Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#67829 - Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:32:00 Relations with the rest
Francodamn Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Lima, Peru
He will be a big mystery. Did he contacted with Chris, John, Warren or Billy since 1978? In the famous 1983 interview to Faith Global that is posted in the media archive of Stevie, when the guy questioned something about Ultravox!, being mentioned for first time during the interview, he didn't answered nothing and "sit", and Jason Guy answered instead. I sometimes think around those days he was resentful by the fact he was sacked off for being incompetent by their bandmates (what do you feel in his place?.....ouuuchhhhh!!!).

The worst thing is he wasn't called another time later, while he had different musicians for his Faith Global discs. If there is an Ultravox reunion without Midge or Robin (= with John as vocalist), i sometimes think Gary Numan can be called instead him (yes, a melancholic opinion). The only man wasn't never contacted was Stevie, why? Were there fatal things when he was sacked off?

#67830 - Fri, 26 Jun 2009 06:59:00 Re: Relations with the rest
Duncan Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Co. Monaghan, Ireland
My friend, if I was in a group for such a long time, then blamed for holding them back, by my so called friends, I would maybe too hurt more than anything to talk about it. Maybe he was stabbed in the back? we'll never know

#67831 - Tue, 15 Dec 2009 06:02:00 Re: Relations with the rest
Emulator Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
From what I gather years ago, he was sacked because they wanted someone with a better technical ability/more talent as the stuff they were writing - which became Systems - was greatly different to what they'd done before i.e not punky.
Shears wasn't up to the game and Simon was ahead of the curve...

#67832 - Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:04:00 Re: Relations with the rest
Paul Simon Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: London
I find some of this speculation about Stevies exit from the band and his talents as a musician a little disrespectful. Although I have now lost touch with him we remained friends for many years after he left the Vox and in the 80s we were members of Cowboys International together. Stevie has a unique and original talent as both a guitarist and a writer. Check the live version of Man Who Dies every Day recorded in Huddersfield and released as an EP at the time. I saw the band on many occasions and in my opinion Ultravox were at there best during Stevies latter days as guitarist and when my brother replaced him. I know from many conversations that both Robin and John still rate Stevies contribution to the band as invaluable.

#67833 - Sat, 03 Apr 2010 20:00:00 Re: Relations with the rest
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Paul, thanks for your answer. DiD Stevie mention the reason of his leaving? This still remains a mystery...

#67834 - Tue, 06 Apr 2010 21:11:00 Re: Relations with the rest
Fredrik Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Simon:
Stevie has a unique and original talent as both a guitarist and a writer. I know from many conversations that both Robin and John still rate Stevies contribution to the band as invaluable.
Very glad to hear that. His style is indeed an important part of the early Ultravox! sound. Deserves to be recognized! cool

Here's a topic for discussion: what tracks do you think best represent Stevie's work?
From my point of view: Wide Boys, Young Savage, Frozen Ones, Distant Smile.

#67835 - Sat, 17 Apr 2010 06:30:00 Re: Relations with the rest
Seagull Offline

Loc: Madrid
I agree with Paul. In my opinion Steve´s contribution not only to Ultravox, but also to music (the post punk scene at that time) has not been fully recognised. I love the way he played the guitar in songs like Lovely hunter, The Wild, The Beautiful and The Damned, and, of course, Distant Smile, Young Savage and my beloved The Man Who Dies Everyday. I have read in some Spanish Magazine that Magizine´song Shot by Both Sides was the starting point for PostPunk. I love Magazine and Jonh McGeoch´s job but I do not agree with that opinion. In fact the first postpunk songs where the oneS included in HA HA HA (especially T.M.W.D.EVERYDAY)and Young Savage. If I am not wrong those songs are previous to Magazine's first album. And Steve´s work was essencial. Robin is an excelLent guitarist and his work in SOR was amazing, but Steve was a PIONEER. And this is an objetive fact.steve, God bless you wherever you are now.

#67836 - Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:49:00 Re: Relations with the rest
Black Shadow Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Bahamut Lagoon
Stevie needs more recognition, his guitar riffs still blow my mind. cool

#67837 - Sun, 06 Jun 2010 20:35:00 Re: Relations with the rest
SJICQNW Offline

Loc: North Wales
....agree with a lot of what has been said here, Stevie is as much part of Ultravox folklore as any of the other members past and present. He played on some great songs, and I particularly love one of the album tracks by Faith Global called Knowing The Way. Wish i could get that on CD, my vinyl album languishes at a friends house, cos i haven't had a turntable for many years. Respect to Stevie, hope he is ok these days

#67838 - Sat, 13 Nov 2010 09:46:00 Re: Relations with the rest
Franz Quiet Offline

Loc: New Vienna, Somewhere
The guy who posted it has reason, he was sacked from the band in a process of consolidation of the band. However, i hope Shears could recontact his Ultravox! mates.

Despite this, Warren Cann called him "the worst guitarist I'd ever played with" in recent years ago...the style of Stevie is for me a bit of US country or pre-punk blues (like Clapton or Cocker) combined with the proto punk/glam material, i guess Warren likes a more punk/glam guitar style as Robin Simon or Midge Ure have. But i can hear that bluesy style of Shears in some bands like Big In Japan (Ian Broudie, listen the solo part of the middle of the "Nothing Special" song), the 70s punk band from Liverpool or Echo and The Bunnymen (Will Sergeant, listen the notes before the end of "Going Up"). If you say Stevie influenced guitarists there are not sources from famous (or underrated) people but i guess you listened some songs from other bands and thought "This guy listened Stevie Shears/Ultravox!"