Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#4136 - Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:36:00 A Cathedral Oceans experience
birdsong Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: southampton
I've mentioned here somewhere about my Church Building project and several of you folks have been kind enough to ask how its going.
(First, for those who don't know, I am on a committee set up to form a charity and raise funds to re-develop our local 150 yr old church building into a music and performance art venue, as well as revitalise it as a place of worship.
It has stood empty for nine years until this summer)

Today we had our first concert in the Building , and it was fab!!!
A free Flute Forte evening with local students playing bits of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven etc in front of about 90 people
Been really busy cleaning, wiring, mending, fixing and generally tidying (as well as fighting off CofE bureaucrats!) to get to this point and it has been well worth while (even we are still very naive and only at the beginning of the experience)

After the concert (I blagged an hour on my own before lock-up) I played Cathedral Oceans 2 through the PA again - as I did earlier in the year with CO1.
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING as I'm sure you can imagine.
I'm aware that it's not intended to be liturgical or 'religious' music in any way, but there's no doubt to my mind that it can be and the extracts from Catholic mass are not coincidental.
I was as uplifted by this album as I have ever been.
Talk about music for environments.
There is a whole new dimension to it when you get time to swim around.

Thanks so much John - its a work of genius. laugh

#4137 - Sun, 10 Sep 2006 07:33:00 Re: A Cathedral Oceans experience
robert Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: london
Sounds brilliant birdsong. A most rewarding project. I live not to far from the union chapel and heard that its very good for concerts and sound in there. Marc almond has played live there a few times as has david byrne. Sometimes because i have so many albums in my collection i never know what to stick on but lately cathederal oceans has been on my mind to play.

#4138 - Sun, 10 Sep 2006 08:07:00 Re: A Cathedral Oceans experience
birdsong Offline

cheers.

I've seen Marc there actually. Brilliant.
The Union Chapel is a model for us and they are being very helpful with advice and stuff

#4139 - Sun, 10 Sep 2006 08:10:00 Re: A Cathedral Oceans experience
birdsong Offline

cheers.

I've seen Marc there actually. Brilliant.
The Union Chapel is a model for us and they are being very helpful with advice and stuff

#4140 - Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:05:00 Re: A Cathedral Oceans experience
robert Offline

You can get a dvd of one of marc almonds gigs at the union chapel. I have the david byrne dvd live at the union chapel and the sound and the setting is great.

#4141 - Mon, 11 Sep 2006 01:46:00 Re: A Cathedral Oceans experience
Alex S Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Congratulations on the gig.

The CO experience sounds good - almost like the music was made for that setting.

When I see a ruined abbey, a large church, a graveyard or even overgrown ivy on an old building, I think of John's CO work.

#4142 - Mon, 11 Sep 2006 03:09:00 Re: A Cathedral Oceans experience
newvox Offline

Loc: ''in a grey suit''
Im always looking at churchs as thats one of the main subjects of my photography along with old buildings and landscapes. Most times i imagine Johns and Ultravox music as part of the inspiration for the best photos to be taken.
More often than not wherever i am, i take my ipod and camera with me.

#4143 - Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:46:00 Re: A Cathedral Oceans experience
robert Offline

Its funny because where i live i seem to be surounded by churches. Something that untill recently ive become aware of. Cathederal oceans has been on my mind recently, so ill probably re listen.

#4144 - Mon, 11 Sep 2006 06:37:00 Re: A Cathedral Oceans experience
METAL BEAT Offline

Loc: Watford
Hi Martin
I wish you every success with your project.

I was recently at what used to be an old nunnery near St Albans for two nights and even with an MP3 player, it gave CO an outstanding atmosphere
Peter