Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#400 - Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:01:00 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
1.Outside Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Birmingham
Mr X for me.

#401 - Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:17:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Mrs. X Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Definitely...without a doubt...100%...

MR. X! (Though, I absolutely love "Herr X" as well.)

That was obvious! laugh

Mrs. X

#402 - Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:43:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Chris C Offline

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
I love them both. On some of the boots from the last US Tour with John you could listen to the intro of Touch and Go as Mr X. wink

The best thing about John leaving Ultravox was that we got 2 albums instead of one. Well 3 in reality. Metamatic, Vienna and Visage. 3 into 1. laugh Island recognized this. They're not that bad after all! Jah man lmao

Herr C

#403 - Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:39:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
If the question was Mr X or Touch and Go I'd go for Touch and Go as although they use the same melody (only on the intro for Touch and Go), Mr X is an exercise in minimalism and simplicity - it doesn't really vary that much all the way through, whereas Touch and Go has a more varied arrangement.

Er...but that wasn't the question... nervouslaugh

So I reckon "He's a Liquid". But then Mr X ranks as 1 of my least favourite 'vox tracks ever ever EVER... evil

#404 - Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:33:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Mr. Weirdo Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: land of the lost souls ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Flip Martian:
Er...but that wasn't the question...
erm ... actually i wonder , what the use of this question was @ all ... i mean u CAN'T compare "mr. x" & "he's a liquid" imho , neither musically nor lyrically , sorry !!! frown

anyway ... c u ! smile

olaf a.k.a. ..::=|MeTaMaTRiX|=::..

#405 - Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:52:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Chris C Offline

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
Quote:
Mr X is an exercise in minimalism and simplicity - it doesn't really vary that much all the way through
Flip

Simplicity not with Billy. You forgot the Viola parts to the track. laugh

The drum tracks sound simple but if you listen closely Warren makes use of The Theory of Repetition (something championed by Lamont-Young and Eno). It's Warren's craft here that makes the song so special. wink The Mine for Life DVDs (courtesy of CP)show how impressive Warren's equipment is. I wouldn't know where to start. eek

Touch and Go reflects John's songwriting ability. A musician that can write 40 excellent tracks for an album whereas others struggle to get 10. John is an all rounder and makes Touch and Go, although minimalistic sounding, a rather complex track. Because I love John's romanticism I'll finally go for Touch and Go.

Chris C
laugh

#406 - Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:56:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Mrs. X Offline

Yes, I really believe this should have been between "Touch And Go" and "Mr. X."

Now, that would make the decision a bit harder as I love "Touch And Go" as well... However, my decision still stands.

Mr. X

laugh

Mrs. X

#407 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:07:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Mrs. X Offline

By the way, Flip, since my memory is long and I recall you having got after me (jokingly, mind you) for my dislike of "Systems Of Romance" (the song)...I have to say...

How can you POSSIBLY hate "Mr. X?!" The thought is inconceivable!! biglaugh

Mrs. X

#408 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:10:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
1.Outside Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. X:
Yes, I really believe this should have been between "Touch And Go" and "Mr. X."
Hmm... did I screw up? I thought Mr X sounded a bit similar to 'He's a Liquid'. I haven't heard 'Touch and Go' in ages as I don't have the CD.

#409 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:12:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Mrs. X Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.Outside:
Hmm... did I screw up? I thought Mr X sounded a bit similar to 'He's a Liquid'. I haven't heard 'Touch and Go' in ages as I don't have the CD.
Well, there have been previous discussions over the similarities between "Touch And Go" and "Mr. X." I think that's what I and other people are getting at. Have a listen to them both side-by-side and judge for yourself!! wink

Mrs. X

#410 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:21:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
1.Outside Offline

Quote:
Have a listen to them both side-by-side and judge for yourself!! wink
I'll have to go and buy the CD first laugh

#411 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:26:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Mrs. X Offline

Quote:
I'll have to go and buy the CD first laugh
Well, what are you waiting for?! Go! laugh excited

Mrs. X

#412 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:30:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
1.Outside Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I'll have to go and buy the CD first laugh
Well, what are you waiting for?! Go! laugh excited

Mrs. X[/b]
Well I'm going into town tomorrow so maybe I will laugh

#413 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:44:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Mrs. X Offline

Quote:
Well I'm going into town tomorrow so maybe I will laugh
Good! Let me know what you think when you've compared the two songs! laugh

Mrs. X

#414 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:28:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Flip Martian Offline

Mrs X... Mr X is repetitive and for me the melody doesn't warrant repeating over and over for so loooong....!

1. Outside - Its only really the intro to Touch and Go that "shares similarities" (ahem) with Mr X - the melody used is the same. After that, Touch and Go goes 1 way, while Mr X....makes the most of that melody and uses it a lot...

#415 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:52:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Hello! I'm of the newer fans of Ultravox/Foxx/Ure (having listened to them for 3,5 years but being 22 years old now), and joined not so long ago, so this is my first real 'statement' here.
I personally can't find a lot of similarities between either "Mr. X", "Touch and Go" or "He's a Liquid". I've read such thoughts before and listened to "Mr. X" and "Touch and Go" (or in reversed order) in succession, but there's really not many things in common between them (to my ears). I think that "Mr. X" has much fuller sound, not so 'transparent' as in John's one. And "TAG" is much faster... Maybe the bass line is a bit similar, but that's it for me.
As for "Mr. X" vs. "He's a Liquid" - they're SO different! I think to compare them is like to compare a dance track and a ballad (not that there's something wrong with being the dance track...).
As for my personal opinion - "Mr. X" is one of my favourite UreVox ones, as for these two John's songs, I prefer "He's a Liquid". This one is really great to listen to somewhere in the middle of the night, with darkness all around. I was really hooked when I first heard it on "Modern Art".
BTW, played it to some girls in the Institute - they were impressed but not very keen to listen to it for the second time. smile They called it "something gothic".
But "Touch and Go" isn't bad at all - coming from the best John's album it just can't be bad!

#416 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:25:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Flip Martian Offline

It always surprises me when anyone says they can't hear the similarity in T & G and Mr X. smile

Listen to the intro of T & G - the melody (high) part - it only plays at the start.

Mr X has that same tune repeating at different parts throughout (played on a different sound, not the same type of sound as T & G).

See? smile

Oops, nearly forgot - hi Vladimir, welcome!

#417 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:39:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Shadow Man Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Quote:
It always surprises me when anyone says they can't hear the similarity in T & G and Mr X. smile
Yes, I agree with you Flip. smile

And to holding the discussion alive:

TOUCH & GO IS IT FOR ME!! evil biglaugh )

#418 - Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:42:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Shadow Man Offline

Oh - sorry!

Very welcome here Vladimir!!! smile

#419 - Sat, 08 Jan 2005 04:17:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Vladimir Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
Thanks to all of you! I'm very glad to be here.
Well, I've just listened to both "Mr. X" and "Touch and Go" - yes, I can finally hear what you mean, Flip! But only for the first two... chords, maybe (don't know how to call these sounds, sorry), they're almost identical. But on John's one they're changing, progressing, and on Ultravox one they're repeat troughout almost without change.
And, as I've said earlier, some similarities with the bass lines. But apart from it - these two are two very different songs, in my opinion.
---
By the way, some time ago I had a chance to hear the first version of "He's a Liquid" - from Philadelphia gig of 1979. Rather interesting, but what's more interesting is that I remembered what Warren said about this one in his great interview with Jonas Warstad: "Any credit whatsoever for our involvement in those two songs [along with "Touch and Go", which I sadly haven't heard yet] was conspicuously absent on 'Metamatic'".
But I personally think it wouldn't be fair to credit the band for (in this case) "He's a Liquid" on "Metamatic", 'cause these two versions differ from each other drastically. Apart from the melody line there's nothing in common - VERY different lyrics, a guitar, the length the overall atmosphere is (I think) not so cold and alienated.
And what do you think about it?

#420 - Sat, 08 Jan 2005 05:49:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Nils Offline

Loc: Bremen, Germany
If the question is between "Mr X" and "He's a Liquid" I'll choose "He's a Liquid", although I love "Mr X". But I clearly favour "Mr X" in front of "Touch and Go".

And....yes, I thought of "Mr X", when I listened to "Touch and Go" the 1st time.

#421 - Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:03:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
quietman Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Portland, Oregon
"Herr X" but I always thought "Dislocation" was similar lyrically speaking.

#422 - Sat, 08 Jan 2005 19:14:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Flip Martian Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Vladimir:
Thanks to all of you! I'm very glad to be here.
Well, I've just listened to both "Mr. X" and "Touch and Go" - yes, I can finally hear what you mean, Flip! But only for the first two... chords, maybe (don't know how to call these sounds, sorry), they're almost identical. But on John's one they're changing, progressing, and on Ultravox one they're repeat troughout almost without change.
And, as I've said earlier, some similarities with the bass lines. But apart from it - these two are two very different songs, in my opinion.
Glad you found it this time! smile And yes - exactly my point too - they do evolve into very different tracks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vladimir:

By the way, some time ago I had a chance to hear the first version of "He's a Liquid" - from Philadelphia gig of 1979. Rather interesting, but what's more interesting is that I remembered what Warren said about this one in his great interview with Jonas Warstad: "Any credit whatsoever for our involvement in those two songs [along with "Touch and Go", which I sadly haven't heard yet] was conspicuously absent on 'Metamatic'".
But I personally think it wouldn't be fair to credit the band for (in this case) "He's a Liquid" on "Metamatic", 'cause these two versions differ from each other drastically. Apart from the melody line there's nothing in common - VERY different lyrics, a guitar, the length the overall atmosphere is (I think) not so cold and alienated.
And what do you think about it?
Hard to say - without knowing what the band contributed to the original version. Who knows? Maybe Billy wrote the melody! Probably something we won't find out...

#423 - Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:40:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Craig Offline

Loc: Peterborough
It has always struck me that Mr X and TAG are the same song, melody wise, the innstrumental breaks are even in the same place!(The bit where the drums get more prominant - that's as technical as I get!) However I have to appreciate that different ears hear different things, I played both tracks to my missus last year and she couldn't see the similarity (she did get 'Girls Aloud' for christmas, mind - easy on the eye)
Cheers

#424 - Sun, 05 Feb 2006 08:40:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Dadge Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Birmingham, England
Just listened to the live Ultravox version of Liquid again (on "Slow Motion 78") - a great song, what a shame a studio version was never released. The JF solo version is good, DGMW, but it lost a lot in transition. (I'd say the opposite is true of "Walk Away" which is much better on "The Garden".)

Adrian

#425 - Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:08:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Mrs. X Offline

I don't really like any of the original Ultravox versions of songs that John would keep for himself when he went solo ("Touch & Go," "He's A Liquid," "Walk Away"...). I think maybe, had John and Robin not left the band, the songs could have been perfected for recording. But live, they were...not very good...and John did them justice on his own.

Mrs. X

#426 - Mon, 06 Feb 2006 02:55:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Andy_B Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Anywhere but here
Not much in it - I think they're both great tracks.

But "Touch and Go" just wins it for me. I love the extended instrumental ending.

#427 - Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:54:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Shadow Man Offline

I like the three early versions of the Songs.

ESPECIALLY WALK AWAY ROCKS.... evil

Love it !

But I agree with Tara, John made these songs perfect on his solo records. Touch & Go was great on his Crash & Burn Tour... :rolleyes:

HEY JOHN! WHEN CAN WE SEE YOU ON STAGE AGAIN??????

wink Andreas

#428 - Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:05:00 Re: 'Mr X' or 'He's a Liquid'
Luna Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
It hurts me greatly to choose, but I think Touch and Go has the very slight edge here. laugh