Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Current Ultravox promotional banner, click here for exclusive bundles

Topic Options
#66974 - Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:53:00 Drums and/or drum synth tips
StrangerWithin Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: in exile
I'm finally hoping to fulfil a wish to learn drums...mostly because I want to progress from just playing air drums to Ultravox music!But it will also help me let off steam when stressed as well as being fun. I particularly want to be able to play along with the drum riffs on things like 'The Voice', 'The Song (we go)', 'Cold Cold Heart' etc but also want to drum to 'Hymn', 'One Small Day', 'Vienna', 'All Fall Down' and various others and maybe the odd Queen song too.

I'm going to have a limited budget and very limited space so need to take that into consideration. Obviously, I'm not going to be able to get the kind of drum synth I'd like...ie as the guys played on the Monument tour during 'The Voice' (? Linn drums?) but any recommendations, anyone? I've been into a music shop and no drum synths at all though they recommended a Yamaha D65 (?)...I've looked online at both this and the D55 but if anyone has used one of these it would be useful to have an opinion.

Maybe more importantly I'd like an acoustic drum for when I want quick access to an unplugged sound. Space/price is an issue hence no possibility of a drumkit (unfortunately cos I'd love one)...spent hours scouring ebay but decided to see if any experts on here before going any further. The music shop did have a range of drums but I wasn't allowed to try them out (no doubt for the protection of other customers)and the staff obviously weren't into my kind of music (probably more geared to advice on folk music etc).

Any useful comments will be gratefully received.
Thanks.

#66975 - Sat, 04 Aug 2007 23:07:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
leggylady Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
Jen,
Can I suggest you read these threads..... some advice in here! smile wink

http://www.Ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000069

http://www.Ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000099

Hope this helps? laugh

#66976 - Sun, 05 Aug 2007 03:01:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
MidgeVox Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Chester, UK
Hiya,

I played drums as a kid and was part of a few bands in my youth. I eventually sold my acoustic kit when I joined the RAF many many years ago, but I did get a Yamaha D55 electronic pad kit a few years ago for chrimbo!

You can learn all the basics on this, programme it to your own preferences etc etc and as it has a built in metronome/ click keeper it is very good for learning to keep proper, accurate time.

My advice tho is to build your own drum stand to ensure the right height and comfort levels. I made one out of an old 80cm speaker stand, mdf and some nice woodwork routering!! Used velcro on the foor pedals attached to the stand base and clamps to hold the kit in place.....

(it is also very good for clamping the old steering wheel set up for the pS2 at the right height... sad eh?)

also, often overlooked is the right choice of drumstick, the pair supplied are cheap and nasty. getting the right grip width and weight can make a great difference to how long and comfortably you can play.

Ideally find a second hand one on ebay, save a packet, smash away, but bear in mind that even with headphones on, the tapping sounds of the heads can still annoy others.........

there are plenty of free online drum tutorials on the net too.

If ya get the habit, upgrade after a while.

P.S whilst most people think that drumming is a great stress reliever, it is; but NOT whilst learning. it will drive ya batty, but enjoy it.

P.P.S, ensure you have a good sense of humour, all drummers are the butt of band jokes, no doubt a few will appera here.....................

#66977 - Sun, 05 Aug 2007 03:37:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
StrangerWithin Offline

Thanks to both of you for your tips etc....I must admit I'm inclining towards the Yamaha D55 off ebay....this is only ever going to be for fun and to release the frustrated drummer within and hopefully some stress relief so can't justify too much expense.

When I'm certain what to go for I'll probably get an acoustic drum off ebay too....and that one will be the real stress reliever...to just go let rip when someone/something has wound me up and/or stress needs a physical outlet.

As to noise ...hopefully I can retreat to my study and with the music up loud maybe I'll get away without too many complaints!

My only experience of drumming thus far is from way back having an African drum and a few years ago being loaned a celtic drum. You know when you resort to long thin paintbrushes drumming on anything to hand or air, to 'The Voice' its time to get help! Its somehow sadder than air guitar which I've also indulged in I have to admit. sad smile

#66978 - Sun, 05 Aug 2007 06:59:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
leggylady Offline

Jen,

I know you said space is at a premium, but have you considered a 5 piece kit? It would obviously take up a bit less space than a full set up but have the advantage you being able to play with your whole body. (You can also add to it at a later date if you want to expand. You could add on a wee simmons syn pad, something similar to what Tommy uses.) I used to have a 5 piece but it had to go back to the neighbour upstairs (who had originally given it to me) as it was driving me mum mad!!!! LOL

#66979 - Sun, 05 Aug 2007 07:04:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
caz_dublin Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Fair play to ya Jen! I had dreams when I was a teenager of wanting a drumkit and almost got it - but decided to go for guitar instead! Maybe one day though.... smile wink

#66980 - Sun, 05 Aug 2007 07:33:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
leggylady Offline

Sorry, me again..... something like this?

Drum Kit

#66981 - Mon, 06 Aug 2007 02:43:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
StrangerWithin Offline

Helen ...don't tempt me! Seriously, I only have a wee study/studio with just enough space for my PC desk and art desk ...so even a 5 piece would be impossible to accomodate in it....but it would be great! Its likely that when we move we'll be somewhere even smaller (and unfortunately with nearer neighbours)so can't even put it on the backburner....but you never know ....

I am going to try and get some lessons sometime though just to access playing on a proper drum kit.
I've got a week or two yet to decide what's best ..... thanks again to you and Daren for all the info/advice . I'm definitely exploring the Simmons electronic drums ...just looked on ebay and that looks like what I was after - not Linn at all! Thanks for that...right direction at last I hope...I'll forget the Yamaha if this proves to be a viable option!

#66982 - Mon, 06 Aug 2007 07:57:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
leggylady Offline

aye ye need to get a garden shed!!! LOL
That drumkit went for 16 quid btw.. definately a bargain!

#66983 - Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:05:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
StrangerWithin Offline

Helen,
Unfortunately that link didn't work but 16 !!!!And having researched the Simmons electronic drums find that Simmons no longer around so will have to hope that I can locate what I want secondhand eventually.
In the meantime, insane as it may be a 5 piece drumkit is possibly now on the agenda because my daughter has said she would love one too so it means we'd maybe try to fit one into the living room. Whether it does prove possible/practical remains to be seen!
In fact just worked out the space we'd need and it really isn't feasible there either so we'll have to reach some kind of compromise on what we get at the moment.

#66984 - Wed, 08 Aug 2007 04:58:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
Nige K. Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: East Yorkshire
Check out this baby of a drum pad
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=73400
I believe it's a bit cheaper from some other music shops.
Here's a customer review http://www.em411.com/show/blog/3051/0/Product_Review__Ion_iED04.html
Be careful though, it looks like the type of kit that'll make you wear sunglasses in the middle of the night whilst pretending to be a member of Kraftwerk.

#66985 - Thu, 09 Aug 2007 02:58:00 Re: Drums and/or drum synth tips
leggylady Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nige K.:
looks like the type of kit that'll make you wear sunglasses in the middle of the night whilst pretending to be a member of Kraftwerk.
laugh excited excited excited excited laugh
ROFLMAO! roflmao