Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#12412 - Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:17:00 Unearthed
Desolate Angel Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
Does anyone remember if there was a performance of this album live? I'm sure I saw something in one of the old fanzines?? Did anyone go? It was some performance, but not sure if it was a performance of Unearthed - will have to look up again.....

Anyway, just got this album on CD, it arrived yesterday - managed to find a copy - had only heard snippets prev. This is such an enchanting album! Wow - very happy! Love it. Can't believe it if I actually managed to miss a performance of it!!!! DOH!!!! *&&%$$ Pls post if you went! National Geographic was mentioned in the ad. smile

#12413 - Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:33:00 Re: Unearthed
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
yes it was performed twice live in London- cannot remember exactly where.

Natural History museum ?

#12414 - Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:20:00 Re: Unearthed
Rob Harris Offline

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Desolate Angel:
Does anyone remember if there was a performance of this album live? I'm sure I saw something in one of the old fanzines?? Did anyone go? It was some performance, but not sure if it was a performance of Unearthed - will have to look up again.....

Anyway, just got this album on CD, it arrived yesterday - managed to find a copy - had only heard snippets prev. This is such an enchanting album! Wow - very happy! Love it. Can't believe it if I actually managed to miss a performance of it!!!! DOH!!!! *&&%$$ Pls post if you went! National Geographic was mentioned in the ad. smile
Unearthed was performed twice at the Royal Geographical Society on Friday the 25th and Saturday the 26th of September, 1998..

Full details can be found in issue 17 of Extreme Voice .

Rob

#12415 - Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:06:00 Re: Unearthed
Desolate Angel Offline

Thanks Rob - those were the details i saw originally. I was wondering if anyone actually went/reviewed or photographed?
Cheers
J

#12416 - Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:31:00 Re: Unearthed
Rob Harris Offline

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Thanks Rob - those were the details i saw originally. I was wondering if anyone actually went/reviewed or photographed?
I went along to the performance on the Saturday night - together with Cerise and Paul. From memory (and it is quite a while ago now) the Unearthed album was played through in its entirety. No other material was included. The performance was augmented by a series of back-projections - which contained imagery taken from the photographic archives of the Royal Geographic Society. I remember taking a handful of photos - but not during the performance itself.

Rob

#12417 - Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:56:00 Re: Unearthed
Paul Cook Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Orpington, England.
I went along with Peter Hill on the Friday night. The whole of 'Unearthed' was played. If memory serves, Billy played keyborads and was joined by dozen or so musicians playing violin and other string instruments.

The tickets for this event where a CD slipcase which had your seat number printed on the front. I think the idea was that a CD would be available at the gig to go inside, however this did not materialise on the night. I picked up one of the demo copies of the CD shortly afterwords, and it was a prize possession in my collection for 3 years before the official release came out.

Strange surreal moment when I went into the gents to find they appeared to double up as Billys dressing room.

#12418 - Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:51:00 Re: Unearthed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
I went along to the performance on the Saturday night - together with Cerise and Paul.
Yes, we did. Rob is correct in that no other material was performed apart from the Unearthed album which was interesting, especially (as PC has correctly pointed out) the material wasn't then formally released until much later and so people had to listen without preconceptions or knowledge of what was going to be heard. I recall we sat what would be classed 'Stage left' and I (in a completely and unusually shallow manner) spent most of the evening watching the double bass player who was female, Scottish and utterly gorgeous.

eek

Regards,

Paul

#12419 - Fri, 16 Jul 2010 04:46:00 Re: Unearthed
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Cheers
J
I do believe Phil reviewed this...

#12420 - Sun, 18 Jul 2010 06:48:00 Re: Unearthed
Lieutenant030 Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: Westcliff -On-Sea, Essex, UK
Can't beleive it was almost 12 years ago?

I don't remember Billy playing. I thought he just conducted.

Highlight for me was getting to the venue with my ticket for Row B and finding out row A seating had been removed in its entirety!

Friday night was a bit "sparse". I think there were no more than 30 of us in the audience.

Actually, highlight was Cellist on The Great Incontestable Stars ;oD

Here's a scan of the ticket / CD slipcase.

#12421 - Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:26:00 Re: Unearthed
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
I did - wrote a review for this site actually. It was infamous at the time as Billy got rather cross at me being less than enthusiastic about the back projections.

Billy conducted in the main but I have vague memories of him playing something at one point (I thought it was viola though). Might be wrong...

Was less than full on the Saturday when I went but was a very enjoyable evening. I remember no-one knew whether to clap or not between sections at first (as it was more like a classical concert and not a gig) so the first track was received with almost complete silence! After that people applauded after each one and Billy seemed quite relieved.

No encores or anything else - it was the album in its entirety and that was "yer lot" so it wasn't a long evening.

Does anyone know if the album version is the same as the demo? The demo was done using samples of orchestral instruments so just wondered if the album was real ones or not?

#12422 - Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:21:00 Re: Unearthed
david L. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Flip Martian:

Billy conducted in the main but I have vague memories of him playing something at one point (I thought it was viola though). Might be wrong...

according to Billy at -
http://www.billycurrie.com/biog.html

"1998 - Unearthed was completed. Did two gigs in London performing “Unearthed” with a string section. I conducted and played Viola and Keyboards (Not at the same time)."

#12423 - Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:53:00 Re: Unearthed
Paul Cook Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Orpington, England.
Quote:
Does anyone know if the album version is the same as the demo? The demo was done using samples of orchestral instruments so just wondered if the album was real ones or not?
Unfotunately, I think the version that was finally released was the same as the demo. I was rather hoping it had been totally re-recorded before release, but I think they are the same.

#12424 - Tue, 20 Jul 2010 01:48:00 Re: Unearthed
Flip Martian Offline

David, Paul - ta for the clarification! smile

#12425 - Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:06:00 Re: Unearthed
Desolate Angel Offline

I don't think there is anything unfortunate about this release.

I am fascinated by the fact it was completely scored out - (yeah ok I'm an anorak ........).

Regardless of how the orchestral sounds are produced, you can still more than appreciate the compositions. I notice also that Levine Andrade is credited too - now there's a talent!!!

Initially, this music actually makes me think of a Victorian Christmas for some reason - with lots of snow! With happy people. smile

Paul - When you say re-record - do you mean utilising an orchestra? I suspect that would be costly as you'd probably need to consider a studio with an above average live room too - like Abbey Rd or similar. Billy has probably taken the most workable and practical option as a solo artist doing a self release, and has got the music out there. I think such an approach proves there should be no barriers to creativity - something to admire rather than deem unfortunate. However, I'm glad he got out and delivered a live show, giving peeps the opportunity to hear the representation of the compositions with 'real' instruments as such - that's cool - and very brave if this was prior to general release!

Wld have liked to have seen your review Phil (or anyone's review) - sorry if I opened an old wound by the way - I didn't realise it was sensitive at the time! I hope I didn't put my foot in it by opening this thread!! frown

Its amazing some of the rare moments that have emerged in the past. I only obtained a couple of fanzines around Stand Up and Walk time as I recall (sure they were advertised in good old Melody Maker!) - I never stayed up to date after that, UV who were a big part of my childhood had split and life began as a late teen etc and what with no internet ..... Re the concert - I don't think I was in the country at the time.

Its when big moments occur like the latest reunion, that we then sometimes look back and delve into what we've missed along the way. I admire all you die hards for being there every step of the journey! smile

#12426 - Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:19:00 Re: Unearthed
david L. Offline

Quote:

Regardless of how the orchestral sounds are produced, you can still more than appreciate the compositions. I notice also that Levine Andrade is credited too - now there's a talent!!!

In my version of the sleevenotes ( 2001 release on Puzzle : PZLCD103 ) there are "special thanks to Levine Andrade" which is slightly different to "credited".

it states -

Billy Currie : Synthesisers
All Tracks Written by : Billy Currie

Produced , Engineered , Mixed , Programmed and Performed by : Billy Currie

#12427 - Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:22:00 Re: Unearthed
Flip Martian Offline

Quote:

Wld have liked to have seen your review Phil (or anyone's review) - sorry if I opened an old wound by the way - I didn't realise it was sensitive at the time! I hope I didn't put my foot in it by opening this thread!! frown
Not at all, Jus. Everyone was happy with what I wrote (ie the site owners who asked me to do it) and feedback was generally positive (as was the review itself). Apart from the man himself. Long time ago now. smile If I ever find a copy of it I'll email it to you but I wouldn't hold your breath! wink

#12428 - Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:53:00 Re: Unearthed
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
No, that would be me being slightly mischievious... wink

#12429 - Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:05:00 Re: Unearthed
Flip Martian Offline

Don't think I didn't notice, Simon...! wink

#12430 - Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:33:00 Re: Unearthed
david L. Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Not at all, Jus. Everyone was happy with what I wrote (ie the site owners who asked me to do it) and feedback was generally positive (as was the review itself). Apart from the man himself. Long time ago now. smile If I ever find a copy of it I'll email it to you but I wouldn't hold your breath! wink [/b]
On the internet you can run but you cannot hide.
Phils review and photos can be found on the internet archive project at

http://web.archive.org/web/19991011114525/www.ultravox.org.uk/evtourbcun01.html

( may take a while to load fully )

#12431 - Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:47:00 Re: Unearthed
Flip Martian Offline

Wow...trip down memory lane there! Thanks David smile

#12432 - Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:32:00 Re: Unearthed
Desolate Angel Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by david L.:
Quote:
[b]

In my version of the sleevenotes ( 2001 release on Puzzle : PZLCD103 ) there are "special thanks to Levine Andrade" which is slightly different to "credited".

it states -

Billy Currie : Synthesisers
All Tracks Written by : Billy Currie

Produced , Engineered , Mixed , Programmed and Performed by : Billy Currie [/b]
Hello David

Firstly, thanks for posting the link to the review. This was exactly what I was looking for - a little insight into the event seeing as I wasn't there....

I acknowledge your previous note relating to 'credits'. I feel this discussion is a little anal shall we say, however, you picked me up straight away on the use of a word, and raised a point - therefore I'll explain my perspective.

Collins Gem Dictionary and Thesaurus (definition)

credit
n acclaim, acknowledgement, approval, commendation, fame, glory, honour, kudos, merit, praise, recognition, thanks, tribute.

You may note the word 'thanks'.

I did not mean to imply that Levine had any creative or musical input. If I did, I may, for example, have said "he was credited with the violin part on track x...," and so on.

I merely commented on his well known talent/awards, and used the term 'credited' quite loosely as per the above definition. I could have said he got a thanks, I could also have said he got an acknowledgement.....

The sleeve notes of course speak for themselves and are quite specific with regard to writing/production/performance - as you have quite correctly pointed out.

You will note however, that Levine quite openly states, that for 'recording work' he has 'worked with Billy Currie'..... therefore in this instance I'm taking a guess (and yes it's a guess) the 'special thanks' perhaps relates to some form of input/guidance, which perhaps goes beyond just stopping by for a cup of tea......

That aside, your eye for detail is a 'credit' to you Dave . smile

#12433 - Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:50:00 Re: Unearthed
david L. Offline

fair enough - but in the musical world , "creditted" has a specific meaning.

#12434 - Wed, 06 Oct 2010 02:52:00 Re: Unearthed
Ambidexter Offline
Pass level: Press

Loc: London
I remember this night very well. I moved house that day, so it was a good break to go out in the evening.

It was quite an event including an exhibition of recently discovered photos from the archive of the Royal Geographical Society (hence "Unearthed") followed by a great concert.

Like others here, I remember being unsure as to whether or not to clap after each track. And at the end of the concert in such a lovely venue it just didn't seem appropriate to scream "more more!!" while stamping my feet.... laugh

I got some great souvenirs - two gorgeous limited edition prints from the exhibition, the CD sleeve mentioned above, and (eventually) the album itself which is my favourite of Billy's - a great mixture of Krautrock and Phillip Glass style contemporary classical.

All in all - one of my favourite concerts ever.