Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#12575 - Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:52:00 On Broadway
Joby Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Louth, UK
The best synth solo bar none...respect.

#12576 - Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:23:00 Re: On Broadway
SlowMo' Offline

Loc: West Sussex
Joby... I have to agree, this solo sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it - I've sat people down between two speakers and forced them to listen to it..

it is indeed awesome. I challenge anyone to come up with a better suggestion!!

#12577 - Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:19:00 Re: On Broadway
CONNY'S PIG Offline

Loc: Sunderland
Agreed Phil. Funnily enough I reckon that synth-solo is better than anything he put onto an Ultravox record. Really, it was THAT good.

I've been after a boot recording from the '79 tour apart from the September 28th gig where that solo was recorded. Haven't found one as yet and would like to compare.

So, did Numan just play that song as a one-off at Hammersmith or not.

Answers on a postcard....... smile

#12578 - Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:05:00 Re: On Broadway
Chris C Offline

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
What a performance by Billy! This was only 1979. Before touring with Midge and the rest of the boys and recording the Visage album. Billy perhaps was at his best. Remember Fade to Grey came from that tour (Gary Numan). I reckon Vienna must have been written later on that year. wink

John (Foxx) was also on a crest of wave and made the synth a premium during that year by recording the legendary Metamatic plus other unreleased tracks( John we want them officially released. Stop playing silly games!!!) :rolleyes:

Ash I'll also look around for a similar bootleg of the Tour. It'll be interesting to compare.

Ah I've just remembered (I must have read it on Praying with the Aliens) that this concert was planned to be recorded and officially released. Obviously that explains Billy's performance. He took his opportunity well. Gary was well sad to see him go after the tour. Anyway Gary did alright with Payne/Haines on synths for the next tours.

As a fan I'm glad that Billy and Ultravox became a commercial reality and had so many hits for all to witness.

Chris C laugh

#12579 - Mon, 02 May 2005 21:07:00 Re: On Broadway
DougG Offline

Loc: Near(ish) Montreal, Canada
Is this the same live version that was released along with several other bonus tracks on Numan's Pleasure Principle CD?

I have to admit I'd never listened to the whole thing right through as Gary seems off-key and it's painful to hear. But I persevered this past weekend... and I agree - the synth solo is magnificent!

#12580 - Mon, 02 May 2005 23:22:00 Re: On Broadway
RockstarInRehab Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Stafford, UK
Billy's violin parts on "you are in my vision", "bombers" and "dream police" are rather spiffing too. And the synth solo on "everyday i die"

On Broadway was indeed only performed on GN's 79 UK tour & I have a couple of boots (Glasgow & Manchester I think). The keyboard solo is much the same on those.

#12581 - Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:04:00 Re: On Broadway
Emulator Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: New Malden, Surrey, UK
It's truly stunning. I was watching footage of a gig on The Touring Principle and Bill just does the business to the point where Gary thanks him at the end! An amazing solo which seems to change a good deal, both in terms of actual notes played but also the timbre which shifts a good deal. To describe it as being expressive is somewhat of an understatement!

A solo par excellence delivered by a genius. Nuff said.

#12582 - Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:38:00 Re: On Broadway
maryann Offline

Loc: new york
Quote:
Originally posted by Joby:
The [b]best synth solo bar none...respect. [/b]
A true classic in every sense of the word. Having endured many different renditions of 'On Broadway' (being from NY), that one is the only one I never ever tire of listening to.

#12583 - Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:51:00 Re: On Broadway
Emulator Offline

Same here. Every time I listen to it, I hear something new which is a great sign. Apparently Numan begged him to stay with the tour but Mr Currie had work to do - both with Visage and Ultravox - so felt he had to decline.

The question I've always asked myself - and Billy if I ever get to meet him - is this: did you rehearse it much or is it improvised?

#12584 - Tue, 21 Apr 2009 04:46:00 Re: On Broadway
Adam Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Brighton
Quote:
Originally posted by Emulator:
Same here. Every time I listen to it, I hear something new which is a great sign. Apparently Numan begged him to stay with the tour but Mr Currie had work to do - both with Visage and Ultravox - so felt he had to decline.

The question I've always asked myself - and Billy if I ever get to meet him - is this: did you rehearse it much or is it improvised?
When I interviewed him, he said it was improvised. smile

#12585 - Tue, 21 Apr 2009 04:57:00 Re: On Broadway
White China Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
It's pretty much a done deal that Gary Numan will be doing a 'Pleasure Principle' 30th anniversary tour later in the year and usually he also performs all the B-sides and stuff relevant to that particular album - in this case I guess it would include 'On Broadway' which will be interesting as there is no-one in Gary's current band who could carry the solo off, none of them can play to Billy's standard frown

#12586 - Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:07:00 Re: On Broadway
Emulator Offline

Quote:
When I interviewed him, he said it was improvised.
That's really cool. Listening to it again yesterday, I considered that it may've been rehearsed/written so that each chord change had its own solo part and it was broken down that way and pieced back together but apparently not! It remains a stunning piece of work and one of my all-time favourite solos.

What's the betting Numan drops On Broadway from the set of his 30th anniversary tour of The Pleasure Principle? Mind you, he could reunite the old band and retain his current bassist...

#12587 - Wed, 22 Apr 2009 02:34:00 Re: On Broadway
JesperDK Offline

Loc: Denmark
I agree 100% - the "On Broadway" is an
outstanding synth solo - one of the best
Ive ever heard!

I recall an interview with Billy about the
"Fade To Grey" solo...it was also improvised.
He walked in, turned on the Odyssey and then
just went to the places where the music took him.
He has always done it like that I think,
more or less.

#12588 - Sun, 03 May 2009 05:45:00 Re: On Broadway
Faylon Offline

Loc: East Sussex, UK
Yes, it is a truly fantastic synth solo possibly the best ever. My poor Dad used to have to put up with me blaring Ultravox & Numan from my bedroom and he actually loves that solo. The silly bugger says he wants it played at his funeral!

I met Billy after the Brighton gig and have to say that he was the nicest of all of them. Had loads of time for us and was genuinely interested in our band and took a copy of our CD away. What a great gig and a lovely way to top it off. Superb!

#12589 - Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:14:00 Re: On Broadway
maryann Offline

Loc: new york
Quote:
Originally posted by RockstarInRehab:
Billy's violin parts on "you are in my vision", "bombers" and "dream police" are rather spiffing too. And the synth solo on "everyday i die"
Dream Police with Billy playing is one of those rare occasions where I almost wish that version was the original.

#12590 - Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:42:00 Re: On Broadway
Tall Stranger Offline

Loc: Leicestershire
On Broadway is a superb track and the man at his finest. I think for a suitable Ultravox synth solo then Passionate Reply comes a very close second. Again he just takes it where he wants it to go. I think it was such a shame that this track, albeit a B side was never played live, unless you're going to tell me different ? I'd love to hear the band play this live, stand near the speakers and let the sound tear me apart.

Vienna was something else but turn the record over and listen to this, I think I played it more than Vienna and as loud as I could. For me it was the band at their very best and Billy Currie at his finest. Lets have them tour again and put this on the playlist.

Cheers Dave

#12591 - Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:58:00 Re: On Broadway
Rob Harris Online   content

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Tall Stranger:
On Broadway is a superb track and the man at his finest. I think for a suitable Ultravox synth solo then Passionate Reply comes a very close second. Again he just takes it where he wants it to go. I think it was such a shame that this track, albeit a B side was never played live, unless you're going to tell me different ? I'd love to hear the band play this live, stand near the speakers and let the sound tear me apart.

Vienna was something else but turn the record over and listen to this, I think I played it more than Vienna and as loud as I could. For me it was the band at their very best and Billy Currie at his finest. Lets have them tour again and put this on the playlist.
Passionate Reply was indeed played live - back on the 1981 Rage in Eden tour. It segued into Passing Strangers.

Rob

#12592 - Wed, 12 Aug 2009 06:27:00 Re: On Broadway
Tall Stranger Offline

Loc: Leicestershire
Hi Rob,

thanks for that, what concert did you see them at just out of interest ? I saw them on that tour but can't remember Passionate Reply being on the playlist. Would love to have a copy of that being segued into PS and to have heard it live, must have been quite something ?

Cheers Dave

#12593 - Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:46:00 Re: On Broadway
HenrikDK Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Copenhagen
Hi,
Just bought The Living Ornaments '79 as a double CD,eg.the full concert from the Hammersmith Odeon.Stunned by BC's solo 0n 'On Broadway',this is great stuff.My question goes: Are there any substantial differences between the 1998 and the 2005 versions,it's obviously the same tracks.Btw,the sound quality is rather good considering this happened more than 30 years ago.
Best regards.