Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#12266 - Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:51:00 Website Update
Havocman Online   confused
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: The depths of Sherwood Forest....
It looks like Billy has been very busy, not just with the Humania album. Take a look at www.billycurrie.com

#12267 - Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:45:00 Re: Website Update
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH ME?!

Woah... smile

I contributed the chords from the fade out pad progression which is also the middle solo section. I seem to have revisited these chords in a very lively way. Its not the same, just a working title. Some Russian Piano playing.

Ah! wink

#12268 - Fri, 25 Nov 2005 01:46:00 Re: Website Update
Steve Roby Offline
Pass level: Promoter

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Okay, so has anyone bought any downloads? What format are they? Quality? DRM?

(And are there any Humania samples to be heard anywhere?)

#12269 - Fri, 25 Nov 2005 04:10:00 Re: Website Update
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
I've just downloaded the Humania tracks - 10 tracks for 5.99 and recorded at 160kbps. Makes a pleasing noise through my iPod.

More to follow once I've given them a good listen. Paul.

#12270 - Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:05:00 Re: Website Update
Cerise Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I've emailed to ask Billy if it'll be available on CD at some point or in download format only, will let you know the answer if/when he replies. smile

#12271 - Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:31:00 Re: Website Update
Steve Roby Offline

I decided I could spare Billy the cost of a couple pints, so I've just downloaded the Humania album. I'm only just starting the third song, but so far I think it like it better than the Billyvox albums. The singer's voice has a bit more character (a bit Tears for Fears or Simple Minds at times), but at the same time, I can imagine Midge singing these songs on a post-Lament Ultravox album in some alternate universe in which the pink thing never happened. This seems (so far) to have a bit more of an Ultravox feel than Revelation or Ingenuity. I'm not loving it, but I'm not feeling the need to skip forward to the next track, either, which happens when I try listening to Revelation and Ingenuity...

#12272 - Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:15:00 Re: Website Update
Cerise Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
I decided I could spare Billy the cost of a couple pints, so I've just downloaded the Humania album.
Yeah, I've done the same! But I'd also like it on CD, and I'm sure people will ask... wink

All the tracks are familiar to me as Billy gave us a tape to review at the time (and we saw them live), but I have to say it's brilliant to hear it so well remastered. Excellent! Give it a few plays, Steve - it'll definitely grow on you. I love it! laugh

#12273 - Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:48:00 Re: Website Update
BlueVision Offline

Loc: Berlin, Germany
Cerise, You are so right! The problem with these downloads: You "only" get the music! I want to say thank you to Billy for giving this to us in this way for a very nice price. But, I would like to pay a little bit more for it in form of a good CD-Album with a nice artworked booklet with some photos and information. This gives me a better connection to what I hear. Especially with Humania, there is only rare information available. Sure, on a booklet not all information fits, but a good booklet takes you by the hand when listening to the music, it supports the spirit of the music and it's time. Pls. understand this as a ...matter of design... wink
I know, some people like me never getting enough. And somehow I feel not really well writing this down now. I don't like to complain about this gift to us. Everytime somebody (like Billy now) gives out some rare stuff to the fans there is somebody complaining something. But I think this is good music. And good music needs also this kind of "home". Being creative can be really hard sometimes, I know. So there is a need for giving it more support in this way I think.
Pls., this is no critics, this is because:
I SIMPLY WANT MORE......

#12274 - Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:11:00 Re: Website Update
Chris C Offline

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueVision:
But, I would like to pay a little bit more for it in form of a good CD-Album with a nice artworked booklet with some photos and information. This gives me a better connection to what I hear. Especially with Humania, there is only rare information available. Sure, on a booklet not all information fits, but a good booklet takes you by the hand when listening to the music, it supports the spirit of the music and it's time.
I absolutely agree with you Blue Vision. I would get a copy of this for it's retail price. It deserves it's little clear plastic case with glossy pictures and nice text! laugh

The Humania album deserves it's physical presence in between Transportation and Stand Up an Walk or in between U-Vox and Revelation. It all depends how you've got your CD collection set up.

Come on Billy...waiting we were waiting!

Chris C
wink

#12275 - Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:18:00 Re: Website Update
Your Shadow Offline

Loc: Liverpool
I agree with Andi and Chris that if possible the album should be released on CD. Sure I have an Ipod but I don't like this culture of downloading music instead of buying CDs. For me part of the pleasure is getting the booklet and info with the CD, slipping the disc into the player and away you go...

I use my Ipod for holding my music collection and having so many tracks at my disposal when I'm on the go. Can't be bothered with this downloading malarkey! Call me old fashioned if you will.

So come on Billy, a CD release please !

#12276 - Sat, 26 Nov 2005 05:44:00 Re: Website Update
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
I'm a newcomer to the iPod generation, but I don't think I'll ever give up wanting the physicality of a CD. I don't feel that pure data is value for money..

#12277 - Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:32:00 Re: Website Update
Chappie Offline
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

Loc: Nah, Luton Airport
Quote:
Originally posted by Si_W:
I'm a newcomer to the iPod generation, but I don't think I'll ever give up wanting the physicality of a CD. I don't feel that pure data is value for money..
5.99 for a download album is good value in my book. The digital age is upon age - even if Si hasn't quite got there yet. :lmao Maybe Billy could think about including a pdf document with the artwork and sleeve notes in future release.

Paul.

#12278 - Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:37:00 Re: Website Update
Flip Martian Offline

I'm with Si on this one - paying money to own some data that doesn't exist physically is not really something I would want to do... MP3s allow me to listen to CDs I buy on the move (or distribute my music on the web at no charge). I create them myself or download them from others and that's it.

To be honest, I'm no audiophile but most people agree that MP3s need to be encoded at 192kbps or above to be decent quality. 160 seems a bit low for a commercial release.

Ah well, I guess that means I can expect another horse's head in me bed if Billy ever reads this...

It is a cheap price for an album though - that IS to be applauded.

#12279 - Sun, 27 Nov 2005 05:44:00 Re: Website Update
Si_W Offline

Loc: UK
My main problem with buying mp3's is down to accidental loss. As someone who has experienced at least three major crashes due to faulty software (i.e Windows) I've had the horror of having to wipe my hard drive every time. It's bad enough that I loose e-mail over a year or so, but if I'd lost an album collection that I had spent good money putting together I'd be well hacked off.

At least with a CD you have something physical that you can rip to the hard drive, something that's pretty indestructable unless you don't take real good care of it and that if you do you only have to replace one of it. I own roughly 300-400 CDs (pure guess, I've never counted 'em), imagine having to shell out for a new mp3 collection of that size...

The bit rate size is something that bugged me no end until recently. My CD Copy software has always insisted that 320kbps is CD quality, so I was very dubious about listening to stuff at 160 or less. I've put stuff on my iPod now at that bitrate and it sounds great, so I'm not so fussed now. My only query is what bitrate the M4A files that iTunes ripped from my CDs are at.

#12280 - Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:23:00 Re: Website Update
Steve Roby Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Flip Martian:
I'm with Si on this one - paying money to own some data that doesn't exist physically is not really something I would want to do... MP3s allow me to listen to CDs I buy on the move (or distribute my music on the web at no charge). I create them myself or download them from others and that's it.
I've got about a thousand CDs, so being able to get mp3 downloads legally through eMusic.com means I've been able to get hundreds more, for a much lower price, and not have to find space for that many more jewel boxes. Instead, the majority are on data CDs holding a dozen albums each. I've got more freedom to try new albums or unfamiliar genres of music without worrying so much about cost or storage space.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm no audiophile but most people agree that MP3s need to be encoded at 192kbps or above to be decent quality. 160 seems a bit low for a commercial release.
I agree, and I believe In the Nursery and His Name Is Alive, for example, use 192 kbps mp3s for the albums they sell through their websites. Even so, a 160 kbps mp3 with no digital rights management making life difficult is a much better deal than iTunes, with its DRM and low quality encoding. (It's a different and supposedly more advanced compression scheme than mp3, but it's still only 128 kbps, and two of the three or four albums I've bought through iTunes sound awful.)

#12281 - Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:59:00 Re: Website Update
Flip Martian Offline

Cheers Steve! I'm thankful I've never used iTunes then! bemused

#12282 - Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:46:00 Re: Website Update
Cerise Offline

I've had a reply from Billy - aparently the Humania album will have a hard copy release some time in February. Yay! laugh

#12283 - Sun, 04 Dec 2005 06:05:00 Re: Website Update
Mike C Offline

Loc: Blyth, Northumberland
Good news Cerise, thanks. smile

With regards iTunes I thought it was just me who had bad quality downloads. I've only downloaded about half a dozen songs form iTunes and they all sound terrible. It's more noticeable when you have them in a playlist on your ipod and the track is followed by a one you've recorded from CD. The volume levels can be vastly different. Even using Music manager and MP3 Gain doesn't always help because if the file is poor quality to begin with then there's not a lot you can do.
frown

#12284 - Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:38:00 Re: Website Update
Anonymous
Unregistered

I`ve just downloaded the Humania album and listened to it for the very first time. I really like the songs, esp. the instrumentation, but I am unsure if I really like the singer`s voice. It really sounds like Tears for Fears a bit.
Best song is "This day forever" (after first listen!) And I really like to "new" I can`t stay long version!

Mike

#12285 - Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:31:00 Re: Website Update
Chris C Offline

Loc: Where the Garden meets the Sea
Thanks Cerise!

I was getting worried there! Billy is a man of surprises.
:rolleyes:

His new album could follow thereafter.
laugh
Chris C

#12286 - Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:13:00 Re: Website Update
Rob Harris Offline

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
His new album could follow thereafter.
laugh