Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#535 - Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:00:00 Forthcoming tour speculation?
birdsong Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: southampton
I thought I'd start a new thread as we are beginning to get excited about the tour and drifted into it on the 'beatmag interview' topic

I would personally doubt that TCM will feature because as far as I know that was recorded independently of Louis Gordon.
I know the Ultravox and Metamatic stuff was too, but they have made this their own now.

TCM doesn't really have a live 'gig' feel about it, IMHO.

Maybe this tour is the chance to launch something like "The Drive EP" and actually get a SINGLE out.
Shock, horror - can you imagine such nonsense.... excited

#536 - Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:22:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
Alex S Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
I think some certain new album news has fired up our excitement! Certainly has for me anyway!

As far as a John Foxx concert is concerned, maybe anything could happen.

If TCM isn't played live it would certainly make good pre-gig music or even as an intro before the first song.

I think a couple of tracks could work like, particularly "Kurfurstendamm", or something like "Skyscraper" or "Stray Sinatra Neurone" would help to break the setlist up nicely. Imagine one of the instrumentals played in between a track from Metamatic and another track from say, TPOE. That would be great.

I had personally been avoiding posting any questions or speculations here for fear of any surprise being spoilt. But what the hell - it will still be a surprise!

John has such a vast and varied back catalogue of music to choose from, it must be a difficult decision what tracks to play live – especially since live dates are something of a rarity.

#537 - Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:53:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
Shadow Man Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
I hope they include "THE MAN WHO DIES EVERY DAY" in their set list!

This song was mentioned as one of the tracks for a re work in the past - SO JOHN AND LOUIS : DO IT AGAIN!!!! like you did for other Ultravox classics.

#538 - Thu, 29 Jun 2006 03:50:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
newvox Offline

Loc: ''in a grey suit''
It does seem like TCM would not fit into a gig type show. Maybe just as intro and outro tracks.
I get the feeling John will do a one off show for TCM, like the cathedral oceans live.
It could include films on a backdrop projector.

For the forthcoming tour it would be good IMO if the set list songs were in no yearly order, but a more random selection this time.

Would also be great if John preformed at least some of the songs at the front of the stage like the golden section tour.
Although obviously that would involve needing at least one extra band member.
Im thinking in terms that if it was more visual then the much promised live dvd would be more possible, Promotion wise.

#539 - Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:13:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
Rodney Offline

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
Impossible ... it sounds like a John Foxx & Michael Jackson album title. nervouslaugh

#540 - Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:56:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
Craig Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Peterborough
Is that like the John Foxx/ Lionel Ritchie double header released in the 80s?
Cheers

#541 - Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:15:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
Alex S Offline

I doubt they'll do any of TCM live, but I do think it would be nice, and a little different.

I'm just hoping for plenty of tracks from all his career - particularly from TPOE, C&B, The Garden, and of course, Metamatic.

I would really love to hear tracks from SOR live too (particularly Slow Motion), though personally I'm not so bothered about the earlier stuff.

It would be interesting to hear how they might interprit any tracks (other than Endlessly) from The Golden Section. Ghosts on Water would be a good one.

#542 - Sun, 02 Jul 2006 23:27:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
METAL BEAT Offline

Loc: Watford
It would be great not to have such a predictable set list as in previous tours. I hoping John will surprise us. I'll wait and see.

Only 3 weeks and 1 day until Sheffield ( and counting down) then 3 days to Scala club in London
Peter smile

#543 - Mon, 03 Jul 2006 16:55:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
Alex S Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by METAL BEAT:
Only 3 weeks and 1 day until Sheffield ( and counting down)
FANTASTIC!! I can't wait for this gig. My only regret is I can't make it to any others!!

#544 - Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:39:00 Re: Forthcoming tour speculation?
Herbert the turbot Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Barnsley
Just been on the Sheffield Leadmill site and found a rather strange JF biography. Is this how you'd describe John's career?

"John Foxx has undergone quite a few changes since his days as Ultravox front man and all-round New Wave hero. His solo career, which began in 1979, has shot of in some starltling and beautiful directions, with albums such as ‘Cathedral Oceans’, an opus based around Claude Debussy’s ‘Sunken Cathedral’ . Building serene soundscapes with flawless arrangements from Gregorian chants and symphonic synths, he created inspiring and uplifting pastoral ambience. An influence on the Human League, later Gary Numan and Flock Of Seagulls, Foxx’s famous first solo album ‘Metamatic’ (1980) was described as ‘carcrash music’, conveying the steel-on-steel grind and rise of the cities as the 70s became the 80s."
http://www.leadmill.co.uk/db/live.php?list_id=421

A Flock Of Seagulls?????