Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#53841 - Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:31:00 Memory Road - London Coliseum
David Wright Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: London
Another one-off Gig, this was arranged very near Christmas, the actual date sadly has passed me by, but it was unique as it was a Fancy Dress concert.

The band all wore fancy dress:

Midge - Scottish Dress with Kilt
Chris Cross - Bikers outfit
Billie Currie - Cannot Remember (Please help me here)
Warren Cann - I think a flight outfit..but again not entrely sure.

As for the audience, we were encouraged to dress up and as with all good Ultravox fans, we duely obliged, As you entered the venue, you could have your photo taken to win best dressed.

The concert itself was fabulous and I can easily say was my favourite concert of the many I saw them play.
A particular highlight was the Royal Ballet Dancer performing to Vienna with a red rose in her hand..It was a magical version of Vienna in a venue that was compact and intimate.

If anyone has any more memories or addition to this fabulous gig, please post them as I'd welcome any other memories.

#53842 - Mon, 23 Mar 2009 06:22:00 Re: Memory Road - London Coliseum
Emulator Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
It was billed as "a Christmas party" and I was tempted to go but think I was skint at the time or something. The ballerina appeared during Vienna on the RIE tour as well. Classy touch.

#53843 - Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:26:00 Re: Memory Road - London Coliseum
Leona Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: UK
Warren was dressed as a Mountie! Hazy memory of Billy dressed as a bear, but don't quote me on that one.....

#53844 - Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:54:00 Re: Memory Road - London Coliseum
Rob Harris Online   content
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by David Wright:
If anyone has any more memories or addition to this fabulous gig, please post them as I'd welcome any other memories.
The ballerina's name was Jenny...

There's a 'review' of that particular show in the Extreme Voice archive - I'll dig it out and post it.

Rob

#100915 - Thu, 19 Oct 2017 22:16:23 Re: Memory Road - London Coliseum [Re: David Wright]
Loudcrier Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Cambs
Life long fan, I can remember this gig and still have the ticket (in the loft). If you did not arrive in fancy dress you would not be admitted. I guess my attire was not conventional as I was permitted. One of the most amazing experiences to see Vienna played by Midge in a kilt, the lights dim and a ballerina perform under a solitary light (as I remember). Also looking around was the different ages of the audience, young kids to grannies.

#100916 - Thu, 19 Oct 2017 22:17:12 Re: Memory Road - London Coliseum [Re: Rob Harris]
Loudcrier Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Cambs
Please do.