Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#5073 - Sun, 03 May 2009 17:01:00 Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Denise Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: W Mids / Staffs
I have to admit to knowing nothing about John Foxx or UV before MU joined them. I would like to get a flavour of UV pre MU or JF albums - what album(s) would you recommend I start with and why? confused

#5074 - Sun, 03 May 2009 17:29:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Brian Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: 6 "Miles away" from ...
Hi Denise,

Foxxvox wise Systems of Romance is the best & last of the 3 FoxxVox albums.

Ha Ha Ha is very punky & an acquired taste but I love it.

Ultravox! is also a good place to start.It is a very mixed album with the proto electro My Sex one of the highlights.

As for John's solo stuff there is so much.

For example Monday sees the release of Mirrorball with Robin Guthrie (of the Cocteau Twins).We've seen 4-5 album release a year from John recently.

For the Most up to date try From Trash (with Louis Gordon) from 2006 & Sideways.

Early stuff you've got to start with Metamatic (from 1980) stark & bleak proto electro.

After that it has to be the garden.Picks up where Systems of Romance ends.

There is a whole official forum over at http://www.metamatic.com

I'm sure this question has been asked before many times before over there.

Also there is Alex Storer's John Foxx fan site:-

http://www.quietcity.co.uk/

Well worth a look with lots of pictures & reviews.

Brian

#5075 - Sun, 03 May 2009 17:45:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Cromlech Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Wales :the lumpy bit on the si...
Hi Denise

The most 'accessible' album for a Midge-UV fan would probably be the last Foxx-fronted album: 'Systems of Romance' (1978).

My guess is that you'll find it a colder sound than the 80's 'Vox but, today, it is generally regarded as a highly-influential album.

The other thing to bear in mind is that, both vocally and lyrically, John is very different from Midge. But, his style is integral to the success of the early 'Vox stuff as well as his solo work.

If you are looking for Foxx solo stuff I'd recommend his first album Metamatic (1981) if you want to hear what a British Kraftwerk may have sounded like or, for a 180 degree turn to lush melodies, his second album 'The Garden' (1981), which is an almost-timeless electro-acoustic 'Summer' album.

Weirdly, for someone trying to get to know solo-Foxx stuff, I normally recommend the live album The Omnidelic Exotour, which covers a lot of Foxx solo stuff, together with some FoxxVox stuff up until about 1997.

John, today, is now highly prolific, working with long-time collaborator Louis Gorden and involving in 'project' albums with peeps such as Steve Janssen (ex Japan), Harold Budd and Rob Guthrie (Cocteau Twins).

And last but not least, don't forget he has several websites that cover various aspects of his work, including the official one run by EV's very own Rob Harris:

www.metamatic.com.

Hope that helps.

viking

#5076 - Sun, 03 May 2009 17:46:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Cromlech Offline

Loc: Wales :the lumpy bit on the si...
Ooops!

Cross posting!

Sorry...

viking

#5077 - Sun, 03 May 2009 18:50:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Brian Offline

No worries Crommy.Denise will get the jist.

Live from a Room is also very good also Glimmer the recent compilation will give you a good flavour.

I forgot to mention the websites:-

http://www.thequietman.co.uk/

And Myspace:-

http://www.myspace.com/foxxmetamatic

http://www.myspace.com/johnfoxxultravox

http://www.myspace.com/johnfoxxglimmer

And Youtube:-

http://www.youtube.com/johnfoxxmetamatic

#5078 - Mon, 04 May 2009 03:36:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Denise Offline

Cheers and thanks for that.....have done some research and listened to samples of the albums...I chose Metamatic over Systems of Romance in the end.

I also plumped for something that doesn't seem to be typical JF (but I don't know). I went for Cathedral Oceans 1-2. I have other similar music in my collection - lots of Buddhist monks and gregorian chants/relaxing music. A world away from UV.
smile

#5079 - Mon, 04 May 2009 11:53:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Glenn Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Canada
I'd say "The Garden" too. Some totally classic songs on that one.

#5080 - Mon, 04 May 2009 15:32:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Brian Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Denise:
Cheers and thanks for that.....have done some research and listened to samples of the albums...I chose [b]Metamatic over Systems of Romance in the end.

I also plumped for something that doesn't seem to be typical JF (but I don't know). I went for Cathedral Oceans 1-2. I have other similar music in my collection - lots of Buddhist monks and gregorian chants/relaxing music. A world away from UV.
smile [/b]
I think you are on your way to being a hardcore jf fan with those choices.My Lost City will also probably interest you if you like the ambient stuff

#5081 - Mon, 04 May 2009 18:51:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Brian Offline

Here are couple of tracks from The Garden on Youtube.

Apologies for my physchadelic videos. laugh

The Garden:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOY558cT1Ug

Systems of Romance:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7e2tsabigs

#5082 - Tue, 05 May 2009 02:57:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Denise Offline

Cheers thanks for that. Great videos and great music!

The Garden might be on my shopping list once I've got my head round the other CDs - assuming I enjoy them of course!
smile

#5083 - Tue, 05 May 2009 04:00:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Brian Offline

I'm sure you will Denise laugh

#5084 - Tue, 05 May 2009 11:50:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Black Shadow Offline

Loc: Bahamut Lagoon
The Garden is probably one of the best epic songs I've heard in a very long time...

#5085 - Tue, 05 May 2009 20:16:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I have to admit to knowing nothing about John Foxx or UV before MU joined them. I would like to get a flavour of UV pre MU or JF albums - what album(s) would you recommend I start with and why? confused
I personally would recommend "Systems Of Romance" or if you want a flavour of all three, the compilation "Three Into One".

Sorry, this post is a bit late!! smile

#5086 - Wed, 06 May 2009 00:50:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
gregorian chants smile
I've got some of that too. Great stuff.

#5087 - Wed, 06 May 2009 04:31:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
RoxyJu Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: South Midlands
Metamatic Will always be my fave album.....
Love many tracks and all his work to be honest... as a young girl, well ten or so I wore out the 7" single of Underpass. Also recommend the Garden.

#5088 - Wed, 06 May 2009 04:47:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've just remembered I've got a John Foxx picture disc album Dominic sent me years ago. Never played it as I wanted to keep it mint.

#5089 - Tue, 12 May 2009 03:29:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
richard65 Offline

Loc: sheffield
Metamatic is a brilliant album, as much as i love the Garden, i'd have to say get Metamatic first, one of the best electro albums ever, still sounds fresh today.

#5090 - Tue, 12 May 2009 03:50:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Denise Offline

Cheers and thanks for the heads up. My CDs arrived Friday (even beat my remastered Quartet which I ordered earlier...and still haven't got frown )
Have been listening to JF all weekend smile

Cathedral Oceans is out of this world...would love to see/hear it in my local cathedral cool

Metamatic brilliant - love Underpass

Tiny Movies - another hit

Thanks

#5091 - Wed, 13 May 2009 01:29:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
richard65 Offline

Loc: sheffield
Glad you like them, and yes, Underpass is a classic, and the whole album gets better the more you play it. Enjoy them all.

#5092 - Fri, 22 May 2009 03:20:00 Re: Suggestions for John Foxx albums
Emulator Offline

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
Three albums really.

Systems Of Romance as it's a truly fantastic album and the best of the three Island albums. It was when all of the elements that made them special came together with the inspired co-production of the late Conny Plank. Stand-out tracks? Slow Motion, I Can't Stay Long and Just For A Moment. Ironically Foxx left because he thought they were on the edge of becoming massive! A stunning album. I listened to it every day for more than eighteen months as a kid!

Metamatic as it's probably Foxx's definitive album and the most influential. He'd decided that he could articulate his art (almost) alone and swerve away from the traditional band format. A couple of its songs were actually co-written with Ultravox and played live on their (self-financed) final US tour. Stand-out tracks? Underpass, No-One Driving, A Blurred Girl.

The Garden as it's such a departure from Metamatic just eighteen months before. By this time he'd been to Italy, fallen in love, "been thawed in a big way" and the songs are truly something else, articulating romance, passion and creativity simultaenously. Robin Simon, who played on Systems Of Romance, returns on several songs including....Systems Of Romance! Stand-out tracks: Europe After The Rain, Walk Away, Systems and the stunningly atmospheric title track (all seven minutes of it).

That do ya?

Ps the first two Foxx Vox albums are somewhat of an acquired taste but there are several gems on both, notably My Sex on the first, The Man Who Dies Everyday and the sublime Hiroshima Mon Amour on Ha! Ha! Ha!