Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13 >
Topic Options
#44288 - Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:36:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
david L. Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by mandy:
Amazon now has artwork.
and the Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 284 in Music ....getting higher.

It also says:-
Frequently Bought Together
Customers buy this with Seven and the Ragged Tiger: +DVD ~ Duran Duran

eek who did this?!?
The new 2CD + DVD re-issues of both "7 and the ragged tiger" and "Duran Duran" due at the end of March both look well worth a purchase.

#44289 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 00:37:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
JVox Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Sweden
I'm definitely buying them. Already ordered the 2CD+DVD edition of first album Duran Duran. It's a true classic and with the addition of early demos/liverecordings/footage to look forward to it will surely be worth a purchase! :p

#44290 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 00:44:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
KevinTipps Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: northumberland
I've just ordered the Duran Duran album, HMV is teh cheapest for the duran albums but still no show of trhe return to eden cd as yet.

#44291 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:27:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
robak Offline

Loc: Herts
Not that I'm aware of - it seems the only thing that was shot was what you saw on Design Matters, and that was only from some odd side of stage angles, I seem to recall, with non-mixing desk feed sound.

For one of the most audio/visual able bands a distinct black mark until now smile

Rob

#44292 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:56:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Eden-Live-Roundhouse-Special/dp/B003CA9H90/ref=mb_oe_o

The audio previews are up on amazon and it sounds great cool

#44293 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:38:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Ian MacQueen Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Truro,Cornwall
just heard the previews on Amazon....my word,it sounds bloody brilliant!!! Still have goosebumps from The Thin Wall snippet roflmao

#44294 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:53:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: the Heart of the Country
Quote:
Originally posted by syncopation:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Eden-Live-Roundhouse-Special/dp/B003CA9H90/ref=mb_oe_o

OH MY GOD!!!! ABSOLUTELY!!!!!
excited Now I really can't wait to get my hands on it, sounds well worth the wait folks woohoo

#44295 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:02:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
StrangerWithin Offline

Loc: in exile
Quote:

Sounds every bit as excellent as I expected it to...

#44296 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:14:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Staci Offline

Loc: Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
OMG!!! Is my copy in yet? Is It? Huh, huh, huh? Is it? Oh, God, need more meds...YIPEEE!!!
biglaugh

#44297 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:28:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Gillian Offline

Loc: East of Eden but Returning
Quote:
Originally posted by Staci:
OMG!!! Is my copy in yet? Is It? Huh, huh, huh? Is it? Oh, God, need more meds...YIPEEE!!!
biglaugh
Darkened room for Miss Staci!

#44298 - Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:17:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
MidgeVox Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
Ashes of memories....... smile

Brings it all back, a smile or two too!! :p

#44299 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 04:46:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Firefly Offline

Loc: Cambridge, United Kingdom
OK, now I am really miffed... that is plain teasing!! I want my copy right now. if you agree that all forum members should be honoured for their passion and support by getting their copy early, raise your arms up...
mexican

agree with others, this does sound rather good!

#44300 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 05:30:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
JesperDK Offline

Loc: Denmark
WOW!!! Yeah, the previews really do sound
BRILLIANT!!! cool

#44301 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 05:35:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
Its AMAZING!!!!!!! oh god...

#44302 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 05:43:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Just thought - rather than wait for my postman - the mp3's shoudl be available to download at midnight on 5th? Dont think I'll be able to wait! Might purchase an mp3 version also if there is one!!! Yippeeeee!!!

#44303 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:22:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Oesterreicher II Offline

Loc: Buxham St. Deirdre
Okay, dudes, here's the wee tiny turd on the great big snowy Christmas cake. I've just had a thrilling listen to the snippets on the Amazonian web-site. Quite nice, really quite nice indeed (and I was there) but . . .

I may be mis-speaking but why does Midge's voice have so much treatment on it on all of the songs? You know, I heard him over Christmas on some talking and singing programme for young people who stay up late, broadcast on the television device, and he was singing and playing without plugs and his voice was still so good and so distinctive and so very strong; so, why the need for so much augmentation here when it really isn't needed?

I believe it was Ms. Toyah who sang, "Be proud, be loud, be heard" so, go on Midge: go bareback for a few songs and let that voice do the talking!

You may now throw your stones. Sedimentary only, mind, nothing igneous, they're too brutal.

#44304 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:55:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Oesterreicher II:
Okay, dudes, here's the wee tiny turd on the great big snowy Christmas cake. I've just had a thrilling listen to the snippets on the Amazonian web-site. Quite nice, really quite nice indeed (and I was there) but . . .

I may be mis-speaking but why does Midge's voice have so much treatment on it on all of the songs? You know, I heard him over Christmas on some talking and singing programme for young people who stay up late, broadcast on the television device, and he was singing and playing without plugs and his voice was still so good and so distinctive and so very strong; so, why the need for so much augmentation here when it really isn't needed?

I believe it was Ms. Toyah who sang, "Be proud, be loud, be heard" so, go on Midge: go bareback for a few songs and let that voice do the talking!

You may now throw your stones. Sedimentary only, mind, nothing igneous, they're too brutal.
It’s a very good point.
But its pretty standard particularly if the record company is involved that the product has to be polished up and also the fact that it’s also a DVD release that there will be some slight treatment which will give a better listening and viewing experience.

Not as bad as artists from the past who have used vast amounts of overdubs on live albums.

Good example Thin Lizzy – Live and Dangerous
Quote from Wikipedia
Lynott asked if they could re-record some vocals due to technical issues. After spending some time overdubbing various bits, noticing the impact on the result, they ended up re-recording all the vocals, guitars and bass. So the only real live elements of Live and Dangerous are the drums and the audience. Visconti (Producer) justified this by stating that every track was performed before a live audience. Tony Visconti has stated that the album is "75percent recorded in the studio."

#44305 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:47:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
davox Offline

Loc: Germany
Ok, I know what you mean when you speak about overdubbing etc. and I´m not a friend of that kind of treatment of a live recording, but: It´s always a difference between the live sound hearing through the speakers at the show or hearing just the recording without the accoustic influences of the speakers, the venue itself etc. I hope you understand what I mean. Don´t get me wrong, this is just a try to find out why the recording could be different to that what you heard at the concert. But you could be right, and the treatment was too heavy! sad

#44306 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:51:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
KevinTipps Offline

hmv are now carrying the special edition for £12.99 without the print. so is the card rage in eden piccy worth the £3.50 more?

#44307 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:12:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Dmitry Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
What was the reason behind splitting 18track audio into two discs ??? Only financial ???? confused confused confused

#44308 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:21:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Dmitry Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
it is in Top 10 by MusicNonStop

#44309 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:28:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Boxnudger Offline

Loc: Manchester
Quote:
Originally posted by Dmitry:
What was the reason behind splitting 18track audio into two discs ??? Only financial ???? confused confused confused
Because they won't all fit on one disc I presume - I recall the gigs being more than 80 minutes long so the only way to fit it onto one disc would be to edit down some of the tracks.

#44310 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:35:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Oesterreicher II:

See you point most definitely and yes - even after listening to the snippets it is obvious it's been 'touched.'

I would have expected some manipulation of parts that were perhaps not quite so clear at the time - I personally felt the bass needed bringing out on some of the tracks - )going off youtubes - not too reliable I know! ) i.e. just a basic mix of the audio tracks really - that's happened from what I can hear. I agree with your points re Midge's vocal - it does not need too much enhancement - on these small snippets it sounds quite affected. I noticed a similar vocal effect on the remaster live version of Thin Wall (can't remember which album it appears on - is this on Monument remaster?).

Having said that, as already pointed out - esp. with a record company involved its quite common to dress it all up a little these days - while it needs to capture the live feel, it also needs to be current, and the listening experience needs to work on more generic audio systems at home - and production tools are there to be used.

Also I think the vocal was slightly affected at source - I think he must have had quite a bit of reverb/echo as I noticed during a point in Visions in Blue where he walked away from the mic and his voice was still carrying. I wonder how they recorded such signals though - i.e. did they somehow bypass any such effect and then maybe add it later - the result of which we may be hearing now on the samples?

I quite liked some of the raw 70's live recordings from various bands of the era - even studio recordings could be raw - I have a studio recording from an old obscure band called May Blitz - a rock three piece - and you can hear the wah pedal click on after the guitar solo when everything calms down - I think it’s a great, very revealing - a sense of intimacy about it - but today it would probably be mixed out and dressed up a little hence losing some personality.

Hard to comment right now without hearing the whole thing run though - but perhaps such enhancement is slight overkill - I'd like to hear more natural dynamic - but lets hear the whole thing in its entirety…..it may be overall there is a good mix of a raw live feel with some additional spit and polish - the crowd noise isn't particularly evident on the snippets but should be audible on the full version and as such give it a better live ambience to contrast with any polish.

It's friggin good though huh? !!! laugh Well looking foward to hearing it - so excited - infact I've already been asked twice today if I've taken something! lol roflmao

#44311 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:42:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinTipps:
hmv are now carrying the special edition for £12.99 without the print. so is the card rage in eden piccy worth the £3.50 more?
Thats up to you to decide Kevin. Do YOU wanna part with £3.50 cash for it? I personally feel its a nice keep sake to add to a fantastic memory - so yes, but i can only speak for myself smile

#44312 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:44:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Cerise Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Quote:
As Boxnudger says, the whole concert is longer than 80 minutes and so would not fit into one disc. And incidentally - if the second disc was unnecessary as you seem to suggest, why would adding it be a financial decision? It costs more to have two discs than one! confused2

#44313 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:47:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Quote:
I doubt the tracks would fit on one disk.

Re financial gain, and I dont mean this directed at your post by the way - just in general - I do wish people wouldnt get at musicians if they DO dare to seek financial gain - what should we expect - its their job!! Its how they earn a living!!! If they have a talent like that - and people want to pay to hear that then yes they should seek financial gain - it would be foolish not to cash in. They have provided a product - you buy the product - thats how it works. I know i wouldnt be coming to work if there was no financial gain!! smile

#44314 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:01:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Amazon now has artwork.

eek who did this?!?
Me...

smile

woohoo

#44315 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:17:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
1.Outside Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Quote:
Originally posted by Cerise:
Quote:
[b] What was the reason behind splitting 18track audio into two discs ??? Only financial ???? confused confused confused
As Boxnudger says, the whole concert is longer than 80 minutes and so would not fit into one disc. And incidentally - if the second disc was unnecessary as you seem to suggest, why would adding it be a financial decision? It costs more to have two discs than one! confused2 [/b]
I think he means that having two discs puts the price up. However, I'm not sure that it does looking at the pricing.

For a live show, splitting across two discs is perfectly acceptable. The worst case of this being done for reasons of pure profit was the Beatles 'red' and 'blue' CDs. Certainly the 'red' album could have easily fitted onto one CD but it was spread across two, presumably to replicate the vinyl album. The effect was, however, that they were able to charge much more for it.

#44316 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:39:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hitchcock:
Quote:
[b] Amazon now has artwork.

eek who did this?!?
Me...

smile

woohoo [/b]
I now have to say..... so have I, the pre-order is in :rolleyes: (we need a graemlin for sheepish!)

#44317 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:53:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
poptyg Offline

Loc: D-97782 Graefendorf/Gemany
ordered my copy today at townsend smile smile smile

#44318 - Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:53:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
davox Offline

Loc: Germany
On Amazon.uk the "Roundhouse" CD/DVD is on No.8 of the live-albums! smile

#44319 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:14:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Cerise Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.Outside:
I think he means that having two discs puts the price up. However, I'm not sure that it does looking at the pricing.
Ohh, gotcha. Well considering you get a DVD too, I think £14.99 is more than worth it. smile

#44320 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 01:01:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Lacrymosa Offline

Loc: Altrincham
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 1.Outside:
[b]I think he means that having two discs puts the price up. However, I'm not sure that it does looking at the pricing.
Ohh, gotcha. Well considering you get a DVD too, I think £14.99 is more than worth it. smile [/b]
The first band i ever came across that was doing the 2CDs/1DVD was a band called Nightwish and their 'End Of An Era' DVD/CDs... that retails for £19.99 New and has the same content as the upcoming Ultravox one so i agree this is really good deal, i actually had to look twice to make sure i read it right smile

#44321 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 01:28:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's not forget but officially its a new album from the boys in 24 years. So I think everyone is getting a good deal cool

#44322 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 01:45:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
robak Offline

Loc: Herts
"Let's not forget but officially its a new album from the boys in 24 years. So I think everyone is getting a good deal"

Absolutely!

And it also seems to me to be the ultimate compliment from EMI, in that they feel a new Ultravox live album is worthy of being released across two formats. How many other recent band revivals have been given that treatment?

Win win, as far as I'm concerned, particularly when you see what HMV are knocking both of them out for now, which is why I ordered the special from Townsend, and then held back to order one of each from HMV too, so no eggs all in one basket smile

Oh, and that's also me too re: Duran Duran (which I really rate as debut albums go, and still feel its the best they ever did en-masse) and Seven and the Ragged Tiger (although only really for the DVD from that new set) smile

Rob

#44323 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 02:02:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
1.Outside Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Quote:
Let's not forget but officially its a new album from the boys in 24 years
You mean we have to wait 24 years for a new album? I think I'll have expired by then wink

#44324 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 02:09:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
KevinTipps Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Desolate Angel:
Quote:
[b] hmv are now carrying the special edition for £12.99 without the print. so is the card rage in eden piccy worth the £3.50 more?
Thats up to you to decide Kevin. Do YOU wanna part with £3.50 cash for it? I personally feel its a nice keep sake to add to a fantastic memory - so yes, but i can only speak for myself smile [/b]
I'm sticking with my order no matter what, £3.50 is not bad considering its a decent print, shame my wife wont allow me to hang it up frown it will be hanging in the walkin cupboard grrrrrrrrrrrrrr but atleast I can see it wink

#44325 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 03:25:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Desolate Angel:
[b]
Quote:
[b] hmv are now carrying the special edition for £12.99 without the print. so is the card rage in eden piccy worth the £3.50 more?
Thats up to you to decide Kevin. Do YOU wanna part with £3.50 cash for it? I personally feel its a nice keep sake to add to a fantastic memory - so yes, but i can only speak for myself smile [/b]
I'm sticking with my order no matter what, £3.50 is not bad considering its a decent print, shame my wife wont allow me to hang it up frown it will be hanging in the walkin cupboard grrrrrrrrrrrrrr but atleast I can see it wink [/b]
Well Kevin you can still bring it out of the cupboard for viewing!! smile No its not bad at all - it will be top notch! smile

#44326 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 04:40:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Gillian Offline

Quote:
I'm sticking with my order no matter what, £3.50 is not bad considering its a decent print, shame my wife wont allow me to hang it up frown it will be hanging in the walkin cupboard grrrrrrrrrrrrrr but atleast I can see it wink
Shall I send Gene 'round to "have a word"? I don't think I've even asked my other half if he minds me putting it up.... lmao

#44327 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 04:50:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Cerise Offline

Well I've got my tour poster screen print framed and hanging up in the hallway - I'm lucky that my other half (despite liking mostly classical music) actually really likes the Rage Face, otherwise I wouldn't have stood a chance! And I have to say, it looks bloody fantastic. laugh

#44328 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 05:15:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Jojo Offline

Loc: liverpool
Quote:
Well I've got my tour poster screen print framed and hanging up in the hallway - I'm lucky that my other half (despite liking mostly classical music) actually really likes the Rage Face, otherwise I wouldn't have stood a chance! And I have to say, it looks bloody fantastic. laugh
I'm hoping my other half is going to be just as obliging, if it means his vintage framed LFC shirt is having to be wall mounted too, then so be it wink

#44329 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:13:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
KevinTipps Offline

I lost my computer room when my son was born in march last year so I now have the walkin in cupboard as my new room laugh so its cramped

The only thing missing is my tour poster on the wall

#44330 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:18:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
leggylady Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
Kevin....
I think that's the tidiest cupboard I've ever seen!!! wink

#44331 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:44:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
KevinTipps Offline

its a little untidy at the mo but that will change as I'm off work for 14 days laugh time to tidy up & have some time to put some of my 1st issue ultravox cd's away in the loft... My son takes up most of my time.

I'm just getting ready for my new cd/dvd sets comming, ultravox, duran & maybe some omd if I have some money wink

#44332 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:34:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Ian MacQueen Offline

Loc: Truro,Cornwall
My Missus thought I was mad after printing last years tour flyer onto photo quality paper and then going out to buy a frame to go with it,so that everyone who walks through the hallway can see it in all its' spendour!!! Seems I'm not the only nutter on here then wink roflmao

#44333 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:04:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
mandy Offline

I have no other half, so there's no stopping me! - I've already picked the spot so it'll be up there together with the framed original Rage In Eden album poster and the signed Midge tour poster smile

Still haven't found a nice enough frame though

#44334 - Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:11:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
voxlady Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: New Zealand
Gonna get mine framed at the local picture framers / art shop - it will go in the hallway, at bottom of stairs - first thing to see as you go into the house :-)

#44335 - Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:27:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Emulator Offline

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
Quote:
Good example Thin Lizzy – Live and Dangerous
Quote from Wikipedia
Lynott asked if they could re-record some vocals due to technical issues. After spending some time overdubbing various bits, noticing the impact on the result, they ended up re-recording all the vocals, guitars and bass. So the only real live elements of Live and Dangerous are the drums and the audience. Visconti (Producer) justified this by stating that every track was performed before a live audience. Tony Visconti has stated that the album is "75percent recorded in the studio."
Vox connection: wasn't this the album that Midge listened to on headphones as he flew to join Lizzy on the far east tour he did with them before joining up with the lads? If it was then he was learning the chords and riffs to songs which had been re-recorded in the studio! Hardly live and dangerous at all really!

#44336 - Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:31:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Gillian Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leggylady:
Kevin....
I think that's the tidiest cupboard I've ever seen!!! wink
I have to agree - do you want to come and tidy my home office?

#44337 - Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:42:00 Re: Roundhouse DVD
Desolate Angel Offline

Good god Kevin how tidy/organised are you! We're impressed! smile

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13 >