul 2005 07:59:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Peter, if you're up for it at any point, you could send me a copy of a demo for a review on www.synthpop.net.

One of the demo's I reviewed that seems to have gone down really well was the one by Secret Garden (not sure if you have heard of them), although there are a few others on there. Feel free to browse...

#75356 - Wed, 27 Jul 2005 05:23:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Peter Lowland Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Si_W:
Peter, if you're up for it at any point, you could send me a copy of a demo for a review on www.synthpop.net.
Sorry. My mistake!

These last two days have been sooo busy. I had a hard disk crash and some of the data became corrupt. They're back now.

-Peter

#75357 - Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:00:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Flip Martian Offline

I've d/led them to keep now - I have the chorus of "Kaaokseen" going around my head constantly this morning.... which is weird as I haven't a clue what the words are... bemused

Peter = any chance of you sharing some other tracks online at some point? From other albums maybe?

#75358 - Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:35:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Peter Lowland Offline

Quote:
I've d/led them to keep now - I have the chorus of "Kaaokseen" going around my head constantly this morning.... which is weird as I haven't a clue what the words are... bemused
Gotcha! Nailed! :-D

My rule #1 to write songs: I usually keep a song in my head for at least two weeks before I write anything down. If I remember something after that silence, there has to be a good reason to remember stuff...

The chorus would be SO naive if it was translated to English. Some words just don't - bend? Translate, I mean.

In Finnish:
"Tän / Kaiken selvänä nään / Ette voi ymmärtää / miltä tuntuu kun pyörteet ottaa vangikseen / ne tuulettaa pään / kaiken taas selvittää / mä tahtoisin hautautuu yksin tähän kaaokseen"

DIRECT translation: "These / things I see so clearly / you just cannot understand / how it feels to be trapped by counterflows / they clear your head / make everything like new / I just want to be left alone in this chaos"... oh dear. Go figure. "This guy's ready for the shrink" I hear you say. :-D

Hmm, some nuances and finesses are naturally dropped due to this violent translation, but the basic idea still remains. My idea of a desktop and a diary is a tamed black hole... Hence the lyrical theme for this song. Again, go figure.

-Peter

#75359 - Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:19:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Flip Martian Offline

Great! I can sing along now...

er..

eek You use so many vowel sounds...

Seriously though, thanks for that. at least I can work out what its about and what he's singing (rather than the strange "vocal noises" I had in my head...)

Blimey, I can't stop humming it...MAKE IT STOP!!! wink

Come on Peter, where can I hear more of your music? I'd give you the link to mine but its really not in the same league sonically...

#75360 - Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:21:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Peter Lowland Offline

Quote:
Great! I can sing along now...

Come on Peter, where can I hear more of your music? I'd give you the link to mine but its really not in the same league sonically...
A native Englishman singing phonetic Finnish, now that's something worth releasing! :-D

Hmm. "Sonically"... I'm used to drowning the faults of a song into a huge amount of tracks; I guess I'm afraid of presenting the songs by themselves, in their rawest form.

I feel a bit confused right now - it's these tiny pieces of positive feedback that make me go "huh?" If someone can listen to any of those songs without feeling ridiculously sick, it's fine :-) For me, after hearing a song for the 500th time is just unbearable (that's how often I usually press "play" or "record" during the making of a song... (it's quite an accurate amount, I've used a ticker many times.)) :-P Anyway, even though I feel very insecure, I just uploaded three more songs. Masochist, me?

www.peterlowland.com/Sateeseen.mp3 - "In the rain"
www.peterlowland.com/TheDayBefore.mp3 - ...hmm... :-)
www.peterlowland.com/SeOisJoLiikaa.mp3 - "That would be too much"

The first one (and the third as well), again, with Sami handling the vocals. The second one is merely a just-barely-halfway-there-demo of a song originally sung in Finnish. However, the second one's been translated to English by someone waiting for a head shot. (I wouldn't place my bets for the correct pronounciation, grammar, whatever etc...) The singer guy is - again - one of my friends, Jari. All of the songs were released here in Finland.

I'm _so_ sorry about the trance-ish solo in the second song, but that was sooogoddamn fashionable in Finland around 2000-2001. :-D The third one is there just because of the solo in the outro section - that's just my poor man's rendition of Mr. Currie's Arp Odyssey Solo Sound(tm), using a Roland V-Synth. By the way, that's one hell of a live song (according to audience feedback), a gig starter, actually - not necessarily the most original one, especially what comes to songwriting...

Hmm, this is actually a bit like letting my little kids walk to school by themselves for the very first time. :-) "There they go, into the cruel world..." How could I emphasize more how much I despise that particular feeling? :-)

-Peter

#75361 - Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:39:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Flip Martian Offline

I reckon its normal to hate your stuff after listening to it so much, no worries there. laugh

I'm out tonight but will d/l these tmrw night and have a listen. At lest they might shift that bloody tune out of my head finally...still there, by the way... eek

#75362 - Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:27:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Sly Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Warsaw - somewhere in Poland ;...
I am listening your songs:
1-Kaaokseen - this song has very good drive the great vocals. I agree it's good for Eurovision. I also like the base line.

2-Sa et sitanaa - good, but may be for me too much pathetic

3 - Kaksi varjoa - the vocals on the beginning remains me Jon Bon Jovi. I like delicate piano ang strings - romantic!!!
Your "All in One Day" wink

4- Yksin sateeseen - I very liked very powerfull, Really Hit, and dynamic differences. For my "soul" this gutar could more dirty. But the song is favourite number two

5-The day before - the climat is close to rock music, the vocals is the best, beautifull, romantic and powerfull, guitars closer to my soul. Very good song - don't think that reason is language

6-Se ois jo likaa - wink I prefer the other five smile

i'm waitng for next

All the best part smile

Sly

#75363 - Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:31:00 Re: Three semi-demo tracks
Flip Martian Offline

Well I've downloaded the others now - not too keen on the trance track but I like the other 2 very much. It sounds like Sateseen (the 1st track) is the one with the "Billy" sound solo on it, not the 3rd one (in case anyone else is reading this).

Peter, thanks for letting us hear your stuff and thanks for the background info on the band. I reckon your gigs must be "a real good time". I hope your writer's block is over; you obviously have a real talent and you know some people with great singing voices. If ever you get round to selling anything on the internet, let me know. smile