Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#75165 - Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:47:00 To sleep or not to sleep
Nils Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Bremen, Germany
Hi!
As I've mentioned before I wanted to record an intro for my Track "Rapid Eye Movement". Although it does not sound the way I had imagined before I'm quite happy with the result.

Part1 - lying tired in the bed and falling asleep
This part is quite gentle and already uses the main melody of "Rapid Eye Movement". The guitar may sound a bit out of tune, but this isn't the case. It's just the effect that makes it sound this way. But I think it's not bad, it gives a specific feeling.

Part2 - Everyone knows the feeling of lying awake, sleepless, with thousands of thoughts running through the very tired head wink .
It was supposed to sound a bit like Tangerine Dream, but it has become pure JM Jarre wink . This is the first track I have used my new toy for the guitar, the E-Bow.

Part3 - Rapid Eye Movement
This is the part some of You already know. It's the R.E.M.-dreamphase, and like dreams it stops at the best point wink . There is no crossfade between part 2 and 3 because I would also like to have this track as "stand alone".

These tracks will be single tracks on my CD-R, but they will definitely come one after another. I made one mp3 because I just wanted to show how this was meant.

To sleep or not to sleep
(5,7 MByte)

#75166 - Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:37:00 Re: To sleep or not to sleep
BlueVision Offline

Loc: Berlin, Germany
Hello maestro!
Well done, I like it very much, thanks for this! You are right regarding Part 2. The rhytmic synths sounds like Tangerine Dream, the Jarre-Feeling is caused by the melodic synth-layer, I think. It is a very nice piece you created. However be careful with this, or you have to pay "royalties for the sound" to JM Jarre... wink
Yes and I think it was discussed previously here somewhere, you didn't changed the ending of part 3. This sounds like the wakeup-call of an electronic clock. And this is my small personal problem with it. I hate these clocks terrorizing me in the early morning...
You talked about a CD-R. Is there more like this on it?

#75167 - Fri, 23 Dec 2005 06:05:00 Re: To sleep or not to sleep
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Definately a Jarre-ish feel to part two, Nils.

Don't have a problem with your alarm clock ending the dream, although I can't quite remember what it was all about... wink

#75168 - Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:06:00 Re: To sleep or not to sleep
Havocman Offline

Loc: The depths of Sherwood Forest....
It probably involved being naked at a busy railway station and then having to sing. Or is that just me? nutjob

Will give the music a listen in the New Year, Nils, when less pressed for time. laugh

#75169 - Mon, 02 Jan 2006 06:21:00 Re: To sleep or not to sleep
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
Nils - your Part 2...shouldn't that be really part 1? I usually lie awake with a million thoughts through my head...THEN eventually lie tired in bed and fall asleep (which is your part 1!).

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter - this is really good, I like it a lot. Well done on finishing it so well, it really goes together nicely. VERY GOOD! laugh

#75170 - Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:54:00 Re: To sleep or not to sleep
Nils Offline

Loc: Bremen, Germany
Thank You all!
Flip, You may be right. My idea was that someone lies awake after he fell asleep, maybe at 2 or 3 AM.
BlueVision, I kept the alarm clock because it's a part of the concept. Of course I know that it is a terrible noise wink .
The CD-R I've mentioned is nothing official. I just make albums of my music when I think I have enough tracks done. So this will feature everything since 2002 (e.g. "Keep Turning" as well).
Those CD-Rs are not official and so You can't buy them. But if someone's interested he can have one (but it's not finished yet).

Greetings
Nils

#75171 - Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:52:00 Re: To sleep or not to sleep
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
Nils, no - you're right, I understand what you mean for each part now. smile