Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#12359 - Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:52:00 Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Chris C Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
Good Morning Forum!

wink

This one goes to those who have Billy's back catalogue and Michael Rother's !!??/! smile

Michael was one half of the influential German band Neu!. The other half being Klaus Dinger(later forming the other influential band La Dusseldorf). :rolleyes:

Anyhow on Billy's "Keys and the Fiddle" the Great Billy mentions (in the inner sleeve notes) that the melody and chord structure of DWTIME was inspired from an album by Michael Rother that Conny (Plank not our Mr Pig!!)gave him. Which one was it Billy???!!!!!! confused2

Mr C will go for d) in particular track 1 Silberstreif smile

Well Forum (in particular those from Germany) can I have your votes please. excited

Billy, Warren, Chris and Midge you can give us your verdict once you're satisfied with the outcome!

excited
Cheers

Chris C

#12360 - Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:35:00 Re: Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Chris C Offline

Any ideas guys??? laugh

Chris C

#12361 - Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:23:00 Re: Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Mr. Weirdo Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: land of the lost souls ...
hm ... i'm really sorry mr. c , but i have to dig down very deep in my ol' vinyl collection of 70s & 80s stuff for those albums , of which i'm not even sure , which ones i have & which not , to listen to what i have & then maybe can give u an answer to it later , but sadly not right now , sorry !!! shocked

anyway ... c u ! smile

olaf a.k.a. ..::=|MeTaMaTRiX|=::..

#12362 - Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:23:00 Re: Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Chris C Offline

I haven't seen Mr Pig for a while! frown

Piggy solve this riddle!! laugh

Piggy can you get The Great Incontestable Star to answer this one? banghead

Chris C smile

#12363 - Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:03:00 Re: Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Chris C Offline

Quote:

Before DWTIME Michael had released the following:

a)Flammende Herzen (1976)
b)Sterntaler (1977)
c)Katzenmusik (1979)
d)Fernwaerme (1981)
e)Lust (1983)

The first 3 were only produced by Conny. confused2

Mr C will go for d) in particular track 1 Silberstreif smile

Billy Currie wrote in his sleeve notes on Keys And The Fiddle

I wrote the melody and chord structure for the Ultravox song "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes"(which was heavily influenced by Michael Rother's album that Conny Plank gave me) in that space.

The answer Ladies and Gentlemen is:

b) STERNTALER

I was quite pleased to get the Micheal Rother CD collection for Christmas. I listened carefully to the above-mentioned albums and noticed that there wasn't a track obviously similar to DWTIME. It was difficult as the drum and bass on Rother's early solo albums (and Neu! 75 for that instance) are very Ultravoxy! Jaki Liebezeit (ex Can drummer), who's work for Rother, was his best featured on Rother's first 4 solo albums. Rother provided bass and played all other instruments. BTW Rother is a well renowned guitarist and synth player.

I eliminated quickly Lust as it was the least likely and Fernwarme, although one strong track the rest of the album was more like Katzenmusic, very melodic and guitar based. This one was also eliminated. So I was down to 2. Sterntaler and Flammende Herzen both produced by Conny Plank.

Sterntaler was my choice. The track Sonnenrad was the closest to DWTIMEand the whole album gave me those vibes.

Incidentally, Sterntaler was recorded at Rother's studio and at Conny's studio during September to November 1977. A year before the legendary Systems of Romance.

Rother and Dinger formed the duo Neu!, from which Ultravox! borrowed the ! and more. Neu!'s, Rother's, Klaus Dinger's and La Dusseldorf's influence was to show to a great extent as the 80s approached. Moreover, Rother was also involved with the 2 guys from Cluster (who later worked with Eno)in a project known as Harmonia. They produced 3 albums with 2 only released at the time. Some of Midge's guitar work on Astradyne and Face to Face is probably influenced by tracks like Dino on Harmonia's first album. Music Von Harmonia. Deluxe, Harmonia's second album, is even better. The most obvious influence here is on David Bowie. If you listen to the track Monza it is oh so similar to Red Sails from the Lodger album. The track Deluxe is another synth classic in similar vein to I Want More by Can.

BTW OMD are reforming and have always cited Neu! etc as one of their major influences. In my eyes a reformed Ultravox would go 'Back to Basics' with Michael Rother filling perfectly the empty space left by Conny Plank. Perhaps carrying on from where they left off with DWTIME.

Three years later after the release of Lament and DWTIME, Rother released Traumreisen with a beautiful track Sudseewellen inspired by DWTIME.

Perfect is the Pop-Rock World...well with the boys of Ultravox and Neu!

God Bless you all!!

Chris C wink