Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#2240 - Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:52:00 Metatronic... revealed!
robak Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Herts
Hi, this just popped into the ol' inbox from Townsend, amazed it's not already here and being wowwed at smile

CD1 -
Underpass (Extended Version)
This City
No-One Driving
Burning Car
The Noise
Everyone
When It Rains
Automobile
Broken Furniture (Single Version)
Drive (Single Version)
Once In A While
From Trash
Never Let Me Go
Smokescreen
Cinemascope
Phone Tap
Smoke

CD2 -
Crash & Burn (Live In Sydney 2008)
Uptown/Downtown (Live In Sydney 2008)
The Man Who Dies Every Day (Live In Sydney 2008)
Hiroshima Mon Amour (Live In Sydney 2008)
Underpass (Live In Sydney 2008)
From Trash (Live In Sydney 2008)
Shadow Man (Live In Sydney 2008)
My Sex (Live In Sydney 2008)
Burning Car (Early Version)
Underpass (Mark Reeder Sinister Subway Mix)
Dislocated (Jussi Pekka's Pointed On A Map Remix)
20th Century (Dubterror vs Karborn mix)

DVD -
Underpass (B&W Version)
He's A Liquid
No-One Driving
Smokescreen
Underpass (Mark Reeder's Sinister Subway Mix)
The Noise (VH1 session)
Shifting City (Live in 1998)

I don't know about you, but at that price fro the new live material and DVD - definitely worth a punt smile

A B&W version of Underpass, though? New one on me. Is the colour one missing, perhaps, or perhaps not the version of John's original choosing?

Rob

#2241 - Wed, 24 Mar 2010 02:22:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
Brian Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: 6 "Miles away" from ...
John's Blog has a lot more on this here:-

http://blog.thequietman.co.uk/

Foxxy is also Tweeting here:-

http://twitter.com/foxxmetamedia

Brian

#2242 - Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:11:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
robak Offline

Ah, will have to have a squizz at those.

Ta!

Rob

#2243 - Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:27:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
Vladimir Offline

Loc: Russia, Moscow suburb, the cit...
As much as I like John, this is ridiculous. Yet another double-disc compilation of his works - a year or two after the first one! But that's not the main thing - the main thing is that WHY those
"Metamatic" era tracks weren't on the "deluxe edition"?! It had lots of space to include the extended and early versions (extended Underpass is only ~30 sec. longer than the album version, it seems). OK, bonus disc was great but lots of stuff has been left out (extended "Plaza" etc.) and now it keeps popping up on these compilations. Looks like it's the main selling point (those modern remixes are surely the last thing a fan would want to hear).

Why couldn't he (or anyone who did the track list work) gather all the stuff on that 2-CD Metamatic release? Just don't get it... frown

#2244 - Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:49:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
1.Outside Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Birmingham
Perhaps this arrangement maximises income from his fans and other more casual purchasers?

#2245 - Fri, 26 Mar 2010 02:13:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
robak Offline

I know what you mean Vladimir, as everytime I spot a missing track or two on something like this, I expect it to then appear on something else later on, so I think we're all hard-bitten and cynical now.

However, as with the other hot topic over that ticket promo elsewhere, it is a commercial work, and John is obviously trying to appeal to different sets of people with his compilations, and anniversary releases are always derigeur, especially if they tie-in with a special show showcasing such work like Analogue at the Roundhouse.

Annoying, maybe, but understandable too.

Rob

#2246 - Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:58:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
Rob Harris Offline

Loc: Ledbury, UK
I'll start this post off by apologizing. I don't usually 'rant' (no, really I don't), but in this instance I feel I've been left with very little choice on the matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vladimir:
As much as I like John, this is ridiculous. Yet another double-disc compilation of his works - a year or two after the first one! But that's not the main thing - the main thing is that WHY those "Metamatic" era tracks weren't on the "deluxe edition"?! It had lots of space to include the extended and early versions (extended Underpass is only ~30 sec. longer than the album version, it seems). OK, bonus disc was great but lots of stuff has been left out (extended "Plaza" etc.) and now it keeps popping up on these compilations. Looks like it's the main selling point (those modern remixes are surely the last thing a fan would want to hear).

Why couldn't he (or anyone who did the track list work) gather all the stuff on that 2-CD Metamatic release? Just don't get it... frown
The master tapes to the two tracks you seem to have issue with here (the Early Version of Burning Car and the Extended Version of Underpass) were only uncovered after both the double disc edition of Metamatic and the Glimmer compilation album had already been released.

In an ideal world, all of the material written / recorded / produced by an artist would be 'in one place'. It would also be on one common format. However, for a million and one reasons, this is not always possible. In this instance, two Metamatic-era tracks have only recently come to light, and while it would be quite easy to simply not release them (and that way no-one would be any the wiser as to their existence), it's been decided to add them to Metatronic instead - and yet it seems that that decision is not right either. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. frown

Also, just because there's potentially 76 minutes worth of 'space' on a CD is really no reason to fill it all up. An album (even of 'bonus material') has to flow and sound good. This was certainly the approach that was taken with the second discs for Metamatic, The Garden, The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways. Ultimately 'bonus' material is only of worth including if it adds something to an artists catalogue.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.Outside:
Perhaps this arrangement maximises income from his fans and other more casual purchasers?
You're right in that these albums have to be assembled with two types of person in mind - the casual purchaser and the die-hard fan. The casual purchaser wants to hear all of the 'hit singles', while the die-hard fan wants material which they've never heard before. This in turn has to be balanced against making the item good value for money - IE, lots of (preferably unique) content, but at very little cost to the consumer. In this instance Metatronic is set to retail for a fraction over 10.00 - not bad for two CDs and a DVD.

Quote:
Originally posted by robak:
I know what you mean Vladimir, as everytime I spot a missing track or two on something like this, I expect it to then appear on something else later on, so I think we're all hard-bitten and cynical now.
I'm really sorry to hear that you feel hard-bitten and cynical... frown

I can assure you that tracks aren't 'held-back' or 'deliberately omitted' just so as another album can be put together at a later date which people will be 'obliged' to buy to keep their collections complete. frown

A while ago there was a particularly long-running thread on this forum about the track-listing for the recent double disc edition of Lament. Because of the constraints which had to be adhered to (only the basic album on disc one, associated extra tracks on disc two, everything else available only as a download) a decision was reached as to what tracks should appear where. Some people loved it - and were happy with the choices that were made, while some people hated it - and thought that the record company was out to rip people off. However, despite all of this NO-ONE was able to provide an alternative solution which kept everyone happy. And why was that? Quite simple really, no matter what you do (no matter what) there will always be someone who thinks (thinks!) that they can do better. frown

Going back a little further in time... when the double disc edition of Metamatic was being assembled, an on-line store announced what they believed the track-listing to be before it had actually been finalised. One of these tracks was listed as TBC - this stood for To Be Confirmed - and yet, all these months / years later I still get the odd E-Mail asking whatever happened to that track and when will it be released.

Rob

#2247 - Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:41:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
In this instance [b]Metatronic is set to retail for a fraction over 10.00 - not bad for two CDs and a DVD.

[/b]
currently on play.com for 7.99 - bargain

#2248 - Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:45:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by david L.:
Quote:
[b] In this instance [b]Metatronic is set to retail for a fraction over 10.00 - not bad for two CDs and a DVD.

[/b]
currently on play.com for 7.99 - bargain [/b]
or at least it was this morning - Has gone up to 10.99 in past few hours.

#2249 - Sat, 27 Mar 2010 02:27:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
robak Offline

Rob,

You should know me far, far better than that. Look at my initial post - "Definitely worth a punt". I'm hardly going to change my tune mere hours later.

Sorry, I should have been more specific - it does sound like I'm grouping Metatronic in with everything else. The curse of e-mail. When I was talking about the usual track holding back tricks that seem to go on, I assumed (yes, I know the old adage!) that people would know, based on things I've said in the past, that I was talking about the way other companies handle back catalogue reissues, but I can see what was in the mind's eye didn't quite get there.

I was certainly not referring to anything EV has been involved in - I know how hard you work to get material to fit logically across releases, which is why I was never critical about Lamemt, as that was an impossible case to resolve within the format you had to stick to.

And, as you say, sometimes material does come to light later on. After all, many artists can't recall everything they've recorded as the years go by, and even fans aren't aware of everything, even if it is from a well bootlegged band, like the Beatles, say. But that's another can of worms that we'll leave shut, I think smile

My point, really, was that outside of what you've all been involved in, sometimes one suspects that some things are kept back to drip, drip, future earnings from a catalogue.

But, to re-stress, I know that you always plan very, very carefully.

Absolutely no offence intended... I'm hurt that you're hurt now smile

Actually, been i've been meaning to say, and this is as good a time as any, that you all must be quite pleased/flattered by how other teams at EMI have started adopting some of the elements you developed on the Ultravox reissues of late. Such as the adapted, contrasting colour, original record labels used first two Spandau CDs, the fact extra tracks are now annotated (although slightly confusingly to the novice) as to where they originated, and that the original LP catalogue numbers have also been reinstated with an upgrade suffix. The two Duran box sets that plopped on the mat ahead of release this on Saturday, have also switched to using their original numbers too, I see.

Mind you, they managed to miss a track off the Spandau debut - the 12" of Musclebound - which marks that down rather. Perhaps they thought it was the same as the album cut, but it has the extra music rolling back in at the end as the single does too. This is the kind of disappointment I had in mind when writing earlier, and as for Visage's recent disc... oy!

Rob

#2250 - Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:53:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
stufarq Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Here
Quote:
A B&W version of Underpass, though? New one on me. Is the colour one missing, perhaps, or perhaps not the version of John's original choosing?

Rob
Weren't both versions around at the time? I've certainly seen both on YouTube and, in fact, I was familiar with the b&w version long before I knew there was a colour one.

Is there any likelihood of his other videos getting a release? There was definitely one for Dancing Like A Gun and I've a feeling there were some others too although I can't remember which ones offhand.

#2251 - Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:07:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
Rob Harris Offline

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by stufarq:
Quote:
[b] A B&W version of Underpass, though? New one on me. Is the colour one missing, perhaps, or perhaps not the version of John's original choosing?

Rob
Weren't both versions around at the time? I've certainly seen both on YouTube and, in fact, I was familiar with the b&w version long before I knew there was a colour one.[/b]
The colour version of Underpass was created to coincide with the single's original release. The black and white version of Underpass was created about ten (or so) years ago - I forget the exact date.

Quote:
Originally posted by stufarq:
Is there any likelihood of his other videos getting a release? There was definitely one for Dancing Like A Gun and I've a feeling there were some others too although I can't remember which ones offhand.
Yes, the other videos will get an official release - most likely on Metadelic which (all things being equal) will be released later this year. Work has already started on putting that album together.

Rob

#2252 - Sat, 01 May 2010 09:05:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
robak Offline

Got mine today - good ol' HMV again.

Now to find some time to listen to it smile

Very nicely presented.

Roll on Metadelic!

Rob

#2253 - Sat, 01 May 2010 16:18:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
Brian Offline

Quote:
Got mine today - good ol' HMV again.

Now to find some time to listen to it smile

Very nicely presented.

Roll on Metadelic!

Rob
Hoping mine arrives today.Have you discovered the extra track?

#2254 - Sun, 02 May 2010 04:59:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
robak Offline

No, I'll have to skip through it - only got to watch the DVD post Dr. Who earlier on smile

So, spoilers ahead wink

Well, a nice extra, but a bit annoying there's no play all option on the disc.

The older tracks have obviously suffered a lot of damage over the years - rather onbviously in comparison with the VH1 session and live track - so it's a shame that no restoration appears to have been applied... although I appreciate that it gets very expensive, very quickly when you have a lot of artefacts to remove.

There's some video interference-banding too, most noticeably across No-One Driving, which I don't recall before, but then I haven't pulled the original video to see if it was on there too.

Other than that, a great way to gather together some quite disparate visual material alongside the audio, and I must immediately admit to being pleasantly surprised not to actually dislike the Dave Reeder remix of Underpass compared to some of the other remixes that have appeared in recent years.

Absolutely worth the money, and the double case set is rather handsome too.

Rob

P.S. Do I admit that I also bought Edsel's (first UK?) release of the first two Heatwave albums too, and which arrived alongside Metatronic? Ah, too late... smile Whilst not a huge disco fan, I've always loved the keyboards on Boogie Nights, and to get the pre-commercial 12" promo remix as well is a nice bonus.

#2255 - Mon, 03 May 2010 09:40:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
stufarq Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Here
HMV, Play, CDWow and Amazon are all selling Metatronis for less than 10 now.
Quote:
The colour version of [b]Underpass was created to coincide with the single's original release. The black and white version of Underpass was created about ten (or so) years ago - I forget the exact date.

Yes, the other videos will get an official release - most likely on Metadelic which (all things being equal) will be released later this year. Work has already started on putting that album together.

Rob [/b]
Great. Thanks, Rob.

#2256 - Tue, 11 May 2010 03:01:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
robak Offline

Brian, what extra track?

On the DVD, I presume?

Rob

#2257 - Tue, 11 May 2010 03:42:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
Brian Offline

It turned out to be a 5.1 mix of Underpass

#2258 - Tue, 11 May 2010 04:18:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
robak Offline

Ah, and there was I, thinking I must be really stupid not being able to find something 'hidden' - thanks for putting me out of my misery. Even I spotted that one on the menu smile

Rob

#2259 - Wed, 12 May 2010 16:51:00 Re: Metatronic... revealed!
Eurofighter Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: AUSTRALIA
Where is 'Swimmer 1'?
Makes the original UK 1st issue 1993 Virgin CD (CDV2146) highly collectable!

Eurofighter