Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#2756 - Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:12:00 Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
Alex S Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Blue shirt, white snow pink sky. Christmas 1996.

At least I think it was. There's a slim chance it was New Year 1995 but anyway, I remember the snow and the clothes I was in, when a friend first leant me "Systems of Romance".

Listening to it today, having since discovered John's entire back catalogue, it's evident here that in many ways, this was already evolving in to a John Foxx solo album. Songs like "The Quiet Men" and "Dislocation" bore typical Foxx trademarks; ; the creative lyrics, the distinctive melodies and the prominent, strong vocals - and all that would be re-enforced with "Metamatic".

I also feeel there's an element of "Blue Light" in "Night Suit".

Anyway, I'm proud to own this album - certainly one of the most important and influential albums to come out of the post-punk period, if not THE most!

Thanks for reading!

Alex

#2757 - Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:16:00 Re: Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
Chris C Offline

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alex S:
[QB]
Anyway, I'm proud to own this album - certainly one of the most important and influential albums to come out of the post-punk period, if not THE most!

I agree. Ask Rusty(Egan)? John Foxx is the original New Romantic. David Bowie the Old Romantic (and "Dad"). It's all well documented in a recent Record Collector. Rusty with his JF clothes and John with his classic grin!! laugh

Best musical moment: I Can't Stay Long
Best lyric: Some of Them
Most influential track: The Quiet Men
Best still (not in the album but from the EV vaults): John outside Conny's studio recording the vocal tracks for Just for a Moment. That's our John!!! laugh Rob hope this one is back in The Gallery wink

Chris C

#2758 - Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:38:00 Re: Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
METAL BEAT Offline

Loc: Watford
Just for a Moment, Systems of Romance, the piece of vinyl that cost 99p in a sale many years ago that started me off, to where I'm at today. I remember exactly where I was when I first heard this masterpeice.
Favourite track ; Dislocation
Favourite lines; Someone came into the room when I was half asleep. We spoke for a while. lurve
Regards
Peter

#2759 - Thu, 18 Nov 2004 02:10:00 Re: Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
Luca Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:

Yes, I think "Systems" is THE post-punk album - period. An absolute masterpiece.
Quote:

Best musical moment: I Can't Stay Long
Best lyric: Some of Them
Most influential track: The Quiet Men
I disagree on "Some of them"... the lyrics are a little bit too vague even for JF... for me it's the (relatively) weakest moment of the album.

Best lyric for me: Just for a moment.
I love "When you walk through me" - I always thought it was a song about a very good drug trip ! nutjob

#2760 - Thu, 18 Nov 2004 02:49:00 Re: Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
Chris C Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Luca:

[/qb]
I disagree on "Some of them"... the lyrics are a little bit too vague even for JF... for me it's the (relatively) weakest moment of the album.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Luca

biglaugh

John would agree. wink

Luca we should call John to appear on the Forum around XMAS. It'll be nice for us fans. Particularly those who have admired him for so many years.

excited excited
That'll be breaking a record!!! ha

ciao!

Chris C

#2761 - Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:43:00 Re: Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
apieceoffurniture Offline

Loc: USA
Beg to differ !!
smile
I cant see "Some of Them " as being vague . bemused

In fact it doesn't stand out as being anything different to what John normally does . I mean everything what John does is different ...If u know what I mean. excited

#2762 - Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:09:00 Re: Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
Luca Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Luca we should call John to appear on the Forum around XMAS. It'll be nice for us fans. Particularly those who have admired him for so many years.
Does he know it's Christmas? laugh

#2763 - Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:18:00 Re: Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
Chris C Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Luca:
Quote:
[b]Luca we should call John to appear on the Forum around XMAS. It'll be nice for us fans. Particularly those who have admired him for so many years.
Does he know it's Christmas? laugh [/b]
In suus Basilica. Deus beatus vos John! wink

Chris C

#2764 - Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:17:00 Re: Just been listening to Systems of Romance...
Shadow Man Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
I have no favourite track from this album -
ILIKE THE HOLE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha