Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#68462 - Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:28:00 Working on something for 2011
Christopher W Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hello again, everyone! Gosh, it's been a long time since I've posted here, and I feel pretty sheepish about that. Gotta re-immerse myself in one of my favorite online communities!

Just a quick note that I'm working on a cover of John Foxx's "No-One Driving" for the upcoming 2011 competition, and that it is turning out fairly well, I think. A little different tack than I took in the last competition, however (where I tried very, very hard to get Visage's "Moon Over Moscow" to sound just like the original), and I think this one will be better suited toward the "Best Re-Cover" category. I'm hybridizing the arrangement between the two published versions of this track, and while I'm remaining completely faithful to the arrangement, some of the instrumentation is a bit more contemporary sounding (though still sourced from vintage analog synths and drum machines!). So, since this one is turning out to be a very 2011 sounding version of a 1980 recording, it probably won't be appropriate as a strict "verbatim" cover.

The hardest part? The vocals, of course. I've got the monk-like backing pads down, but I'm "fighting the good fight" to get the leads just right. It most assuredly requires the same sort of Foxx-ian angularity!

So who else is gonna get into the competition this year?! Speak up?!

#68463 - Sun, 09 Jan 2011 08:55:00 Re: Working on something for 2011
Box of Sky Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Unit...
Yep, it's been forever since I've posted, too. I'm also working on a track for the covers comp. Really enjoyed doing it last year. Going with "Dream On," from U-Vox. I have the music recorded and am working on vocals. It's turning into a duet with my 7 year old daughter. We'll see how that turns out. Anyway, can't wait to hear all the entries again.

-josh