Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Current Ultravox promotional banner, click here for exclusive bundles

Topic Options
#68955 - Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:40:00 Tentatively offered view...
1.Outside Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Birmingham
So far for me the star entry is Maurizio's instrumental version of Lament. As Phil said elsewhere, Lament really suits this treatment. I thought a version of Lament was the best one last time (Mrs X). Maybe there's a pattern... I'm still listening to some of them again (Note: I am not a judge). By the way, I could never vote for White China - even if David Bowie had submitted a version!

I find the vocal contributions a bit tricky because I'm too used to John/Midge's voices. That's not to say they're bad versions, far from it.

Well done to all that put the time and effort in to make the competition so interesting.

#68956 - Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:44:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
1.Outside Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Another big shout for Maurizio's Visions in Blue - another lovely version.

Those are good enough for my iPod.

#68957 - Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:57:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
PW Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Central coast California
I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for listening to all these and for taking the time to rate them, too.

I'm enjoying a lot of them -- more comments on that after the results.

Personally, I'm not all that happy with my own remix -- rain, wind and power blips cut a couple of days out of my time to work on it right before deadline, and I intend to do what someone else here says he's going to -- submit a more finished version -- one with proper EQ and volumes and all that -- after the judging is over.

Regardless, it was so much fun to do -- I NEVER would have done anything like it before coming across this incredible site and getting the encouragement of the amazingly friendly people here -- and it's just a really nice experience to meet new people, hook up with fans, and enjoy the lovely conversations and wonderful memories and current experiences related to the superb Ultravox -- who, as time passes, just keep getting better and better.

So...thanks! It's great!

-PW-

#68958 - Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:41:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
BlueVision Offline

Loc: Berlin, Germany
Well said. My special problem is now, that the "standard of expectation in sound" is at such a high level on this years CC, I will never be able to participate in future. You know, some people have talent, some not...
Thanks to everybody of you musicians and artists for participating and giving these tracks to us.

I burned for myself all the tracks from the archive to an MP3-CD and listening to it every morning when I drive to work by car.
Thinking about this more and more, another question for me is, if there are any regulations for copyrighting the CC-tracks? I think if somebody is giving his output in this way to the fans here, it is free for us members. But do the artists not having a right for protecting it somehow? I don't want to pay this copyrighting-theme that much attention, but most of the tracks are worth in bringing it somehow to disc. And some people are trying to make money with everything. Additionally a cover may violate the original copyrights eventually. Don't understand me wrong. I think the originally UVOX-musicians are happy about this CC and reading Warren's comments about last CC's judging points out for me that this form of fan-culture and "living" this music is very welcome in general.

But I think it is also time to invest some thought's in this. My wish is, that this music from CC is somehow protected from "misuse and making profit" with it. It is music from fans for fans with a very high standard.
I think until now eventually existing rights on these CC-tracks are totally out of discussion here and I really don't want to push this up that much. But for protecting this site from ugly discussions, there should exist an agreement for this in the rules of participating, if not already done.
I have some experience with (german wink ) lawyers and sometimes it is unbelievable from which direction the projectile hits you. I just want to prevent eventually future problems or am I "over-fearfully"? frown
What do you think?

#68959 - Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:48:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
Cerise Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Thanks Paul! laugh

#68960 - Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:51:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
Cerise Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Andi - don't let that stop you entering the comp next year, it's the ideas, creativity and musicianship that we mostly look at. smile

Regarding copyright - I've no idea where something like this stands. As far as I'm aware, if it's something that's just done for fun like this, then it shouldn't be a problem. But if we were, say, to write a set of discs of the entries and sell copies for a couple of quid to cover costs, then we'd be getting onto very dodgy ground - so I'm afraid we won't be doing that.

#68961 - Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:38:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
PW Offline

Loc: Central coast California
Quote:
Originally posted by Cerise:
Thanks Paul! laugh
You're more than welcome!

BTW, I'd like to try my hand at this copyright question, since I've done some consulting in that area. And while I don't know all the details of UK copyright law, it's much the same as US, since both are signatories to the Berne Convention, the int'l agreement which has certain standards which all signatories must meet.

Of all the "bundle of rights" that copyright holders enjoy, the specific one in question here is the right to "create derivative works;" that is, to produce variations of the copyrighted work.

That right belongs to ALL authors of a work; if there's just one author, he or she is the only one who can authorize it. If there are five, all five can authorize it individually, or in any combination.

The fact that Warren (and maybe others; I haven't looked at the entire history of the site yet), who was one of the authors of the songs, or at least a lot of them, has not only given permission to members here, but encouraged them (us) to create derivative works, makes any version of them OK.

Also, the Berne Convention, as well as historical US law, limits the degree to which either copyright holders or authors can limit COVER works to the first sale.

IOW, if I write something, sing it in public, but don't want to grant license to it to anyone to record it, I can see to it that it's never recorded by anyone.

Once I DO license it, though, and that work is publicly released, that's the end of my control over who records a version of it -- not MY version, but their OWN. ANYONE is allowed to record and release it, as long as they don't "destroy the work" in the process (for example, inserting insulting obscenities after every mention of the word "I," thus making the original artist a source of contempt), and as long as they pay licensing royalties (a few cents per recording) to the copyright holder, whether that's the author or the recording or publishing company who took copyright when it was publicly distributed it.

SO, from what I know (and it's certainly nowhere near everything...) no one here who's done a cover is in any jeopardy, just as they don't release it (as Cerise noted) for profit without paying licensing fees.

That leaves just one questionable area, and that's in the case of people like myself who didn't just, in my own entry, use the song, but also used the sounds for which the record company paid. This is a potential issue because who holds copyright on the SONGS and who holds them on the SOUND RECORDINGS is often different, and usually, it's the record company who's the copyright holder in the sound recordings.

This is the area where the suits over sampling have come from.

However, record companies are so much less associated in the public mind with released albums than are the artists that usually if artists say, publicly, "go ahead and do it," as Warren fundamentally did in asking people to strip things down to the vocals, record companies nearly always shrug and give it up, since they're going to be facing four sets of opponents -- the artist, the creator of the new work from the sound recording, copyright freedom advocates AND the public -- if they try to interfere with what's been granted.

SO.... it's my impression that we're on safe ground here. And if Island or Chrysalis or later companies write and say "desist!" that's a simple matter of taking down a couple of files. As long as no one tries to profit, I don't believe, to the best of my limited knowledge, that anyone has anything to worry about. I do appreciate the question being raised, though -- that's good citizenship.

-PW-

#68962 - Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:23:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
BlueVision Offline

Loc: Berlin, Germany
Yes and that was my intend in bringing this up here. I thought it is important that we have a general agreement for this here on the site. Mainly it is for protecting the artist's work (original artists and covering artists) and to protect this site from eventually problems. Think it is done now. I am glad about your detailed statement. I think most of the people here agree to this. Thanks!

#68963 - Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:59:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
maudan Offline

Loc: Genoa
Sorry for entering the forum very late... my job doesn't allow me a lot of free time, I've been abroad for business and I've read the comments just now.
I would like to thank everybody for the kind comments about my effort.
To be honest I never thought to obtain such a big success, the honourable mention it's like a victory for me.
I've posted my covers just to share my effort with other Ultravox fans and to have a feedback.
This result and the comments are very encouraging for me.

Cheers and thank you again

#68964 - Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:59:00 Re: Tentatively offered view...
maudan Offline

Loc: Genoa
Whoops
I forgot to say that Maudan is the login for Maurizio Daniele.