Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#3541 - Sat, 17 Dec 2005 01:15:00 My City And My Pride, The Sky
Shadow Man Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Had anyone ever heard these two tracks?

I got my copy of The Service magazine, issue 2, from E-bay for a couple of days and these tracks were mentioned as 2 recorded tracks from 8 for the release of "In Mysterious ways". The other tracks were released on Vinyl/ CD.

The magazine is from 1984 I think, after John's Golden Section Tour and before In Mysterious ways. A nice one!!!

Would be interesting if anyone know something about the two unreleased tracks...

Regards, Andreas

#3542 - Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:24:00 Re: My City And My Pride, The Sky
Craig Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Peterborough
Hi Andreas,
Firstly a very Merry Christmas to you and your girlfriend, from the very fast speaking Englishman! Have a good one! I've got that copy of the mag and I am only guessing, but knowing John these songs probably changed names during the creative process - therefore maybe 'The Sky' became 'The Lifting Sky' (a personal favourite cos I can play the guitar riff!), and I suppose we could all take a guess at 'My City...' it could be one of the many 'City of Light' songs, I would again guess at the one that is a B-Side from the IMW singles.
Cheers

#3543 - Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:18:00 Re: My City And My Pride, The Sky
Shadow Man Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Hi, very fast speaking ( biglaugh ) Craig!

Thanks for your wishes. I hope you both had a nice Christmas time as we had...

I thought too it could be possible these two tracks could be released with other names but I'm not sure...
I hoped Rob could give an answer of this? confused

Hope to see you soon eye in eye again Craig! Perhaps on the next gig in spring? laugh :rolleyes:

Bye, Andreas

#3544 - Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:15:00 Re: My City And My Pride, The Sky
LRD Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: here and now
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
therefore maybe 'The Sky' became 'The Lifting Sky', and I suppose we could all take a guess at 'My City...' it could be one of the many 'City of Light' songs, I would again guess at the one that is a B-Side from the IMW singles.
"the lifting sky" was already recorded during a session for "the golden section" album in 1983, so it certainly can't be that song!

"city of light(s)" on the "stars on fire" single is a completely different song compared to the "cities of light 1-5" songs that were made between 1990 and 2001 for various albums!
it's actually one of the last songs that john recorded during the "in mysterious ways" sessions in 1985, so it's not very likely that "my city ..." later became known as "city of light(s)", but i could be wrong in this case, of course!