Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#2552 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:47:00 Live DVD
glasgowlad Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Glasgow
Just a quick question, do you think there will ever be a live DVD released

#2553 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:09:00 Re: Live DVD
Alex S Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Sheffield, UK
It's an interesting question - though I would doubt John sees the point in doing one.

There' isn't much happening on stage at John's gigs, beyond Louis' bouncing - it's better to be at a gig rather than to watch one at home. So unless John toured with more musicians or did something VERY visual, then personally I don't think there's much point in a live DVD.

One of the Exotour shows was profesionally filmed but remains the private property of Mr Foxx, for what ever reason.

A live album might be better - live, as in with an audience, not in a room!

#2554 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:31:00 Re: Live DVD
Cromlech Offline

Loc: Wales :the lumpy bit on the si...
I think there are great creative possibilities for John's live performances...particularly given the background projection content of the last tour.

Visually, I could envisage a concert DVD that faded from live performance to full screen versions of the projected film, depending on the point in the music at the time.

Further, given JF and Louis penchant for seriously mixing performance audio to near-studio recording production standards, it wouldn't neccessarily sound like a standard gig recording.

The big questions are does JF want to, and would it be profitable to do so.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to knock-out a run of 5000 CDs that it is DVDs. The post production required wouldn't be that cheap too.

viking

#2555 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:33:00 Re: Live DVD
Cromlech Offline

Loc: Wales :the lumpy bit on the si...
As posted elsewhere, a Tiny Colour Movies DVD would be great.

John's music and old 16mm film.

Nice.

viking

#2556 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:35:00 Re: Live DVD
Havocman Offline

Loc: Moving westwards as soon as po...
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
There' isn't much happening on stage at John's gigs
There's not much happening on stage at a Kraftwerk gig but the "Minimum Maximum" DVD is superb. I wasn't able to go to any of the recent gigs but, if John did use interesting back projections then I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to do something similar to Kraftwerk. smile

#2557 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:52:00 Re: Live DVD
glasgowlad Offline

Quote:
It's an interesting question - though I would doubt John sees the point in doing one.

There' isn't much happening on stage at John's gigs, beyond Louis' bouncing - it's better to be at a gig rather than to watch one at home. So unless John toured with more musicians or did something VERY visual, then personally I don't think there's much point in a live DVD.

One of the Exotour shows was profesionally filmed but remains the private property of Mr Foxx, for what ever reason.

A live album might be better - live, as in with an audience, not in a room!
Louis bouncing lol yeah he did a lot of bouncing about at the Glasgow gig

#2558 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:58:00 Re: Live DVD
glasgowlad Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Havocman:
Quote:
[b]There' isn't much happening on stage at John's gigs
There's not much happening on stage at a Kraftwerk gig but the "Minimum Maximum" DVD is superb. I wasn't able to go to any of the recent gigs but, if John did use interesting back projections then I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to do something similar to Kraftwerk. smile [/b]
Yeah I completely agree mate, I have the Kraftwerk DVD as well and its great but then again Kraftwerk have a lot more tracks that I enjoy

#2559 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:13:00 Re: Live DVD
Havocman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by glasgowlad:
Yeah I completely agree mate, I have the Kraftwerk DVD as well and its great but then again Kraftwerk have a lot more tracks that I enjoy
Don't let any of the JF fans hear you say that! wink

#2560 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:45:00 Re: Live DVD
Alex S Offline

I haven't seen the Kraftwerk DVD - I only have the live album, but I can see what they did from the photos in there and I can see that it must work brilliantly for their shows.

I agree something similar (obviosuly not the same!) would work well for John.

There is a huge visual side to John's music, which is largely left to our imaginations at the moment - the visual possibilities are endless... Cathedral Oceans... Tiny Colour Movies... Crash & Burn... all these stills and artwork imagery....

#2561 - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:59:00 Re: Live DVD
Havocman Offline

Quote:
I haven't seen the Kraftwerk DVD - I only have the live album, but I can see what they did from the photos in there and I can see that it must work brilliantly for their shows.

I agree something similar (obviosuly not the same!) would work well for John.

There is a huge visual side to John's music, which is largely left to our imaginations at the moment - the visual possibilities are endless... Cathedral Oceans... Tiny Colour Movies... Crash & Burn... all these stills and artwork imagery....
If I remember correctly, on "The Hidden Man" he mentions wanting to work with back projections at gigs and also how easy it is to create and distribute DVD's these days. Fingers crossed I suspect. smile

#2562 - Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:17:00 Re: Live DVD
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Problem is that Kraftwerk generally perform on larger stages and have a big budgets for their screens and projections. They look ace (and the DVD is one of the best I've heard to....), but I doubt John could really justify the expense.

#2563 - Sun, 17 Sep 2006 04:57:00 Re: Live DVD
birdsong Offline

Loc: southampton
Agreed. It's a different league.

I was doing some maths the other day.
On the recent tour, John and Louis played to what, 200 people each night? Charging c£7 a ticket?
That makes maybe £1500 for the show.
I'm guessing now, but say £1000 expenses etc leaving £250 each for the artists?? Hardly raking it in...
And I wondered how many CDs were sold and how many are left over??
200ish people at each of 12 gigs. 3000 people tops?
I suspect they will have sold considerably less than 1000 of each CD during the tour. Which would explain the cheap packaging frown

I'd love to see a professionally made live DVD (no disrespect to the recent bootleg but it is precisely that... single hand held camera, same angle, no editing, not exactly 5.1 surround sound etc) but sales wouldn't justify the expense.
Where would the audience be outside those of us who have seen the shows?? It's a considerable expense to go to just to preach to the converted.

Blimey, I'm ranting this evening wink

#2564 - Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:16:00 Re: Live DVD
feline1 Offline
Pass level: Manager

the Kraftwerk "Maximum-Minimum" DVD is not bad, but I do wish the camera would occasionally go over Florian Schneider's shoulder more often - you get these tantalising glimpses of what he's actually doing! But too brief. Secretive git.

#2565 - Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:51:00 Re: Live DVD
Si_W Offline

This quote is taken from my review of the DVD:

There’s just something about this band. I don’t know what it is, but they have it. They have a stage presence that is both mystifying and mesmerising at the same time. Kraftwerk look for all the world like bank managers stood behind a podium with a laptop on, except there’s four of them in a line and there’s no boring PowerPoint presentation on the screen behind them. You don’t get to see much of their consoles, so for all we know they could just be playing solitaire or IM’ing each other. They are oddly endearing though, the sight of Hütter raising his hand to his mouth for his vocals and the sight of feet tapping from most of them just has something that pulls you to them. Schneider is almost the personification of The Robots that the band use during their costume change, I don’t think he moves or changes his facial expression at all. Despite this, you know you are watching masters of their craft and can only watch in complete awe.

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/reviews/review.asp?Index=4966&User=35366

#2566 - Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:47:00 Re: Live DVD
Alex S Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
the Kraftwerk "Maximum-Minimum" DVD is not bad, but I do wish the camera would occasionally go over Florian Schneider's shoulder more often - you get these tantalising glimpses of what he's actually doing! But too brief. Secretive git.
Watching his tracks and loops playing in Logic maybe? wink

#2567 - Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:12:00 Re: Live DVD
Rena Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Magdeburg, Deutschland
Quote:
Originally posted by glasgowlad:
Just a quick question, do you think there will ever be a live DVD released
as long as there are no gigs in germany I would buy no such things as a live DVD! mad

#2568 - Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:19:00 Re: Live DVD
Si_W Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rena:
as long as there are no gigs in germany I would buy no such things as a live DVD! mad
I'm sure if you raised the money to make it worth his while, he'd fit it in and go.

You have to remember that JF is a niche artist, he doesn't have wide appeal and tours cost money, even the small club ones...

#2569 - Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:12:00 Re: Live DVD
Rena Offline

Do gigs in Italy or the Netherlands cost less than in Germany? I doubt it!

#2570 - Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:06:00 Re: Live DVD
Shadow Man Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Quote:
I can completely understand you feeling pissed about he comes not. For me it was the same and I struggled with my decision to travel to a gig again if it seems to be not important for him to come over to Germany too. I must say I'm dissapointed about only 3 Europe dates. Italy is OK for me 'cause I know about some people there who are very happy of John comes for a gig. LUCA, GLORIA, ROGER - I WISH YOU A GREAT TIME.

But I'm not sure with the Netherlands. As far as I know there is no fan on Ex. V. here...

But I know about some German's on Ex. V.....

I assumed he will do a bigger Europe tour after he made a tour in UK in July.

So, I travel to UK again - it is the same for me to travel to UK, Italy or Netherlands 'cause all is expensive to go to.

I would prefer to have costs only for a ticket - and not for flight and hotel and, and... too.

Sure; I can stay at home - but there is no John.

BUT HE CAN STOP IN HAMBURG ON HIS WAY BACK FROM ITALY... laugh nervouslaugh :rolleyes:

#2571 - Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:02:00 Re: Live DVD
Si_W Offline

Quote:
Would depend I guess on the local promotion team, how much interest there is, how many tickets are sold and guarantees on recovering expenses.

Sure there's more to it than that, but that's my opinion...

#2572 - Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:06:00 Re: Live DVD
Rena Offline

Andreas to whichever concert you might be going: have loads of fun!!!
PLEASE take some pics to show me... a report about the gig would be great, too!

I am obivously not the only one being dissapointed. And you´re absolutely right: i gig in Amsterdam is not necessary and should be replaced with one in Germany.

#2573 - Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:13:00 Re: Live DVD
Craig Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Peterborough
Dear Shadow Andreas,
I can see the problem, but there is a flipside - David Hasselhoff ALWAYS plays in Germany, and NEVER in the UK - us fans of 'The Hoff' have to travel to Germany to see him!!!!! Unless of course he's weeing himself at one of our airports!
Cheers excited

#2574 - Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:19:00 Re: Live DVD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ahh, yes, David Hasselhoff. Rest assured Craig, I'm sure I speak for us all here on this one in letting you know we share your pain, truly...

nervouslaugh

#2575 - Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:58:00 Re: Live DVD
Shadow Man Offline

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Craig:
<strong>Dear Shadow Andreas,
I can see the problem, but there is a flipside - David Hasselhoff ALWAYS plays in Germany, and NEVER in the UK - us fans of 'The Hoff' have to travel to Germany to see him!!!!! Unless of course he's weeing himself at one of our airports!
Cheers lmao

Great Point Craig! But David is not so good in singing UNDERPASS as John , I assume... laugh

Otherwise I cannot imagine John sings "LOOKING FOR FREEDOM"... lmao

Thanks again for the boot! I play it the hole day
the last three days. smile

#2576 - Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:05:00 Re: Live DVD
Shadow Man Offline

Quote:
Andreas to whichever concert you might be going: have loads of fun!!!
PLEASE take some pics to show me... a report about the gig would be great, too!

I am obivously not the only one being dissapointed. And you´re absolutely right: i gig in Amsterdam is not necessary and should be replaced with one in Germany.
I go to the London show on 26th Nov. + if it is sure it will happen, I go to Brighton too.
Perhaps I can make some photos - if yes, I send you a couple.
I'm hopefully John comes one day to Germany again . If he do that, he should go to big cities and not into the province, like Bielefeld. I think he can sell more tickets then...

#2577 - Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:35:00 Re: Live DVD
METAL BEAT Offline

Loc: Watford
A Live DVD would be great but I doubt though I'd watch it much. I much prefer to listen on CD.

I like your maths Birdsong in your earlier post. I'd guess you're probably about right. I guess there were only 100 to 120 people at Sheffield but 400 to 500 at the Scala at £14 pound a ticket.
Peter

#2578 - Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:49:00 Re: Live DVD
Shadow Man Offline

100 to 120 people? This was the same as in Bielefeld in 2002... So it seems to be enough for a gig?!

I find it hard to watch a hole gig DVDof John & Louis. There is not much happen on the stage . The same is it for me with the Kraftwerk DVD.
The concert was great and I like the music a lot. But to watch the hole gig DVD is a bit balmy at the end.

If John would release a DVD it would be nice he would make a mix with live tracks, Interviews and video tracks. I think this would be more enjoyable to watch. But it's only my opinion and I can be wrong...