Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Click here to order Midge Ure's new album Orchestrated now!

Topic Options
#12155 - Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:27:00 Your Billy recommendations please!!
mandy Offline
Pass level: Manager

Loc: the Heart of the Country
I'm ashamed to say I have never heard any of Billy's solo albums. :rolleyes:

So it's about time I put that right.

I understand downloads are the only way to go, so before I go mad on i-Tunes which albums would anyone recommend? - I can't believe he's done so many!, are the tracks all instrumental or are there vocal tracks too?

Many Thanks - Mandy

#12156 - Mon, 01 Mar 2010 22:15:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
1.Outside Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: Birmingham
There's a thread about this somewhere on here I think, but my current favourite is Still Movement. I think any vox fan would like that one (although that's not to say it's vox-like because it isn't).

#12157 - Tue, 02 Mar 2010 02:10:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
david L. Offline

Loc: oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by mandy:

I understand downloads are the only way to go, so before I go mad on i-Tunes which albums would anyone recommend?
see this thread for recommendations -

http://www.Ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000096

and if you want physical CDs rather than downloads , try ebay - quite a few on there at the moment

#12158 - Tue, 02 Mar 2010 17:48:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
1.Outside Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Don't go mad on iTunes! The albums used to be available at 1.99 on Billy's own site.

#12159 - Wed, 03 Mar 2010 02:10:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
Desolate Angel Offline

Loc: North of Eden heading South......
You can deffo get physical CD releases - My APOTS came from a store in the States. Also i got Still Movement on CD but can't remember where I got it from - it might have been Amazon.

There's quite a bit of Transportation about too. I tried to find Transportation last year with the black and white artwork you see on itunes - it didnt exist - i was being thick (i thought it was the original artwork but wasn't) - however - during my search for non existant original artwork on ebay (yes I need to get out more...) i managed to stumble across an original black and white photo of Billy with his violin - 'Stand Up and Walk' era I am told - so i bought that instead!!! Everything happens for a reason!! I was chuffed with my little find! I think the universe saved it for me!

Mandy there is another thread on here re albums and recomendations - however - download REFINE - Billy's latest one - thats brilliant! - thats not to say the others arn't. smile

#12160 - Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:16:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
mandy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Desolate Angel:
- however - during my search for non existant original artwork on ebay (yes I need to get out more...)

Thanks for everyone's recommendations and thoughts.... and don't worry DA - you don't need to get out more - you wouldn't believe the hours I've spent on e-bay finding things that I didn't even know how much I REALLY REALLY needed! bemused

I can see I've got a good few hours of great listening coming up, better get the ipod on charge smile

#12161 - Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:15:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.Outside:
Don't go mad on iTunes! The albums used to be available at 1.99 on Billy's own site.
Indeed. Billy's albums 'Accidental Poetry of the Structure', 'Still Movement', 'Push' and the Humania album 'Sinews Of The Soul' are all available for download from Billy's site at 1.99 each here .

Regards,

Paul

#12162 - Thu, 04 Mar 2010 04:14:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
Desolate Angel Offline

[/qb][/QUOTE]Thanks for everyone's recommendations and thoughts.... and don't worry DA - you don't need to get out more - you wouldn't believe the hours I've spent on e-bay finding things that I didn't even know how much I REALLY REALLY needed! bemused

I can see I've got a good few hours of great listening coming up, better get the ipod on charge smile [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey lucky you! Let us know what you grab first and what you think! Always like to hear others thoughts and feelings about Billy's work. wink

#12163 - Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:06:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
mandy Offline

woohoo Very pleased!!! I've just got a brand new copy of "Pieces of the Puzzle" from e-bay (I'm of the old school and really prefer a CD if possible - then put it on the old ipod).
Shouldn't be too long before it arrives, I'll let you know what I think smile

#12164 - Sun, 07 Mar 2010 07:51:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
Desolate Angel Offline

I meant to mention it yonks ago - but can anyone hear 'Overlook' (the last piano segment toward the end) in 'Supporting the Sky with Both Hands' (Refine), as a slower very subtle almost camouflage melody? smile

Jogged my memory listening to Overlook the other day i was rackin my brains wondering where i'd heard that bit recently - knew it was one of Billy's solo tunes but couldnt for the life of me think which one - needless to say I had to start an investigation .... (yup - was having another one of those 'need to get out more' moments!! lol nevermind huh - its nearly April! laugh

#12165 - Tue, 09 Mar 2010 03:07:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
mandy Offline

My copy of Pieces of the Puzzle......

Its arrived!! woohoo

#12166 - Tue, 09 Mar 2010 07:15:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
Desolate Angel Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mandy:
My copy of Pieces of the Puzzle......

Its arrived!! woohoo
WOW!!! That was quick!!! laugh

#12167 - Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:56:00 Re: Your Billy recommendations please!!
mandy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Desolate Angel:
That was quick!!! laugh
I know! laugh

Found a good little place on e-bay. They had all the other Billy CD's as well.

Anyway, POTP is now on the i-pod and a copy CD has been burnt for the car....can't wait for the drive to work this morning - and that's a first! excited