Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#41653 - Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:27:00 Return to Eden - Belfast
Cerise Offline

Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Bristol, UK
Anyone have any suggestions for a pre-show (and/or post-show) Voxgate venue in Belfast?

#41654 - Tue, 28 Apr 2009 05:33:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
Cerise Offline

Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Bristol, UK
Belfast Pre & Post-show Voxgate now set as Pre & Post: The Kitchen Bar , 36 - 40 Victoria Square BT1 4DY (thanks Jim!).

Have fun!! smile

#41655 - Sun, 03 May 2009 04:00:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
dante Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Belfast
It's quiet here. I hope it won't be so quiet tomorrow evening at Waterfront smile . Tomorrow lads... I hope it will be night to remember. I'm waiting.
mexican

#41656 - Mon, 04 May 2009 19:45:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
green_tea Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: here, there and everywhere
be ashamed of yourselves, Belfast...the show wasn't sold out!
I hope you sang loudly enough to make up for it though laugh

#41657 - Mon, 04 May 2009 21:56:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
dante Offline

That's true Alexandera, I was dissapointed too, there were the vacant seats at Waterfront.
Anyway the gig was fantastic. I was in Edinburgh at teir first gig, it was good, great audience, but yesterday Midge, Billy, Chris and Warren played fantastically. It was great to see how they improved the show, details during the tour. Great finish, something what I missed at Playhouse gig, Warren's solo on the drums was incredible.
Maybe the audience wasn't such spontaneous like at Playhouse but everything else was great.
I was absolutely stunned and exhausted, I couldn't speak (physically)
I've got Warren's autograph laugh
The night to remember forever.
I thought that I'd lost it, but now it cries to me...

#41658 - Tue, 05 May 2009 22:06:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
Symeon Offline

Loc: Ireland
Technically, the Belfast gig was superior to the Dublin one. There was more space on the stage and back, the sound was much better, everything seemed organised that bit better and Billy got to his keyboard on time to play the piano part of Vienna.

The crowd, however, was awful.

There were plenty of empty seats at the Waterfront (which is, in fairness, twice the size of the Olympia), but the problem was with the people that were actually there. The average age was about 50, much higher than in Dublin, and the average interest in watching Ultravox was approximately 0. I don't have even a transparently made-up sociopolitical explanation for this discrepancy, but the fact is that it was an embarassingly dead crowd and I, identifying with the band, was very disappointed.

There were 3-4 individual fans that made their presence felt in various ways. The rest were, in various degrees, going through the motions of expected behaviour. About 20% of the hall got up for One Small day, most of them sat back down again after the song was over, and everybody else after All Stood Still.

Admitedly, the situation wasn't helped by the bouncers telling people on the front row to sit back down (!) but that would hardly have stopped a decent crowd. This one, however, didn't recognise Dancing With Tears In My Eyes until Midge started the chorus! You can imagine how the whole 1st part of the gig went...

Don't get me wrong, it was a great gig. I was happy to sit and listen to the superior sound of a now familiar setlist. But the guys deserve so much better reception than this, and I'm glad we gave them such in Dublin.

#41659 - Tue, 05 May 2009 22:34:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's interesting how people can see the same things differently isn't it. For me Dublin was a better gig because the size of the venue - effectively, but please correct me if I'm wrong, a small, slightly ramshackled and tired, victorian theatre. Apart from opening night in Edinburgh, it was the smallest venue of the tour - great for having that feeling that wherever you sat you were still within touching distance of the band. That said, there were three tiers of seating and the top tier seemed empty, possibly shut. Many people I met said that the two Ireland shows were not promoted very well locally, and a crowd in a small venue that was only two thirds full would suggest that was indeed the case. A real shame, because even with technical glitches and missed cues here and there, it was a very energetic and fun evening. One of the best of the tour in my opinion.

Belfast was different, as you've pointed out, because it was in a newer and much larger venue (I'd say three times in number of seats, even more so the actual physical size of the venue), however from our seats in the first tier there still seemed a lot of noise and energy from the crowd during and inbetween songs. The last time I was at the Waterfront Hall was for the Midge solo show in 2002, and from memory I can assure you that in comparison that one really was empty and lifeless. As for the demographic of the audience, it was no different than any other show on the tour - a lot of the audiences are/have been nearly 50 or over, so Belfast can't really be singled out for its people being too old. I don't know, perhaps any perceived lack of atmosphere was possibly due to other reasons. Either way, both shows were extremely good value, received well by those attending I thought and a nice way to end the tour.

smile

#41660 - Wed, 06 May 2009 03:49:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
Sky-Man Offline

I would agree with Paul!The Belfast Gig was for me a very enjoyable evening !The band were excellent i thought.Also for myself and Michelle we both had a great time(Michelle you will always be my Dance Partner on the next tour!;@)I left the Waterfront feeling that the concert was excellent value for money and it brought back great memories from the Maysfield gig back in 82!
It was also great to meet up with Both Paul and Pippa for a few drinks before the gig (Hope you both enjoyed the Guiness !:@) .I hope the band do tour again and i hope they will consider
playing Belfast again ! Ps Billy Thank you for giving me the Drumstick after the drum jam!Will made up after the disappointment at the Brighton Gig. PPS Paul i really liked your review of the gig!

#41661 - Wed, 06 May 2009 06:09:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
Michele Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: London
Hmm don't mention the Belfast security nazis, they nearly spoiled an evening that I hope my and Skyman's antics at the front brought some modicum of a smile to the band - yes we danced (if you can call it that) our socks off, didn't we Jim?

Fancy trying to make me sit down in Hymn just because those behind couldn't see over 4ft 10inch moi eek

I looked round - they were all taller than me and had working legs so could easily have stood up. I get heads in the way of my view at almost every gig I go to - imagine trying to complain about tall people - I'd be laughed out of the venues mad

Anyhow, I digress - I thought the sound was incredibly good at the Waterfront, I certainly thought Warren sounded louder and more clear than at some of the shows I attended. Great acoustics but a lot of the audience needed to be at home with their cocoa or injected with speed on entry to the auditorium. Couldn't quite fathom the no drinks rule either - had to sneak a bottle of water in else I'd have choked - a show stopper that no one would have needed to see :rolleyes:

Think I'll shut up now - this is sounding more negative than I meant it to. All in all I had a great weekend in Ireland (North and South) but I think I'll give the Waterfront Hall a miss next time wink

#41662 - Thu, 07 May 2009 05:09:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
stumcb Offline

Loc: clydebank
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hitchcock:
Apart from opening night in Edinburgh, it was the smallest venue of the tour
In terms of capacity, I would have thought that Edinburgh was one of the largest venues. It holds just over 3000. Most of the other venues were around 2000 seaters.

I went to Edinburgh, and Glasgow but as it was a bank holiday i drove down to Stranraer jumped on the ferry and went to the Belfast gig. Apparently the Waterfront holds 2245, and I reckon the attendance must still have been around 1800.

It was great to see how the show improved over the course of the tour. The guys definitely seemed more relaxed, the overall sound was better, and the re-jigging of the setlist worked better as well.

The crowd at Belfast were not as up for it as Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I thought for RTWW, Dwtime, hymn and the encore all of the stalls were up on their feet. The reception between songs was pretty good too.

It was still a fantastic concert, and I think I might not be alone in saying I could watch thta every day of my life.

#41663 - Thu, 07 May 2009 10:25:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
dante Offline

It's three days after belfast gig and i stil have it in my mind. Yes you're absolutely right stumcb "I could watch thta every day of my life".
First of all, what Symeon said, perfect sound at Waterfront(definitely the key-factor), second thing the stage and the band seemed to be in the reach of your hands. Third you can easily notice that the lads are relaxed and really enjoy the show.
Like I said before I was at their first gig in Edinburgh and for me personally was a great pleasure to see how they improved the show, polished the details during the tour. Better and very atmospheric passages beetwen songs. More Billy's violin, powerfull expanded instrumental part of "dancing with tears in my eyes" which dented me into the ground, great finish- Warren's solo on the drums. All these things I missed at Playhouse gig.
I saw them first time in my life in this tour at Playhouse and though I really enjoyed the show after that I felt some insufficiency, I thought that maybe I don't feel this music so strong, in the same way when I was younger. But after Belfast gig I know I haven't lost it. It still cries to me. I have no doubts, it was a gig from my dreams.

#41664 - Tue, 12 May 2009 08:59:00 Re: Return to Eden - Belfast
dante Offline

I hadn't said it before but it was really pleasure for me to meet you Caroline and Steven from Manchester (I hope i remember well your names, if I don't, forgive me that, I got too many impressions that night) If you read it, the best greetings from me, you're great and genial people. I hope we'll drink a pint eventually, it could be in Manchester, Belfast or anywhere else cool . I hope it will be another Ultravox tour and we meet there. Have a good time in Belgium welcome