Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#66208 - Sun, 30 May 2010 17:14:00 Yamaha SK30 Symphonic Ensemble
Broadwave Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Manchester
Well, well, well, long time no see.

Just picked up an SK30 from ebay in very good condition and delightfully cheap (250). This is a huge beast of a machine, but my first thought was... can it "do" SS30 strings.

Yes, by the shovel load smile I never realised that the top end Yammies have two oscillator banks that can be detuned, and that's where the magic happens. It's a unique sound that's instantly recognisable - other string machines, including the Omni and Solina just pale by comparison.

The only problem I have with it, is that it needs a hefty dedicated keyboard stand... it's weighs in at 90lbs eek

#66209 - Mon, 31 May 2010 06:06:00 Re: Yamaha SK30 Symphonic Ensemble
JesperDK Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Denmark
Well well well Andy - biiig congratulation! smile

I got the SK20 myself - and what can I say, it`s
the only hardware poly I got left (besides the
TX7)and it will never ever leave. Why? For the very same reason as you describe - the SKs are just incredible sounding machines! I love the organ section as much as the string and the synth sections - the organ is actually based on Yamaha`s original FM technology, like in the GS series.
I got my SK modified with a CV filter input, so
now I can control the filter with a Moogerfooger CP251 control processor...pretty great!

I wish you many many great hours with your "new"
great keyboard Andy!!! smile

#66210 - Tue, 01 Jun 2010 02:15:00 Re: Yamaha SK30 Symphonic Ensemble
JesperDK Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Denmark