Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#1516 - Thu, 04 Jan 2007 04:45:00 Systems of Romance
caz_dublin Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Well, I finally got around to purchasing this album and I have to say, I like it! I am predominantly a UreVox fan but I really enjoyed listening to SOR.

The way I see it is - they are two different eras of the band and neither are bad. The FoxxVox sound is still so fresh after all these years which is a credit to the band and its singer. I love John's voice - so different than Midges. Some quality tracks on the album and Slow Motion and Quiet Man are my faves so far - still have to give it a really good listen.

Anyway, just thought I would post and share my thoughts - which are open for discussion. I also got the Island Years so I am almost getting there - only a couple more albums to go....

laugh wink wink

#1517 - Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:43:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Your Shadow Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Liverpool
Caroline, I can still remember the first time I heard SOR in December '81. Hearing Slow Motion made the hairs on my neck stand up. Up to then I'd only heard Vienna and Rage In Eden. I was blown away.Ever since I've followed John's output as intently as Ultravox's.

#1518 - Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:15:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Natalie Offline

Loc: London, UK
I see them almost as two separate bands; as you say, both lead vocals are so different. Also, the music style is very different, particularly 'Ultravox!' and 'Ha! Ha! Ha!'

Have you heard those albums yet, Caz?

#1519 - Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:45:00 Re: Systems of Romance
caz_dublin Offline

Yeah exactly Natalie! I havent gotten around to getting them yet but I will get them asap - just need to get the dosh put aside for them LOL Joys of being a student! laugh wink

#1520 - Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:58:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Natalie Offline

Loc: London, UK
I recently got copies of all 3 early albums from a shop called 'Fopp' for 5 each. There's a branch on Westbourne Grove, but it might be a chain, so you might find one more convenient to you.

#1521 - Thu, 04 Jan 2007 23:57:00 Re: Systems of Romance
caz_dublin Offline

Great - thanx very much for that info Natalie! laugh

#1522 - Fri, 05 Jan 2007 03:06:00 Re: Systems of Romance
METAL BEAT Offline

Loc: Watford
When I first heard SOR many years ago I remember, Quiet Men, Dislocation and Slow Motion blew me away. I enjoyed that album so much that I went and brought Ultravox and Ha Ha Ha almost straight away. Although they had a totally different style to SOR the music was like nothing I'd heard before. I was hooked. Then I ended up buying the 7" singles that were still available and I became obsessed. banghead

regards
Peter

#1523 - Fri, 05 Jan 2007 23:28:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Nils Offline

Loc: Bremen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by METAL BEAT:
When I first heard SOR many years ago I remember, Quiet Men, Dislocation and Slow Motion blew me away.
But "I remember" was not on SoR wink .

Sorry, I just HAD to take that opportunity laugh .

#1524 - Sat, 06 Jan 2007 03:49:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Nils:
But "I remember" was not on SoR wink .

Sorry, I just HAD to take that opportunity laugh .
Hahaha, served up and smashed into the back of the net...

#1525 - Tue, 09 Jan 2007 05:41:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Graeme Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Yorkshire
I've said it before and I'll say it again I think all the foxxvox albums but particularly SOR (Which is a very mportant British pop record historically speaking), really do still stand up to a listen today.

Sorry but I just can't feel the same about the urevox records apart from one or two isolated tracks.

That said, I think Urevox was the time when Billy Currie rally shone and I'd love to hear something from him which draws on that musical legacy and develops it further.

#1526 - Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:27:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Shadow Man Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Systems of Romance is an fantastic album and I never be tired of listen to it again. The same is for Ultravox! and Ha! Ha! Ha! .

It is great John & Louis play some tracks of them today - this is the highlight on every concert for me!! smile

Perhaps it is hard to realise the "magic" of these albums if you listen to it in these days for the first time. But if you grew up with them they are all time classic's!!! Absolut amazing in "their" time. For me, they never lost their high quality.
smile

#1527 - Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:54:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Your Shadow Offline

Loc: Liverpool
I agree Andreas. Many of the sounds and arrangements on SOR may not sound so exciting to a newcomer listening to these tracks now.However at the time of it's release, mixing rock and electronics was still relatively new and exciting. Slow Motion captured Gary Numan's imagination enough to inspire his use of electronics.

#1528 - Wed, 10 Jan 2007 03:05:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Graeme:
Sorry but I just can't feel the same about the urevox records apart from one or two isolated tracks.
See, for me it's the opposite. Aside from SOR, I only really like (not love...) isolated tracks from the FoxxVox era.

SOR isn't too inspiring to me from a synth perspective strangely enough though, it's the guitar playing in conjunction with the synth that does it for me. Does that make sense?

#1529 - Wed, 10 Jan 2007 03:58:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Brian Offline

Loc: 6 "Miles away" from ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Si_W:
Quote:
[b]Sorry but I just can't feel the same about the urevox records apart from one or two isolated tracks.
See, for me it's the opposite. Aside from SOR, I only really like (not love...) isolated tracks from the FoxxVox era.

SOR isn't too inspiring to me from a synth perspective strangely enough though, it's the guitar playing in conjunction with the synth that does it for me. Does that make sense? [/b]
It does make sense to me,its about the blend of guitar & synth.I like SOR for the these reasons but I've also grown in my liking for Ultravox & Ha! Ha! Ha1 over the years.I've come to appreciate the quality of the lyrics & the songs on them but the first 2 albums do sound like 70s records.

When I got the remastered versions they blew me away all over again.SOR though is the best,if I start playing it once I have to play it 10 times.

As for the question does it stand up to today,yes SOR does.I played it to my younger brother for the first time a few months back & he's had to buy it.He's become quite a bit of a John & Louis fan because of this.

As for Urevox I'm only really keen on Vienna & Rage in Eden.My appetite for the other albums has diminished over the years.

Brian

#1530 - Wed, 10 Jan 2007 04:37:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Nils Offline

Loc: Bremen, Germany
Quote:
I was about to say the same.

#1531 - Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:25:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Graeme Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Sorry but I just can't feel the same about the urevox records apart from one or two isolated tracks.
it's the guitar playing in conjunction with the synth that does it for me. Does that make sense? [/b]
Yep, makes perfect sense and I think one of the main reasons I like the record. Felt similar about Magazine's muic at the time too - Dve Formula with John McGeoch - great foils for each other in the same way (only very different) Billy and Robin were on SOR

#1532 - Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:26:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Graeme Offline

#1533 - Sun, 14 Jan 2007 01:32:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Shadow Man Offline

Quote:
[QUOTE] Felt similar about Magazine's muic at the time too - Dve Formula with John McGeoch - great foils for each other in the same way (only very different) Billy and Robin were on SOR
Agreed!! This is the reason I love listen to Magazine too. Their four album's are classic's too! My favourite is SECONDHAND DAYLIGHT!
wink

#1534 - Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:15:00 Re: Systems of Romance
psychocandy Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: helsinki
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again I think all the foxxvox albums but particularly SOR (Which is a very mportant British pop record historically speaking), really do still stand up to a listen today.

I've always preferred Foxx to Ure, but my 2 favourite albums are still Rage In Eden and Vienna.

#1535 - Mon, 15 Jan 2007 01:33:00 Re: Systems of Romance
robert Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: london
While browsing in the latest record collector it seems the magazine albums are up for reissue later in the year.

#1536 - Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:40:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Steve Roby Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
My favourite is SECONDHAND DAYLIGHT!
wink [/QB]
That's a classic, all right. I think I'll put that on after I'm done listening to Severed Heads.

Another circa 1980 synth + guitar favourite of mine: the first Urban Verbs album (produced by Mike Thorne, who worked with Wire, Colin Newman, Soft Cell, Bronski Beat....) I'll have to get that one out too.

#1537 - Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:37:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Shadow Man Offline

Had anyone listened to Magazine's "Maybe it's right to be nervous now" ?
It's a 3 CD box set with rarities - one of it includes all their Peel sessions. GREAT SOUND!!! wink

#1538 - Fri, 20 Jul 2007 05:53:00 Re: Systems of Romance
Emulator Offline

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
It was the album that really got me into them. Ironically I heard Slow Motion one night on the late John Peel's show on Radio One although I think that line-up (mark 2) had broken up by then. This would be around the summer of 79 or so, about a year after the album was first released.

I think I was at the height of my manicdom between then and 82 or so and used to listen to SOR nearly every day...for at least eighteen months! I actually wore the vinyl out! Seeing both Foxx himself do tracks from it as well as Ultravox with Ure was quite something. I even saw Humania do I Can't Stay Long at the Marquee. Top nights!

It's an exquisite piece of work and just shows how much creativity they had then but how little commercial success.

World-class album.