Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#3907 - Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:01:00 I'm new!
Alex S Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Hi Everybody! I'm new here.

I've been a huge fan of John Foxx's solo work since 2001. I'm 26 and live in Sheffield.

I met John last year before a gig supporting the Human League. He was very chatty, and we talked a lot about his album covers - being a graphic designer myself it was an interesting subject! Oh and John's gig was amazing - better than the headlining act even!

Nice to see Robin Harris on here - he treats us well! :-)

I found this forum earlier while hunting around on Google for any news/rumours on either John's next album or the Metatronic/Metamatica (etc) releases.

Cheers!
Alex

#3908 - Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:35:00 Re: I'm new!
Rob Harris Offline

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Thanks for that Alex... wink

Anyhow, welcome to the Extreme Voice Forum...

Rob

#3909 - Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:41:00 Re: I'm new!
Alex S Offline

Thanks Rob! :-)

I can't believe I didn't come across this forum until now... banghead

Anyway it's nice to see so many fans here and to be able to talk about John's music.

There's a bi-monthly (or at least it used to be) synthpop night here in Sheffield, and they always play at least one of John's songs during the night - usually Underpass or Europe After the rain. Though the DJ did recently buy Crash & Burn (at my recommendtion I have to add!), so hopefully we'll get some of that too! the playlists are at http://www.syntheticsheffield.co.uk

#3910 - Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:42:00 Re: I'm new!
METAL BEAT Offline

Loc: Watford
Hi Alex
Welcome. I would suspect that you are one of the younger members on this forum. How did you discover John? I've been a fan of his since I first heard the Ultravox album "Systems of Romance" Now that gives my age away :p
Regards
Peter

#3911 - Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:44:00 Re: I'm new!
Cerise Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Hi Alex, glad you found us! wink

#3912 - Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:10:00 Re: I'm new!
Alex S Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by METAL BEAT:
How did you discover John? I've been a fan of his since I first heard the Ultravox album "Systems of Romance" Now that gives my age away :p
Regards
Peter
Well it was actually Systems of Romance for me too! A friend leant me the first three Ultravox! albums back in 1996 - and it was Systems that really stood out for me. I knew John persued a solo career, but it just took me a while to getting round to investigating it!

However back in 2001, a friend who used to work with John in the mid 70s brought the Metamatic album to my attention.

So then I bought the newly released Modern Art compilation, soon follwed by Metamatic and the garden... and the rest is history!

#3913 - Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:44:00 Re: I'm new!
Herbert the turbot Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Barnsley
Cor blimey - another Foxx fan in South Yorkshire!

Welcome, Alex! I'm a former resident of Sheffield, now living in Hoyland (near Barnsley) and I've been a Foxx fan since 1980, when I first heard "Underpass" on the 'Kid Jensen' show on Radio 1. It's intriguing that, although the majority of fans on this forum first discovered JF's work during his first solo period (1980-85), he appears to be acquiring new fans who've never heard his earlier work.

For the record, much as I've enjoyed John's recent work, much of it lacks the depth, melody and organic-ness of the earlier stuff. Then again, having gone 12 years between 'In Mysterious Ways' and 'Shifting City', I suppose we should be grateful that John's still recording at all!

Is it time to start speculating about a new album yet? smile

#3914 - Fri, 05 Nov 2004 02:26:00 Re: I'm new!
Luca Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi Alex and welcome aboard!

Quote:
There's a bi-monthly (or at least it used to be) synthpop night here in Sheffield, and they always play at least one of John's songs during the night - usually Underpass or Europe After the rain. Though the DJ did recently buy Crash & Burn (at my recommendtion I have to add!), so hopefully we'll get some of that too! the playlists are at http://www.syntheticsheffield.co.uk
Try and download my "Sidewalking" remix @ Transplant the Romance - it's a guaranteed dancefloor filler wink

Cheers,
Luca

#3915 - Fri, 05 Nov 2004 05:30:00 Re: I'm new!
Alex S Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
Cor blimey - another Foxx fan in South Yorkshire!
Hey there's quite a few of us! You're not alone!

Actually at the last synth pop night I went to, I was wearing my Crach & Burn t-shirt and a group of fans present stopped me to worship the shirt!

I like all John's music - obvioulsy Metamatic, but I'm really into the new stuff. The Pleasures of Electricity was a superb album - one of John's favourites too. When I met him we talked about it.

I think he could do something a bit richer now though - more layers of music and not as minimal/retro. he took that as far as he could I think with Crash & Burn.

But we'll wait and see what happens - in the 3 years or so I've been a fan, what I've learnt is that he always surpsises us!

#3916 - Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:56:00 Re: I'm new!
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
Luca - I love the Sidewalking Remix - keep them coming!!! Paul.

#3917 - Sat, 06 Nov 2004 09:24:00 Re: I'm new!
apieceoffurniture Offline

Loc: USA
I must be a little older .
1977 Barbarellas night club . Walked in and up popped this group called Ultravox .

One of the things I remember was JF picking up a strobe and pulling close to him then dancing jerking side to side . A way of life was born ! smile

Saw them there three times in total .

Once JF started a gig in a real old fashioned suit . The kind my grandad would wear which was the fashion then with us posers and it wasnt long before some punk gobbed on it .

That part sounds bad but those were the days.

Couldn't take Ultravox with M.Ure . Too many memories of the Rich Kids . They were the ultimate soldout / false / fabricated band . banghead Any good poser/punk worth his salt thought the same at that time.

Never saw Ultravox with him . Stuck with our John ever since though.
excited

#3918 - Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:34:00 Re: I'm new!
Meriseth Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Genoa Italy
Quote:
Hi Everybody! I'm new here.

I've been a huge fan of John Foxx's solo work since 2001. I'm 26 and live in Sheffield.

I met John last year before a gig supporting the Human League. He was very chatty, and we talked a lot about his album covers - being a graphic designer myself it was an interesting subject! Oh and John's gig was amazing - better than the headlining act even!

I found this forum earlier while hunting around on Google for any news/rumours on either John's next album or the Metatronic/Metamatica (etc) releases.

Cheers!
Alex
Hi, Young Man!
Welcome to the Foxxworld. I've been a Foxx-addict since... oh... uh... my memory fails me. Getting old, I suppose! No, I'm joking. Early 80s. And you could be my son. I'm glad to find young people interested in John's work.
Ciao

Meriseth

#3919 - Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:58:00 Re: I'm new!
Shadow Man Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
My God!

I was off for a couple of days and it seems I missed a lot of topics here!

At first ; very welcome Alex! It's great the next generation of John's fans are here on this site too. I'm an older fan (Since the seventees) - had finished the 41 this year. ( where are the years flown?...) Like you, my favourite site of John's music is the "Metamatic" style too, but I like the other stuff too. Hope we can enjoy John's music for many years in the future too.

Regards; Shadow Man