Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 11 12 13
Topic Options
#44588 - Thu, 06 May 2010 18:09:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Dmitry Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Moscow, Russia
DVD has reached Moscow at last yday making it a one full month of delivery from Europe to Europe !!

with so many tips on it in above comments, with which I would or would not agree, there is one thing that stroke me most - in a documentary, Midge says that Hammersmith was fully sold well BEFORE they even started to rehearse !!
what an adventure ! nervouslaugh

sound is alright BTW in both incarnations. Only negative remarks go to cameramen who change from object to object like amateurs, jumping and losing focus. evil

main menu is also weak, exactly how Russian videopirates would do, mixing two strong images ( head + horsesUV) is wrong. sad

#44589 - Thu, 06 May 2010 18:22:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
clanduncan Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Leeds
Maxpunchy;- I'm no expert but if you watch the documentary it's reasonably clear the laptops are using software to control and time some of the different instrument/synth functions, I presume through midi connectivity, unless there is a better modern alternative. Chris Cross the bassist makes a particular point about it during the doc'. Other than that, as a set list?

#44590 - Mon, 10 May 2010 04:52:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Wimek Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
During the concert in Paradiso, Amsterdam, I couldn't see which equipment they are using. However, on the DVD I recognized the software: they use Apple's Mainstage. It's part of Apple's Logic Studio software (which I also use). Mainstage is an application made to perform on stage. I also noticed that Ultravox uses MIDI master keyboards from Novation and CME. This means that they use software synthesizers. The question I can't answer is: which software synths? Good chance they use digital recreations of synths they used in the 80's (OSCar, ARP or PPG Wave...)

#44591 - Mon, 10 May 2010 15:28:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Dex Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Edinburgh
Finally got my DVD of the gig at the Roundhouse on Friday,,no word in any language can describe how fantastic it is! Chris looked as though he was having fun with the new technology in the documentary,but what is noticeable is that Chris,Midge,Billy and Warren looked like they were all enjoying what they were doing and having fun into the bargain,you could see the smiles on their faces.My message to all 4,a huge thanks for putting a massive smile on my face when I saw the playhouse gig,keep this going and I hope to see you in concert again soon!! laugh

#44592 - Mon, 10 May 2010 15:58:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by maxpunchy:

i noticed while watching ultravox on dvd
why do every member have a notebook with songs that they are playing?
is it for back up. or is the notebook controlling their instruments?
see thread at
http://www.Ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000172

#44593 - Tue, 11 May 2010 01:28:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Chris Parker Offline

Loc: Manchester
After waiting over 2 weeks, Sendit sent me an email saying my order had been cancelled. Was not happy, had ordered 2, one for a friends birthday, so I had to find him something else. Anyway today I was mooching at HMV as I do and thought I'd just have a look, and they have it in stock at £17.99. Before buying it, I thought I would double check on Amazon. They also have it in stock at £12.99. So ordered, confirmed and hopefully delivered soon

#44594 - Tue, 11 May 2010 01:54:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Shaun Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Poole UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Parker:
After waiting over 2 weeks, Sendit sent me an email saying my order had been cancelled. Was not happy, had ordered 2, one for a friends birthday, so I had to find him something else. Anyway today I was mooching at HMV as I do and thought I'd just have a look, and they have it in stock at £17.99. Before buying it, I thought I would double check on Amazon. They also have it in stock at £12.99. So ordered, confirmed and hopefully delivered soon
Are you 100% sure it's the 2 disc/dvd edition? I know a lot of people have been stung by HMV.

Double check mate, just incase.

#44595 - Tue, 11 May 2010 02:04:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

Loc: the Heart of the Country
Yes, Amazon have it listed again:-

Return to Eden: Live at the Roundhouse/+DVD [Box set] .
In stock on May 16, 2010.

So I wonder where these have come from all of a sudden?

M smile

#44596 - Tue, 11 May 2010 08:38:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Steve Roby Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Watched the documentary DVD the other day. Did my ears deceive me, or were the boys listening to La Düsseldorf as background music in a couple parts? There's a song on one of their albums that sounds like a precursor to "Astradyne," and Klaus Dinger mentioned Ultravox as one of the bands obviously influenced by La Düsseldorf....

#44597 - Tue, 11 May 2010 15:10:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Jouni Salo Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
Watched the documentary DVD the other day. Did my ears deceive me, or were the boys listening to La Düsseldorf as background music in a couple parts? There's a song on one of their albums that sounds like a precursor to "Astradyne," and Klaus Dinger mentioned Ultravox as one of the bands obviously influenced by La Düsseldorf....
There is an obvious connection through Conny Plank who produced Systems of Romance, Vienna and Rage In Eden. Conny Plank also produced La Düsseldorf's first album that has the self titled tracks that is very similar to Astradyne.

I seem to recall an interview with Ultravox where they said they liked the music that was happening in Germany at the time. On Billy's new web site you can look at photos taken at Conny Plank's place while they were recording Rage In Eden. Holger Czukay is in one of the photos.

Another obvious influence can be heard when you listen to 'Sonnenrad' by Michael Rother.

#44598 - Thu, 13 May 2010 04:46:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
foxhusky Offline

Loc: Deventer, The Netherlands
I ordered my copy of the Roundhouse 2CD+DVD at Townsend on 31 march 2010, that's now 6 weeks ago. But I am still waiting... And today I got a newsletter from Townsend about a 're-print' of the album and art-print. They say 'get it while you can'. But I already ordered and pay my copy 6 weeks ago. So I am very disappointed with Townsend, I will never place another order with them.

On 10 april 2010 I send them an e-mail, there were some problems with my bank transfer. That problem was cleared, but I got no reply from Townsend... Well, I send them another e-mail today, hoping they will reply this time and send me the CD+DVD.

#44599 - Thu, 13 May 2010 23:49:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
foxhusky Offline

Update: Townsend replied this morning. Problem was my bank did not transfer the complete amount of money. It is very expensive to transfer from euros to UK Pounds Sterling. So I solved the problem very simple now: just sending the money cash in an envelop. So... my copy of Return to Eden (and the new John Foxx CD/DVD Metatronic) is coming soon (I hope :rolleyes: )

#44600 - Fri, 14 May 2010 04:24:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Cerise Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by mandy:
Yes, Amazon have it listed again:-

[b]Return to Eden: Live at the Roundhouse/+DVD [Box set]

M smile [/b]
Please see this thread here for an explanation. smile

#44601 - Fri, 14 May 2010 05:01:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Ambidexter Offline

Loc: London
Quote:
Originally posted by Jouni Salo:
There is an obvious connection through Conny Plank who produced Systems of Romance, Vienna and Rage In Eden. Conny Plank also produced La Düsseldorf's first album that has the self titled tracks that is very similar to Astradyne.

I seem to recall an interview with Ultravox where they said they liked the music that was happening in Germany at the time. On Billy's new web site you can look at photos taken at Conny Plank's place while they were recording Rage In Eden. Holger Czukay is in one of the photos.

Another obvious influence can be heard when you listen to 'Sonnenrad' by Michael Rother.
Many years ago (circa 1984) Midge appeared on the Janice Long show on Radio 1 and played music by artists that had particularly influenced him and Ultravox. He chose Kraftwerk, Neu! and La Düsseldorf. I knew of Kraftwerk but had never heard of the other two. I loved both, bought some albums, and a whole new musical world was opened to me. I think Neu! are one of the great lost bands of all time.
I still have the interview somewhere on cassette, along with several others with the Midge and co. from that era. If they still play, I hope to digitise them one day and upload for others to enjoy.

#44602 - Fri, 14 May 2010 10:40:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Steve Roby Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
That tape sounds pretty interesting.

I think I first heard about Neu! in the late '80s or early '90s, when they started getting name-dropped by Sonic Youth (Ciccone Youth's "Two Cool Rock Chicks Listening to Neu") and being mentioned in Stereolab reviews. Then a local record store got the late '90s bootleg CDs of the three main Neu! albums, which weren't available legally anywhere for a long time. I bought those and was blown away -- not least by how much my favourite Stereolab song owed to "Hallogallo." A friend heard them and was amazed that they were from the early '70s. Since then I've bought some solo Rother, Harmonia, La Dusseldorf, etc albums. Lots of great stuff there. Time to listen to some of them again soon, I think...

#44603 - Fri, 14 May 2010 15:31:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerise:
Quote:
Originally posted by mandy:
[b] Yes, Amazon have it listed again:-

[b]Return to Eden: Live at the Roundhouse/+DVD [Box set] .

M smile [/b]
Please see this thread here for an explanation. smile [/b]
Thanks Cerise!!!

My magpie instincts have come rushing to the surface and another copy has been obtained bemused

M smile

#44604 - Tue, 01 Jun 2010 05:36:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
foxhusky Offline

Finally, today the Roundhouse 2CD+DVD with A4 art-print arrived after exactly two months waiting. I ordered the package on March 31 at Townsend Records. There were some problems with the payment (it's not easy and expensive to pay Pounds when you live an Euro country), but that was finally solved.

All I have to do now is to frame the A4 art print and enjoy the DVD and CD's. smile

#44605 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:11:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

I received an e-mail from Townsend today:-

Ultravox
Return To Eden (Live At The Roundhouse) [Includes Exclusive A4 Print]
DVD £13.99

July 5, 2010

Ultravox return with their first live DVD and Townsend Records return with a new exclusive print. The print features the artwork cover and 4 images of the band. This is simply a must for all Ultravox fans

http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/artist.php?artist=Ultravox

Am I missing something or is this just the DVD of the Roundhouse gig (no CD) with a different print?

M smile

#44606 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 01:37:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Gillian Offline

Loc: East of Eden but Returning
Well that's how I read it Mandy. I too don't understand it (for a start this "limited edition" ethos is looking a bit ropey by now IMO) and in any case I'm not a cash machine....

#44607 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 04:24:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
Why not leave the "limited edition" cough cough ...... as it was and perhaps use the new print with the band images (although they dont look that spectacular) for the new EP?????? (the one we think might come out.)
banghead

#44608 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 04:25:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Are townshend records taking the piss by the way? The limited edition print has now turned into a poor mans imitation print now the 'new improved' one is available. FFS!!!

#44609 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 04:58:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
H Offline

Loc: In a Darkroom somewhere in the...
These guys are really extracting the urine!!

#44610 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:23:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yip I read the email too
Well I thought it was a Limited Edition release but after reading the recent email from Townsend its made me think otherwise.
We ain't cash mashines still recovering from a recession and some of us are looking for work. If you think I'm going to buy it again just because the art work has changed your wrong. Your on cloud nine.

I would like to meet the person or persons who make these marketing decisions.
This CD/DVD should have been Limited as you could have put out a physical DVD release of the Roundhouse.

So concentrate more on the music side of the business and less of the mickey mouse gimmicks.

#44611 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:34:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Solenoid Offline

Loc: Japan
I must admit I ignored the email flyer when it came through as I have the DVD+CD. I would only care if it was a limited edition if I didn't actually have it!!
When I clicked the link and read the Townsend web, they aren't claiming this DVD to be limited (the previous set of DVD+CD was limited). This DVD only product is on sale for 13.99.
There is also a number of the DVD+CD sets available at 17.99 (these are the left overs from the re-press I guess), and there is a CD only version, at 11.99. Three products, and I'm guessing aimed at 3 different groups. Fans would love to have the DVD+CD set, but some may just want the CD or DVD. The price of the last two would indicate they could make some money from those sales, but as there are still DVD+CD sets available, I doubt if many will buy them, right?
Certainly, no one is forcing anyone to buy them.

#44612 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:45:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Marketing is a bit like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Here we are children, come and get your lollipops... ice-cream, CD, CD/DVD, DVD... all with an exclusive A4 print

#44613 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:58:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Solenoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by syncopation:
The Marketing is a bit like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Here we are children, come and get your lollipops... ice-cream, CD, CD/DVD, DVD... all with an exclusive A4 print
OMG - How could I have forgotten that film? smile

Marketing does "interesting" things in order to sell merchandise, luckily though, the target audience are sensible adults!

#44614 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:49:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Unfortunately, this kind of 'marketing' fails to hold the attention of it's target audience for long. Its all whitewash. I am now starting to question what is a limited edition when I see those words mentioned in connection with any merch. I recall when most people rushed out to buy the CD/DVD with the "limited" run of artwork "limited" to 500 copies. There were then additional copies of that artwork printed. Notice a pattern here? And now its changed!

On the subject of the DVD itself - and I'm gonna come across as a real moaner here, so sorry if you don't agree with me - I wasn't overly impressed with some of the edit. I find the sequence of distance shots quite repetitive - but that's not my big issue.

I have a real gripe with the Thin Wall edit - it could have been so much better - I know that because I saw a stunning edit on YouTube - it was stamped up as "Warrior Vision" - given its an audience cam its quite good. An excellent zoom in on Billy's fingers during the violin solo (why oh why would you not focus on that on any solo???) - well the DVD edit didn't - instead, mostly, we get the headstock of the violin???? I found this hugely irritating! The best friggin violin solo!!!!!!! I would LOVE to talk to the person who shot that and ask why they think that's a good edit.

Also........... right at the end of the song you will note the shot 'behind' Midge as he raises his hand. Now the shot is from the front on the YouTube vid, its excellent and captures the 'final' moment so much better - his face and the full force of his arm as he strikes the guitar for the last time. Sometimes I wonder how people actually get jobs.........

Given all that - I am happy it does exist and that I have it! smile

#44615 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:22:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Solenoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Desolate Angel:
Unfortunately, this kind of 'marketing' fails to hold the attention of it's target audience for long. Its all whitewash. I am now starting to question what is a limited edition when I see those words mentioned in connection with any merch. I recall when most people rushed out to buy the CD/DVD with the "limited" run of artwork "limited" to 500 copies. There were then additional copies of that artwork printed. Notice a pattern here? And now its changed!

On the subject of the DVD itself - and I'm gonna come across as a real moaner here, so sorry if you don't agree with me - I wasn't overly impressed with some of the edit. I find the sequence of distance shots quite repetitive - but that's not my big issue.

I have a real gripe with the Thin Wall edit - it could have been so much better - I know that because I saw a stunning edit on YouTube - it was stamped up as "Warrior Vision" - given its an audience cam its quite good. An excellent zoom in on Billy's fingers during the violin solo (why oh why would you not focus on that on any solo???) - well the DVD edit didn't - instead, mostly, we get the headstock of the violin???? I found this hugely irritating! The best friggin violin solo!!!!!!! I would LOVE to talk to the person who shot that and ask why they think that's a good edit.

Also........... right at the end of the song you will note the shot 'behind' Midge as he raises his hand. Now the shot is from the front on the YouTube vid, its excellent and captures the 'final' moment so much better - his face and the full force of his arm as he strikes the guitar for the last time. Sometimes I wonder how people actually get jobs.........

Given all that - I am happy it does exist and that I have it! smile
Your passion is undeniable! So intense.
For me though, the ONLY relevance of a "Limited Edition" is whether I have it or not. I have the DVD and CD so I am unquestionably happy! Indeed, I seem to have saved 10-15 pounds on the deal compared to buying separately and received a decent print in the bargain. If other people have a chance to get the same item, I'm more than delighted. I didn't buy to speculate that the value would rise - it won't. I didn't buy because it was limited, I bought because I wanted it.

As for the quality? I'm happy with it as it is. I know there are are people out there who managed to get incredible shots of the shows (more than one person, and I am also in awe of their efforts), but DVD production is a difficult thing, and I believe the DVD is good value for money. Note that I didn't say perfect, but I don't recall any perfect DVD of a live show to date, especially of one that I have seen personally.

I hope I don't appear to be attacking anyone here - far from it - but I do believe that we have had a decent shot as fans at getting stuff early and with reasonable value. I certainly fall in to the "content" category for now and was so encouraged by your own comments (Ms Desolate Angel) that you were also happy to own it! It really does rock!!!

#44616 - Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:11:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Gillian Offline

Loc: East of Eden but Returning
I've got some lovely footage of TTW at The Roundhouse - I was in the tier on the side of Chris (for a change, usually on Billy's side) and he's doing a very nice little soft shoe shuffle during it.... laugh

#44617 - Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:18:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

The track listing for the 'New' DVD is now on Play.com.

It appears to be the full 18 track set list. At the end of the track list it has the following:-

19. Building Eden Reformation Documentary
The Voice
Non Music Work
Astradyne
Visions In Blue
Vienna

So we know that 19 is the documentary but does anyone know what the rest of it is?

More to the point should we be putting a pre-order in as it's previously unreleased stuff??

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/15572477/Ultravox-Return-To-Eden-Live-At-The-Roundhouse/Product.html

M smile

#44618 - Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:11:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
davox Offline

Loc: Germany
I think the tracks are from the rehearsals before the RTEI tour, including "non music work" (organizing the tour etc.) So to say an extended "building eden" documentary.

#44619 - Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:15:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

So worth having then? Good job I've put the pre-order in - better safe than sorry! (on Amazon - it's cheaper)

M smile

#44620 - Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:25:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
davox Offline

Loc: Germany
I hope so, because it was just a speculation what it could be! But I think I will go for it too! smile

#44621 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:05:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

I'm just wondering if this is worth checking out before buying - more info required.

The track listing at the end could refer to the fact that during the documentary they did play snippets of Visions in Blue, Astradyne, The Voice and Vienna when they were showing various snippets of the rehearsals and preparations and experimentation with sounds - I'm just wondering if it is these cuts that the list refers to.....

#44622 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:22:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

Hope not Jus, blimey, that would be a bit of a cynical marketing ploy if ever there was one confused

M smile

#44623 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:56:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Must be a type error on play.com
It's just the same DVD content. Checked other sites
The only difference its PAL and Region 2

#44624 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:11:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Cerise Offline

The DVD has been released due to popular demand, and Townsend have done a new free print to give it a bit of extra value.

Of the three products, the only one I can't understand is the 'Highlights' disc - why on earth anyone would buy it, I don't know. IMO, they should have released the full gig as an audio 2CD set only, the DVD only and a 2CD+DVD limited edition pack. But that's just me! smile

As far as we're aware, it's exactly the same content and still Region 0 / NTSC - but we have asked EMI to clarify both points and will post here as soon as we have an answer.

#44625 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:36:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Of the three products, the only one I can't understand is the 'Highlights' disc - why on earth anyone would buy it, I don't know. IMO, they should have released the full gig as an audio 2CD set only, the DVD only and a 2CD+DVD limited edition pack. But that's just me! smile

I think we all agree on that one, I did purchase the highlights CD only to complete the discography.

#44626 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:49:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

Quote:
but we have asked EMI to clarify both points and will post here as soon as we have an answer.
Nice one, Cerise - thank you

M smile

#44627 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:35:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
1.Outside Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Quote:
Of the three products, the only one I can't understand is the 'Highlights' disc
Would it be so that the record company can switch to a cheap (for them and for the punters), single CD at some point in the future without going through the hassle of having to edit it all over again?

#44628 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:27:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.Outside:
Would it be so that the record company can switch to a cheap (for them and for the punters), single CD at some point in the future without going through the hassle of having to edit it all over again?
Not necessarily, no. It's something that bands can often do and gives people a degree of choice on what they can buy. Admittedly, for diehards it's inconceivable they wouldn't want to purchase anything but the full show, but some people (casuals we'll call them for the sake of this conversation) may only want something to remind them of the concert without having to sit through and listen to stuff they either don't know or would just skip over if included. Given the discussions we all had recently on what songs we would each individually have left out or can't get on with in the UV catalogue, it's understandable why a stand alone highlights disc may tempt casuals to buy rather than the full show.

It's also not something that's limited to the RTE release. The (relatively) recent shows that I know of released by the Rolling Stones and The Police have had similar multiple release formats of what is essentially the same product.

Hope this adds to the conversation.

Regards,

Paul

#44629 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:09:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Cerise Offline

Good point, Paul. smile

OK, here's the reply from EMI:

1.) The content on the latest DVD release is exactly the same as what is featured on the DVD from the 2CD/DVD release

2.) Like the DVD which featured in the 2CD/DVD album, this DVD is NTSC Region 0 (I've requested this be changed on Amazon-thank you for flagging)

3.) We've requested for the tracklist to be edited on Play and Amazon. These should be amended ASAP

So that confirms it - the DVD content and format are exactly the same as in the 2CD+DVD set, just released in a DVD-only format for those who didn't manage to get the set, or prefer to buy at a cheaper price, etc etc.

I'll be buying one, because my CDs are stored in the loft once ripped, so I like my DVDs in a DVD box that I can put on the shelf with the others. I'm happy! wink

#44630 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:15:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

Thanks for the info Cerise.

(Back to watching the footy now!)

M smile

#44631 - Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:35:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
nightporter Offline

Loc: folkestone kent
thanks for that cersie think i will buy this as well. wink