Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#636 - Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:36:00 John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Rob Harris Online   content
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Ledbury, UK
John Foxx (Analogue Show) with Gary Numan (DJ Set) and special guests...

Saturday the 5th of June, 2010...

The Roundhouse launched its festival of electronica, Short Circuit, last year with a line-up including Jeff Mills, Erol Alkan, Holger Czukay (Can), Gavin Bryars and The BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

The first acts of Short Circuit 2010 are now announced: an evening celebrating the best of British electronic music, headlined and curated by John Foxx.

Following a DJ set by one of the UK's most influential electronic artists, Gary Numan with co-producer Ade Fenton, John Foxx will perform a unique analogue synthesizer show to mark his thirtieth anniversary as a solo artist. The founder of Britain's first synthesizer rock band Ultravox, released his debut solo album Metamatic in early 1980. This dark electro classic is one of the few albums to be acknowledged by Aphex Twin as an inspiration and is described by the Klaxons as a visionary record.

Foxx and a one-off group of special guests will assemble on stage for the first time with the machines he used on that album - the Moogs, ARPs and drum machines that created the sound of the future - to perform material from Metamatic and a selection of early Ultravox music.

The set will also include brand new material created in collaboration with Paul Daley from Leftfield, along with new songs by John Foxx & The Maths - an all-analogue synthesizer project with London-based artist Benge, whose work has been described by Brian Eno as a brilliant contribution to the archeology of electronic music. Benge's London studio houses one of the biggest collections of analogue synthesizers in the UK and was heavily featured in last Autumn's BBC documentary, Synth Britannia. Gary Numan was filmed at the studio for a recent interview where he discusses the impact that John Foxx had on his own music.

Earlier in the day there will be a series of events programmed by Foxx. These will include movies, DJs, VJs, his own new collaborations with various film-makers and a Super 8 project he's currently working on with London Orbital author, Iain Sinclair.

Further information about this event, including details of some more special guests, will be announced soon...

Date : Saturday the 5th of June, 2010.
Web : http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/
Tickets : http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/john-foxx-4616
Address : Roundhouse, Chalk Farm Road, London NW1 8EH
Telephone : 0844 482 8008

Rob

#637 - Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:15:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
tickets went on sale this morning

#638 - Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:48:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
SJICQNW Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: North Wales
They did indeed David ! I kept revisiting the Roundhouse website, trying each day to order tickets. This morning it finally went through ! Six of us [ so far ] are heading down to London from North Wales, maybe more yet, in our two cars, once the word gets around. Can't wait for this event, it's going to be awesome. An Ultravox UK Tour and now this to look forward to in the coming months ! This is going to be the best year for gigs [ for lil' ole me ] since i saw John Foxx, Depeche Mode, Midge Ure, Gary Numan and David Sylvian all in the same year, way back. Bring it on !

#639 - Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:51:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Anders Offline

Loc: Stockholm Sweden
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=326595351458&ref=nf

#640 - Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:31:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Sean Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: North East England
Hmm...just so happens I have a spot of business in London that week so have extended my dates a little and booked a ticket.

Should be a great event.

#641 - Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:08:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Jojo Offline

Loc: liverpool
I am considering this myself, cool

#642 - Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:18:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
Has anyone received their tickets yet ?
or am I starting to worry too early.

#643 - Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:36:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Sean Offline

My ticket has not yet arrived so I don't think we need to worry just yet smile

#644 - Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:40:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
nightporter Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: folkestone kent
No ticket yet still early. wink

#645 - Fri, 23 Apr 2010 03:30:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Brian Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: 6 "Miles away" from ...
Spoke to Roundhouse ticket office today,they will start sending them out 2 weeks before the gig.

Brian

#646 - Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Sean Offline

The latest newsletter from 'Metamatic' reveals that Robin Simon will be playing at this event too! smile

#647 - Wed, 12 May 2010 17:48:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Sean Offline

My ticket arrived this morning.

#648 - Thu, 13 May 2010 02:53:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Brian Offline

Mine has arrived too cool

#649 - Thu, 13 May 2010 06:52:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Desolate Angel Offline

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
Looking forward to this should be cool!

#650 - Thu, 13 May 2010 17:36:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Dazlin1 Offline

Loc: Essex
Spotted this on the BBC Entertainment pages this morning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8659215.stm

#651 - Thu, 13 May 2010 19:58:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Paul Cook Offline

Loc: Orpington, England.
Rob, any news on the 'Earlier in the day" events, as the Roundhouse ticket shows a time of 7pm onwards?

#652 - Thu, 13 May 2010 20:28:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Rob Harris Online   content

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Cook:
Rob, any news on the 'Earlier in the day" events, as the Roundhouse ticket shows a time of 7pm onwards?
The only 'other' piece of news I have was sent out last night as part of a Metamatic Update...

The Roundhouse : "Moving through old daylight"...

As part of the John Foxx analogue event at The Roundhouse, writer Mark Fisher will chair a panel discussion featuring London Orbital author Iain Sinclair and Jim Jupp & Julian House from the Ghost Box label. This event will explore the intersections between the work of Foxx, Sinclair and Ghost Box. How are places saturated with the traces of past events? How do technologies affect memory, and what role does fiction play in allowing us to map the haunted spaces of the city?

This event, which is due to start at 17:00, has a nominal charge of £2.00 - and there are only 100 tickets available.

Further information, including a schedule of the days events at The Roundhouse, will be announced soon...

Date : Saturday the 5th of June, 2010.
Web : http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/
Tickets : http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/john-foxx-4616
Address : Roundhouse, Chalk Farm Road, London NW1 8EH
Telephone : 0844 482 8008

Please note that The Roundhouse has a theatre licence which enables anyone up to the age sixteen to also attend as long as they are accompanied by an adult.

I'm sorry that I can't be any more specific at the moment...

Rob

#653 - Fri, 14 May 2010 14:26:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Paul Cook Offline

Loc: Orpington, England.
Cheers Rob smile

#654 - Sun, 06 Jun 2010 17:24:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Paul(EMP) Offline

Loc: Ash Vale
Oh dear, what a disappointment!

Little glimpses of magic, but too few and far between last night. Gig didn't start too well with Gary Numan not showing for his allocated DJ slot time....Foxx started well with 3-4 tracks from Metamatic, Plaza, No-One's Driving and He's a Liquid, but Underpass lead sound was totally cocked-up ........ but then it was downhill for 60% of the set with too many new/lesser-known tracks and awful over-reliance on unneccesary vocoder effects on his vocals which ruined most of the songs - you could feel people shuffling uncomfortably with polite applause for many of the songs.

Things picked up when Robin Simon and live drummer came on to run through old Systems of Romance-era Ultravox songs (The Man Who Died Every Day was excellent), but even the last one Just for a Moment was destroyed by vocal being swamped by effects. Had to leave before Numan appeared, wasn't the only one...feel very short changed and expected many more Metamatic tracks frown

#655 - Sun, 06 Jun 2010 20:07:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Brian Offline

I loved last night.

For me there was too much Metamatic.

Could have played some tracks off the Garden and the other albums i thought.

I've seen the whole of Metamatic played live in 2007 and most of it played at other gigs since.

With Robin on guitar I think they should have finished on I cant stay long.

Brian

#656 - Sun, 06 Jun 2010 20:37:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Paul(EMP) Offline

Loc: Ash Vale
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:

You are joking?! If people knew that he would play any less then many would have walked out... the whole selling point of this gig was the use of all the old equipment used on Metamatic, and then to have approx 7 people on stage and only play 4 tracks from the album was a let down and a waste of the fantastic gear available, not just for me but for the people I was with at the gig. With the exception of the weak lead synth sound on Underpass, the Metamatic tracks sounded stunning and every time the guitarist strapped on his bass I was praying to hear something like 030.......The set that he played would have been fine for a small club, but for a venue of the size of The Roundhouse it didn't gel. The middle part after Underpass slumped drastically and only picked up when Mr.Simon strapped on his guitar. Am with you in that I would have loved to hear things like Europe After the Rain, especially as he had a guitarist there, there were highpoints, but for me it was Short Changed rather than Short Circuit festival smile

#657 - Sun, 06 Jun 2010 21:01:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
SJICQNW Offline

Loc: North Wales
I have to at least partially agree with Paul EMP. I had expected the gig to consist of the whole of Metamatic being performed using analog equipment. Then a second set of 5 songs to finish off, with some old Ultravox numbers, joined by Robin Simon. Well the latter part of my prayers were totally met, there WERE five old favourites done, and fantastically well too - totally the highlight of the whole evening. The drummer really made a difference, he was excellent. It was awesome to see Robin Simon again, he stole the show at times. I do feel a bit peeved that quite a lot of Metamatic was not performed in the end. I had hoped for a bit more. I know John has performed them all previously at gigs, but i thought were going to get it again tonight, and with a lot of old synths being used. In the end, they were, but quite a lot of songs weren't done. To me that was a missed opportunity to make a really good gig totally stratospheric instead. I am a bit of a lamer on kit, but i also thought John was using digital gear, not analog, himself, but i am probably wrong. Paul's point about the middle set of the gig is correct IMHO. It did go a bit flat, a lot of stuff played that people see as lesser-known tracks. I think John also just wanted to give Louis some of the thunder too, in allowing his a short duo set with him. One of the new songs with The Maths, however, Destination, was totally brilliant, so, whilst not all of Metamatic was played, it wasn't all disappointment instead ! John sang really well throughout, yes the vocoder was used a lot at times, but that's John and his sound isn't it - i think he used it on the original studio versions of those songs anyway. I found John to be warmer and more engaging than i have ever seen him over the years, he was loving it, and his long speeches at the end were a highlight. Thank you too John. I put some of my slight negativity down to the fact that i had driven for four hours on the day to get to the gig, and then took the train into the city for a few hours, which naturally was heaving. It was a warm afternoon, so i was dying on my feet by the time i got to the queue at the venue ! I wish i had Louis' energy ! It was fun to peel away from the queue to use the Ground Floor toilets, then run slap-bang into John in his blue jeans, wandering around the corridor before heading back to the Theatre where i guess he had earlier done the 100 ticket film event. I was as speechless to see him as i was when i met him 10 years ago - all i could manage was "jesus, it's john foxx!" to which he said "hello!". God i am hopeless ! Anyway, back to the gig, some very promising new material on show that John has done with The Maths, Benge does indeed appear to be a wizard. Thanks to all the guys and gal, i struggled to memorise their names, who played during the night. Overall it was a great performance by John and it ticked most of the boxes - just a tad more Metamatic and less of the other material, and i think it would have been perfect. But no, really really good, well worth a 400 mile round trip in a day, to be with him.
The DJ's who went on earlier were pretty good, nice to hear some unusual one played like Cabaret Voltaire, Fad Gadget, ODW, etc too.
As for Gary Numan, i know he is notorious for starting his own gigs late, but i don't know what happened last night. I preferred to keep quiet, but i overheard other people in the crowd making their feelings plain that he hadn't been there on-time. If John was due on at 9pm and was in the building many hours earlier, and Gary was due on at 8 or 830, why wasn't he there earlier than that ? I overheard one punter venture that Gary may have done it to "try to get top billing, coming on after John". I hope not, i don't think Gary's that kind of guy. To be fair in my own opinion i am sure there was a very good reason he was late, but if i were him i would have, when taking the stage, made a very quick tribute to John, and mentioned why he had been held up. That would have silenced any critics. As has been said earlier on this thread, in the event, the hall had emptied dramatically after John finished, so, it all looked a bit 'after the Lord Mayors Show' for Gary and Ade Fenton, in the end. I myself had to leave once i had clapped them onstage and heard their initial sounds, due to needing to get the tube back to my car and head home on the motorway through torrential rain at times.
Well done anyway, to everyone who performed and DJ'd last night, at The Roundhouse, a lovely venue [ more pictures on the corridor walls please of the turntable in it's heyday ] and well-staffed/stewarded. And thanks once again to John Foxx, who, on balance, i think just wanted to perform a set that covered a wider spectrum of his work, not just Metamatic and Ultravox. Yes, i guess we could have had something off The Garden, or even a bit of Cathedral Oceans with the wonderful imagery on the screen behind him. But time restricts, so he did what he did, and he looked magnificent, happy, sang well, and engaged superbly with his fellow musicians and with the crowd. Thanks John.

#658 - Sun, 06 Jun 2010 21:39:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Brian Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul(EMP):
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
[b]

You are joking?! If people knew that he would play any less then many would have walked out... the whole selling point of this gig was the use of all the old equipment used on Metamatic, and then to have approx 7 people on stage and only play 4 tracks from the album was a let down and a waste of the fantastic gear available, not just for me but for the people I was with at the gig. With the exception of the weak lead synth sound on Underpass, the Metamatic tracks sounded stunning and every time the guitarist strapped on his bass I was praying to hear something like 030.......The set that he played would have been fine for a small club, but for a venue of the size of The Roundhouse it didn't gel. The middle part after Underpass slumped drastically and only picked up when Mr.Simon strapped on his guitar. Am with you in that I would have loved to hear things like Europe After the Rain, especially as he had a guitarist there, there were highpoints, but for me it was Short Changed rather than Short Circuit festival smile [/b]
Point taken about playing stuff to the max on the Analogue gear Paul.

Maybe its from where I was standing & the sound was a bit distorted because of my closeness to the stage but the Metamatic tracks were not jumping out at me as I think they should have apart from Underpass.I await the DVD to hear it properly.

Highlight for me was Robin Simon & the new stuff.

Brian

#659 - Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:49:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Greenman999 Offline

Loc: Derby
I agree with most of the comments here about this very sweaty gig. John made the error of controlling his vocal FX himself via the black box to his right. That's what he was paying his PA guys to do, and it wrecked his vocals, with far too wet an FX sound. Plus he never muted it whilst talking between songs, even whilst introducing the band. For a musician/producer of his experience, that is a strange error to make in what must have been his biggest gig since the early 1980s. I can only hope there was a dry feed to the desk for the DVD recording.

The band played very well indeed, although there were many technical glitches, understandable given that this was a new set for them and they were using very old, notoriously-unreliable equipment. The filmed backdrop for the first part of his set was magnificent. Later it was clearly more a random set of old films, but still added some atmosphere. Yes, the middle section clearly dropped the ball, and if he plays this set elsewhere he'll need to re-jig the running order.

Numan? Where was he? Like many others, I left before he turned up. I never understand the mindset of some people. Would it have been too much to ask for John & Gary to rehearse just one duet? Perhaps Gary could have played guitar and backing vocals on Slow Motion, Gary's fave Vox track. Or the band could have tried Cars, a very simple song to learn. That would have made the gig unique and the DVD something special.

I can't imagine what they'll find to put on the DVD from the three DJ sets - which are, after all, just some bloke on stage playing records. The second DJ, in Numan's place, played some great old tracks and had a sense of humour, which was something. can anybody tell us what Numan actually did when he arrived?

#660 - Tue, 08 Jun 2010 02:01:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
lonely hunter Offline

Loc: Southend on Sea
I thought long and hard about posting about this gig as I really don't like to be negative about anything these days. Nevertheless, this was the first time I'd made the effort to see John and was sorely disappointed.

Things started well with the metamatic material but, as many have pointed out, the vocals were terrible. I know it's John's "style", but when the effects are layered on so thick that you can barely hear the words and everything just distorts into the background you have to ask whether he took this too far.

Most of the new material in the middle section was really quite poor IMHO, just repetetive lyrics over synthesised rhythms and practically no melody for the most part.

Thankfully things picked up dramatically toward the end and, vocal effects aside, the FoxVox tracks were great.

Not sure how things ended as we had to leave part way through "just for a moment" as the gig was overrunning dramatically and we only just made it back in time for the last train home.

I won't be first in the queue for the DVD and will think long and hard before parting with my cash to see John again. cry

LH
smile

#661 - Tue, 08 Jun 2010 18:12:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Solenoid Offline

Loc: Japan
Hmmm, just wondering if I went to the same gig! wink

I find it very interesting that in even what is a relatively "aligned" group of people that we still have quite a large difference of opinions. Refreshing as well.

Here is where I differ from many....
Metamatic songs rocked. I never got to see the Metamatic live set before, and it sounded powerful and true to the originals. I wasn't that close to the front, and had full sound from both speaker stacks - maybe that affected the quality for those near the front?

Layered vocals are his style, and I have to trust the artist to perform as he wishes. I'll agree that it wasn't appropriate during the inbetween bits "This is this is this des is des is ti des na ti tion na ti tion tion....". During the songs I think they were needed to replicate the sound of the originals. I also think he was right to control them himself - his voice is his instrument!!

That second DJ (Mark Jones) didn't exactly set the house on fire, and seemed to be ridiculed most of his set due to a list of errors. I'm not sure that he has actually worked as a DJ and I rather cynically thought that he may have been put on the schedule at the end to clear the hall out! Apologies to him for that, and kudos in some way for being watched by a large group of over forties. ALl the DJ sets would have benefitted from some kind of visual stimulus - watching a DJ is really not fun, and we are all too old to dance!

Funniest moment must be seeing the very elegant Ms Serafina Steer walk onto the stage with a Cameron Dias (a la "Something about Mary) hair flick. What WAS going on behind stage?

I had a fantastic time - maybe because I deliberately kept my mind clear of all preconceptions of what the show would involve? I hope it all happens again next year!!

#662 - Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:19:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Jimmy Messerschmitt Offline

Loc: Herts
I throughly enjoyed the night including the DJ sets as I was with mates and also met the amazing Mr Normall but I have to concur with some comments about the loss of momentum in the middle of John Foxx's set and some of the sound issues.

It was the first time I'd seen him since his debut solo gig at Hitchin Regal in 1983...on that occasion there were no "Metamatic" songs at all so I felt quite honoured to get six from the 'era'!

At least he's doing new material and it's challenging. And for that, he must be given credit.

My review of the evening here at THE ELECTRICITY CLUB:

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/html/foxx_live.html

#663 - Wed, 09 Jun 2010 01:42:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
Brian Offline

I've added more several more John Foxx videos from the weekend Catwalk,Jori DJing,Good Shadow,Plaza,The Running Man,Summerland,Watching a building on Fire

http://www.youtube.com/mateybloke

#664 - Sun, 13 Jun 2010 00:48:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
westham pete Offline

Loc: dagenham / essex
i went to the foxx gig last saturday, he played a good 2 hour set, with the the likes of underpass & burning car, it was a great show, it was a shame gary numan came on late at 11.15pm to do his DJ set, a lot of fans was more concern about getting the last train home really / me aswell folks, but i was there mainly for john foxx anyway ... w. pete:

#665 - Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:23:00 Re: John Foxx live at The Roundhouse : "Short Circuit 2010"...
AMD Offline

Loc: UK
Gosh, I feel dreadful as this is my first time on here for months and I’m only replying to the thread now… only about 2 months after the event! I have to disagree with some of the comments made.
The evenings events: I thought JORI HULKKONEN’s DJ set was rather poor and nothing I could not do with a few cd players, an effects unit and Ableton Live. As for Gary… I don’t really care… it was only a DJ set! Yes, I was one who left and did not stay! They may have been a good reason for him to be late… but very poor showing (only if it was for family reasons). You know get in car.. drive or get to train station and arrive in London for 5pm. Not rocket science Gary! I know the Numan fans were disappointed but to be honest I not sure why there is the need to put so many acts on in one evening.
As for John’s set or is that sets? I really enjoyed them! Maybe not so much the newer stuff. I loved the effected vocals, but there again I enjoy industrial music. I thought the whole set was slightly more industrial then 80’s new romantics. There’s always going to be technical stuff going wrong with so many analogue synths kicking around. They have a tendency to drift out of tune and do things strange things and have a mind of their own. If you want nice in tune songs then stick to digital as did Ultravox in their last tour.
Yes, I agree there could have been a few more songs from other Foxx albums… I would have loved to have heard The Garden which I think is one of his best. The introduction of guitar and real drum added something to the sound. When you listen to Foxx tracks you would be surprised in how much guitar there is kicking around.
If they release a CD/DVD for me I hope they don’t alter the sound too much as it will lose its raw power. I’d rather have something a little rough, with bum notes, out of tune synths then some polished rather digital release.