Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#2020 - Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:15:00 An Italian connection
Luca Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Italy
Hi all,

I just discovered that in 1988, after listening to the demos of an Italian band, JF got so interested that he made contact with the group asking them to be their producer.
Unofortunately Virgin Italy, despite several attempts by JF himself, refused to sign a contract with the band (BTW they had already published three albums and a handful of singles) stating that they were not interested and that the current Italian music scene did not justify such a venture.

As a result, the album was published by an independent label, without a JF production, but with a very Foxxian cover including a "thank you" note for Mr. John Foxx.

The full story (in Italian)
Front cover
Back cover

Ciao,
Luca

#2021 - Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:21:00 Re: An Italian connection
METAL BEAT Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Watford
Hi Luca
Thank you for this. The cover has, in my opinion similarities to the Systems of Romance era.
Regards smile
Peter

#2022 - Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:46:00 Re: An Italian connection
Shadow Man Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Thanks Luca for posting this here.
It seems John had worked as a producer sometimes in the past...

I know about Pressure Points from Anne Clark
and "The Boys from Ipanema" from Antena (I don't know how much John drunk to produce this crap song! I love all things I know about John done but this is horrible - this is the blot on the white shirt of the master...)

But Pressure Points is well done for my opinion...

Bye, Andreas smile

#2023 - Sat, 05 Mar 2005 04:51:00 Re: An Italian connection
birdsong Offline

Loc: southampton
What an exciting discovery. Thanks so much, Luca!

John Foxx is thanked for exclusive 'what'? my Italian just isn't!
Perhaps someone could translate the story for us???
I agree with the above - very typical of John's cover designs and not "Miles Away" from ideas he has explored before.

1988 was an interesting year for John then. This was at the time of his Cathedral Oceans tour too. Didn't that happen in Europe as well as some UK churches?
I understand he lived in Belgium and Italy for a while...

#2024 - Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:52:00 Re: An Italian connection
Luca Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by birdsong:
John Foxx is thanked for exclusive 'what'? my Italian just isn't!

He is thanked for showing exclusive interest and availability. As for "the full story", there really isn't much more than what I already wrote.

I seem to remember that Cathedral Oceans was recorded in Rome - a strange choice for an English musician. I suspect he has several friends in Italy.
Ciao,
Luca

#2025 - Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:02:00 Re: An Italian connection
Meriseth Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Genoa Italy

[/qb]
I seem to remember that Cathedral Oceans was recorded in Rome - a strange choice for an English musician. I suspect he has several friends in Italy.[/QUOTE]Ciao,
Luca[/QB][/QUOTE]

As far as I know, he lived in Florence and Vinci (the Tuscan village where Leonardo was born) as John as always been a great admirer of Leonardo. Of course he has friends in Italy! I'd just like to know who they are. This must be one of those case of "six grades of separation". My grandfather was from Florence...

Gloria