Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#68514 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 03:40:00 Re: Covers Competition
Cerise Offline

Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Bristol, UK
Darren, your files have been removed, you have been unsubscribed from the mailing list and your Forum account has been deleted. Please note though that the latter does not remove your previous posts. Take care, m'dear.

Cheers,
Cerise.

#68515 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:20:00 Re: Covers Competition
Cerise Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Before I forget - ULTIMA BLEEP, could you please send me an address, so that we can send your 'Overall Winner' prize of a copy of each of the Vienna and Rage in Eden CDs when they come out next month?

Cheers!
Cerise.

#68516 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:35:00 Re: Covers Competition
leggylady Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_L:
I had to take my mic into the quietest place in my house (upstairs in the hall) closed all the doors and stood as still as possible to prevent the floorboards from squeaking.
ROFLMAO..... I know what you mean, I was similar...... I did mine at about 2:30am and it was really really warm, had all the windows open and John and the kids in bed. I was trying to sing as QUIETLY as possible (difficult, I have a really loud voice) didn't want to wake the neighbours or me family and when Jesper tried to turn it up a bit, he heard a high pitched noise in the background.... the laptop I was recording onto!!!!

I'm meant to be building a studio in the garden (for me artwork etc) but it couldn't possibly used for music purposes (I wanted it as duel purpose) as we have trains going past every 15/20mins! frown :rolleyes:

#68517 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:30:00 Re: Covers Competition
JesperDK Offline

Loc: Denmark
Very interesting everybody! smile

In general:
Logic 5.51 sequenser (PC) and RME Fireface 400
firewire soundcard and Soundcraft M12 mixer. During the mix I worked
with all tracks as audio files - including
the midi tracks which were recorded as audio too
To me it was a heavy experiment on how good I would be able to do it with software mostly - and how to get the best results with the combination I got of software and hardware.
To me it many times turned out to be rather
difficult, because Im used to do it hardware only. Especially doing the mixing these problems
became obvious to me - and my little conclusion
(too me) was, that either you mix entirely in the box (computer) or you do it hardware only.
A combination can be very difficult - to me!
When I say mix I also mean the use of compresssors, EQ`s and effects. I made many many
mistakes on the way - but I certainly did learn a lot!!! smile

Drums: Native Instruments Battery 1 with samples
from Linn Drum and others with reverb from Lexicon MPX-1.
Compression and EQ etc:
Sonnox Dynamics + Inflator and Eiosis AirEQ
I borrowed the snare sample from
Warren on "Heart Of The Country" I think confused2

Bass guitar: Fender Precision (mex) recorded
using a Radial JDI MK4 Duplex DI-box and
Focusrite Compounder compressor. I doubled the track - I re-amped one of them through the
AdrenaLinn 3 box using one af the amp models
(I don`t remember which one). Then I mixed the two bass tracks down to one final track.
Later I used some AirEQ and Sonnox compression I think. Because Im not a perfect bass player I
used the Celemony Melodyne plugIn a little bit -
a big disappointment really. My advice: DON`T DO IT - it ruined the sound!!! sad

When I mixed I tried to route the drums and bass
to the same bus in the mixer adding some compression with the Sonnox Dynamics - to see
if it glued better together - it did I think.

Piano: Yamaha P-50M piano module with Lexicon MPX-1 effects and AirEQ.

Strings: Native Instruments Kontakt 3 with Yamaha SS-30 samples. I doubled the tracks
- one without effects and one with Lexicon MPX-1 effects. Then mixed down to one final track.
I think the strings was probably some of the best I did on MOTW.

Synths - melody lines etc: Minimoog Voyager and Yamaha AN1x with some additional effects from
the Lexicon MPX-1 I think.

Synth solo: GForce impOSCar - heavily inspired by one of Billy`s sounds from his outstanding
signature set. I also used an old hardware Aphex Exciter (probably not a good thing) and DBX 242 parametric hardware EQ. DubStation software delay from Audio Damage + some AirEQ in the mix I think.

Add synths: Minimoog Voyager - for some bottom
in the chorus.

Guitar: Blade Stratocaster with really shitty old strings shocked through AdrenaLinn 3
amp model (I live in flat - and Vox I think). Doubled the tracks with some additional effects on one of them. Didn`t turn out so great!!! AirEQ - and mixed too low!!!

Vocal: As Helen said smile and FMR Audio RNLA,
(compression), DBX 242 parametric EQ and Lexicon MPX-1 reverb and delay (hardware). AirEQ software in the mix, I think.

My brother then mastered it in his studio
- he used the Sintefex FX8000 Replicator
with a Fairchild compressor and a Neve EQ
I think.

I probably forgot something...

smile

#68518 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:26:00 Re: Covers Competition
Mike_L Offline

Loc: Greenock, Scotland
Jesper, you just reminded me, the guitars were played through a Roland VGA3 amp using the VOX amp model for (This Means) Everything To Me (this was before I bought the VOX AC50 amp). I added reverb and distortion to the preset sound. Fade To Grey just used a generic amp sound with some chorus and reverb. All sounds were made with the amplifier, nothing was added later other than compression on the overall mastering.
smile

#68519 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:21:00 Re: Covers Competition
Paul(EMP) Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Ash Vale
The EMP (Paul Boddy) remixes this year (and last year) were made using Logic Pro 7 on an Apple iBook. Audio was ripped from the original audio CDs then eq'd so as to allow other elements (drums/synths) to be added. Other softsynths that were used included ReFX Vanguard and ImpOscar.

My 2 pennies worth on the rating system: I think it's unnecessary, particularly as it plays no part in the judging process and can give a casual listener a false impression of a track before they hear it.

The only other thing which might be worth changing (sorry Cerise!), would be how the Remix section is described -"Best Re-Mix
Covers with a completely new arrangement and/or sound", would probably be better re-worded as "New version which contains sampled elements from an Ultravox-related track" as this is essentially what a remix is :)This will help differentiate this category from the Covers one.

Really pleased with my runners-up positions this year + will deffo be back next time for another go! Paul [emp]

#68520 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:28:00 Re: Covers Competition
Paul(EMP) Offline

Loc: Ash Vale
Quote:
Originally posted by JesperDK:
[ Because Im not a perfect bass player I
used the Celemony Melodyne plugIn a little bit -
a big disappointment really. My advice: DON`T DO IT - it ruined the sound!!!
Melodyne is fantastic for vocals which are out of pitch and you want to correct them without it sounding too obvious (a la Autotune). Haven't tried it on bass, but as a producer for vocals it's totally essential smile

#68521 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:54:00 Re: Covers Competition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul(EMP):

The only other thing which might be worth changing (sorry Cerise!), would be how the Remix section is described -"Best Re-Mix
Covers with a completely new arrangement and/or sound", would probably be better re-worded as "New version which contains sampled elements from an Ultravox-related track" as this is essentially what a remix is :)This will help differentiate this category from the Covers one.
[emp]
A bit wordy isn't it. Or it could just stay as 'Best Re-Mix', with a full stop and space between the word 'Mix' and the capital C of the first word of the following sentence...

nervouslaugh

#68522 - Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:33:00 Re: Covers Competition
JesperDK Offline

Loc: Denmark
I think you are completely right Paul (EMP)!
To me it also seems that Melodyne works much
better on vocals - there are some outstanding
examples on the Celemony website.
I don`t know if I did something wrong (I don`t think so), but to me it didn`t work very well on bass guitar - it sounded so dull and lifeless.

...the fortcomming update...it`s very very exciting.... smile

smile

#68523 - Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:00:00 Re: Covers Competition
Graeme Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Yorkshire
Wow this one went a bit t**s up didn't it???
I'd like to add my congratulations to all those who entered. I thought the standard was very high personally. Good idea to get rid of the ratings button (Hindsight being a wonderful thing and all) big up to Cerise & Rob for finding the time to run the comp, it exactly the kind of thing that keeps this forum alive and well.

Cheers all

G

#68524 - Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:04:00 Re: Covers Competition
Dominic Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Bali - Indonesia
Hi Everybody,

Cannonball & I joined this year's Covers Competition (with "Why He Why Me", in the "Best Original Submissions" category) mainly to promote our track and album, which was released last November in Indonesia.

Actually I wanted to take advantage of this competition for making you have a glance at Asian musicians in general, as I believe some of them, especially Indonesians, are very talented... and can even be fond of Ultravox music...

Well, I've read all the previous posts in this topic, and I agree with you: This year's competition was very tough, and I therefore can understand that some of the participants (including myself, honestly)felt a bit disappointed as they spent lots of time, energy and (sometimes) money to try being praised by the Ultravox community...

But I believe the most important in that competition is that participants are allowed to share their passion for Ultravox music (which is very tough to imitate or reproduce, like someone mentioned) and their talent as musicians. And I would particularly like to congratulate SMPJ with their "Allt r klart" song, which I like a lot. I'm happy they're among the winners in the "Best Original" category. "Bravo" to all the other participants too...

Next year, I'll try to convince Cannonball to work on a Re-mix of "We Stand Alone" or "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes". I'll keep you posted.

For the time being, please have a glance at my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/video/video.php?v=34552638141), where I've just posted the "Why He Why Me" video-clip, that will come out as Cannonball's third single next month. Once again, I'd be grateful to receive your comments on it.

Cheers for now.

Dominic

#68525 - Wed, 17 Sep 2008 04:23:00 Re: Covers Competition
Rob Mac Offline

Loc: UK
Hi
The Covers Competition is great fun both for participants and just interested parties. I've hung round this website for more years than I can care to remember and always enjoyed listening to the entries to previous competitions.

This year was the first time I've entered so I'm rather chuffed Cerise and Rob enjoyed my track enough to give it a gong.

Hardware involved: Sonar 4, EMU 404 + Emulator X2, Supernova 2 Kbd, Ensoniq SQR, Yamaha MU10, Alesis D4, Yamaha CS6R and a Behringer UB2222FX-Pro desk. The track was recorded straight on to the computer using Sonar 4 as it was also running the sequences, etc. No post production occurred. The track mixes a number of my influences including Ultravox, industrial and even a bit of psy-trance!

Seeing I actually got a gong I guess I better start thinking about firing up the beasts to see if anything comes out!
Cheers

Rob

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2