Ultravox.org.uk Extreme Voice Official Ultravox Website

Pre-order Ultravox's 'Extended' remastered remixes album here now, exclusive bundles available!

Topic Options
#1182 - Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:20:00 Modern Love
birdsong Offline
Pass level: Access All Areas

Loc: southampton
I've often wondered, so maybe I should ask

Is this an original Ultravox! song, or a cover?
Sounds like it ought to be Jonathan Richman...

Perhaps I should go to bed now frown

#1183 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:55:00 Re: Modern Love
Shadow Man Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Hi Birdsong

Jonathan Richman, eh?....

I own a Vinyl copy of the Mini LP from Ultravox!
It includes The Wild, the Beautiful and the Damned - My Sex - Quirks on side A
and Young Savage - The Man who dies every Day - Modern Love on side B. It's a re-issue of the Retro Live E.P. and is released 1981 under license by Festival records Pty. Limited , Australia.
On the tracklist on the LP is an advice under Quirks and Modern Love: (Ultravox) (Essex)

I don't know who "Essex" is but perhaps Rob can tell something about it???????????? smile

Bye, S.M.

#1184 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:06:00 Re: Modern Love
birdsong Offline

yes, I've seen this album listed in many places.

Modern Love is NOT Jonathan Richman. I don't think he made a song called Modern Love, despite the band name.
I got your Cds now too - BIG THANK YOU - so now I can hear it again and not on a crappy tape recording.

Somehow I suspect it's not original Ultravox as it's not typical of the era. but Essex?

I will look it up somewhen

#1185 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:44:00 Re: Modern Love
Rob Harris Offline

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
On the tracklist on the LP is an advice under Quirks and Modern Love: (Ultravox) (Essex)

I don't know who "Essex" is but perhaps Rob can tell something about it???????????? smile
As far as I'm aware, Essex was the name of the publishing company used by Island when material was released in Australia.

Rob

#1186 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:51:00 Re: Modern Love
Rob Harris Offline

Loc: Ledbury, UK
Quote:

As far as I'm aware, Essex was the name of the publishing company used by Island when material was released in Australia.

Rob

#1187 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 04:36:00 Re: Modern Love
Shadow Man Offline

Oh, thanks Rob.

So it is sure both tracks are written by Ultravox! ???

#1188 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 04:44:00 Re: Modern Love
birdsong Offline

Quote:
Oh, thanks Rob.

I'm dubious, but working on the lyrics has changed my mind a bit. It's hard, but Foxx refers to "Vampire Gangsters" (alluding to some of his oft-cited comic book heroes) and uses the line "Ash of roses on my sleeve".
It probly just sounds like a cover. The early stuff is VERY Roxy Music NYD and Jonathan Richman sounding after all.

AND there's a riff in this that was almost certainly used by Blondie.
More later on this

I REALLY do need to go for a beer now wink

#1189 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 04:57:00 Re: Modern Love
Mrs. X Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
As far as I know, the only cover they did was "Ain't Misbehavin'" back when they were known as Tiger Lily. Am I right?

Mrs. X

#1190 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:03:00 Re: Modern Love
Shadow Man Offline

Yes it was a cover from the old Fats Waller song

I think it is from 1928.?

#1191 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:12:00 Re: Modern Love
Mrs. X Offline

Quote:
Yes it was a cover from the old Fats Waller song

I think it is from 1928.?
Yes, but am I right in thinking this was the only cover they did? I can't honestly think of any others (from either era).

Mrs. X

#1192 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:24:00 Re: Modern Love
Mrs. X Offline

Oh hang on... There was "King's Lead Hat," I believe...

Mrs. X

#1193 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:53:00 Re: Modern Love
Flip Martian Offline

Loc: Here
Apparently they did Gary Glitter's Rock'n'Roll as well...whether it was part 1 (with the lyrics) or part 2 (the one with the Hey!...hey! Hey!...hey! vocals) I dunno - there's a tape of them playing it from a gig in America sometime after Midge joined I think. Never on vinyl though.

#1194 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:56:00 Re: Modern Love
alles klar Offline

Loc: London
I have a boot of the Rock n Roll cover and all I can say is that the boys don't cover themselves in glory with it. As Simon Cowell once said 'You were just shouting' cussing

#1195 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:23:00 Re: Modern Love
birdsong Offline

I mentioned above about the comic book references in "Modern Love" which OK suggest it is original Ultravox!

Here's another, citing a process called "the life exchange" (which occurs more than sometimes in Adventure Comics Super Heroes stories c1967)

http://members.shaw.ca/legion_roll_call/legionnaires/lightning_lad/

I could be SO wrong with all this of course. But it's fun isn't it?

Isn't it?

PS There's a whole comic book references thread coming,
I can feel it. Ray 1/Ray 2, anyone?

#1196 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:39:00 Re: Modern Love
birdsong Offline

I'll correct myself before anyone else does...

The Blondie reference above.

It's the guitar riff from "Monkey Jive" not "Modern Love" and it is SIMILAR TO that used by Blondie in the song (I am always touched by your)"Presence Dear" which, I think, is on Plastic Letters.

eeeww, get me!

"...still, it's time to leave" frown

#1197 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:08:00 Re: Modern Love
Mrs. X Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by birdsong:
I'll correct myself before anyone else does...

The Blondie reference above.

It's the guitar riff from "Monkey Jive" not "Modern Love" and it is SIMILAR TO that used by Blondie in the song (I am always touched by your)"Presence Dear" which, I think, is on Plastic Letters.

eeeww, get me!

"...still, it's time to leave" frown
If that's the case, then Blondie would have had to have nicked it from Tiger Lily, not the other way around. smile

Mrs. X

#1198 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:42:00 Re: Modern Love
birdsong Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. X:
Quote:
[b]

If that's the case, then Blondie would have had to have nicked it from Tiger Lily, not the other way around. smile

Mrs. X[/b]
Didn't I say that?

#1199 - Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:24:00 Re: Modern Love
Mrs. X Offline

Quote:
Didn't I say that?
Er...sorry, yeah. nutjob frown

Back to my corner...

Mrs. X

#1200 - Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:58:00 Re: Modern Love
apollo079 Offline
Pass level: VIP

Loc: Basingstoke
Quote:
Quote:
[b]Oh, thanks Rob.

I'm dubious, but working on the lyrics has changed my mind a bit. It's hard, but Foxx refers to "Vampire Gangsters" (alluding to some of his oft-cited comic book heroes) and uses the line "Ash of roses on my sleeve".
It probly just sounds like a cover. The early stuff is VERY Roxy Music NYD and Jonathan Richman sounding after all.

AND there's a riff in this that was almost certainly used by Blondie.
More later on this

I REALLY do need to go for a beer now wink [/b]

#1201 - Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:59:00 Re: Modern Love
apollo079 Offline

Just joined, and thought some people might be interested in more on this subject.

I can confirm that both Quirks and Modern Love are listed on the label of my 7” single as written by Ultravox. I have seen this single described as a flexi-disc, but my copy is definitely hard wax.

For completeness, I have listed below the singles I have collected from the John Foxx Ultravox! Era (all are on Island records and all except those listed have coloured labels). There may be one or two missing, if anyone knows of any others, please let me know:-
WIP6375 Dangerous Rhythm b/w My Sex
WIP6392 Young Savage b/w Slip Away (recorded live at The Rainbow)
WIP6404 ROckwrok b/w Hiroshima Mon Amour
WIP6417 Quirks/Modern Love (appears to be double A-side)
IEP8 Live Retro EP:- The Man Who Dies Every Day (live at the Rainbow, London)/Young Savage (live at Huddersfield Poly) b/w The Wild, The Beautiful And The Damned (live at the Rainbow, London)/My Sex (live at Huddersfield Poly)
WIP6454 Slow Motion b/w Dislocation
also released (or poss re-released?) as a double pack (grey labels) with the following:-
DWIP6454 Quiet Men b/w Hiroshima Mon Amour
WIP6459 Quiet Men b/w Cross Fade
My copy of this is a 12” (12WIP6459), an early example of this format, I think, and is labelled as a Limited Edition, and is on White vinyl! Were any of the other singles above released as 12”?
Re-release:-
WIP6454 WIPX1862 Slow Motion/Quiet Men b/w Hiroshima Mon Amour (grey labels)
This was released around the same time as the compilation “Three Into One” and the sleeve features black and white photos of all four album sleeves. This, I believe, was the issue which charted after Foxx had left the group (1980 if memory serves).
Note that the B side of ROckwrok and the double-pack b-side are the alternative version of Hiroshima Mon Amour with the saxophone part replaced by Currie on violin.

Reading comments about the mini-LP, this must be a combination of IEP8 and WIP6417, though I’m not clear whether the latter was issued as a single in its own right (the serial number suggests that it was) or was packed with early copies on one of the LPs (if so, it must have been Ha! Ha! Ha!). Does anyone know?

Oh yes, the reference to the Ultravox cover of “King’s Lead Hat” (I know this is Midge Ure era, but bear with me on this) reminds me of something else; which connects with the comment made about Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers. The aforementioned was a cover of a Brian Eno song, and, as is quite widely known, the title is an anagram of Talking Heads (whom Eno produced). Jerry Harrison of TH was of course previously a member of the Modern Lovers. I have a funny feeling that TH and Ultravox! toured together around 1977 (can anyone remember?), and it is therefore quite possible that the title of the song Modern Love is indeed a reference to Harrison’s earlier career.

Given all this, what REALLY surprises me is that Ultravox do not seem to have recorded any Velvet Underground covers (after all, everyone else has). Surely there was an influence there?

#1202 - Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:46:00 Re: Modern Love
birdsong Offline

Wow, thanks for some great input there!
I love all this rock biography stuff and can't get enough of it. Reading Midge Ure and David Sylvian's bios right now…

I know Talking Heads played support to the Ramones in 1977, and they gigged together at the Roxy, but I have yet to find out if Ultravox appeared on the line up anywhere?
Before that, in July '76 when the Ramones first appeared in Britain they were massive and anyone who was anyone at the time saw them. Mick Jones, Johnny Rotten etc so dare I suggest members of Ultravox might have gone along?
I think this might also have featured an early appearance of the marvellous Rezillos?
Not forgetting of course that Eno 'co-produced' Ultravox! in 1977

I'm off to do some more ferreting around... wink

Re; Velvet Underground. Perhaps "Artificial Life" is about as close as they got…

#1203 - Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:29:00 Re: Modern Love
Shadow Man Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by apollo079:
Reading comments about the mini-LP, this must be a combination of IEP8 and WIP6417, though I’m not clear whether the latter was issued as a single in its own right (the serial number suggests that it was) or was packed with early copies on one of the LPs (if so, it must have been Ha! Ha! Ha!). Does anyone know?
I own a copy of the Mini LP. you're right; it is a combination with Quirks/Modern Love and Retro live.It is an Island record and was released in 1981 in Australia under licence by Festival Records. The cover is the same like Retro but for "Retro" there stands Mini LP on it and on the back there is the original Retro cover combined with advertising for Systems of Romance, Three into one and HA!HA!HA!. It is a 12" Mini album - so it looks like a real LP. Your copy of Quirks /Modern Love was a bonus single for the first copies of HA!HA!HA!

Hope this helps...

Bye, S.M.

#1204 - Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:11:00 Re: Modern Love
Shadow Man Offline

Ah I forgot:

Quiet Men /Cross fade came out as an 7" single too with a different sleeve to the 12" and Slow Motion came out as 12" in clear and white vinyl.

wink

#1205 - Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:06:00 Re: Modern Love
Shadow Man Offline

And I know about the German issues of Dangerous Rhythm/My Sex, Rockwrok/Hiroshima mon Amour,
which came out in different sleeves and the German single
Frozen Ones/Man who Dies every Day

Also it exist a French single of
Dangerous Rhythm/ Slip Away in different sleeve...

The Tiger Lily single
Ain't Misbehavin'/ Monkey Jive is nice to have ...

So it exist something to hunt for too... wink

#1206 - Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:22:00 Re: Modern Love
Pater Noster Offline

Loc: London
this may seem obvious; but "Quiet Men" had different mixes on 12 and 7 inch. The 12 was in white vinyl, and the 7 was a condensed version of the album track i think.

Grant

#1207 - Tue, 08 Mar 2005 03:53:00 Re: Modern Love
apollo079 Offline

Yes, the 12" of "Quiet Men" is labelled as "Full Version", and sounds like it has an extra percussion backing track compared to the album mix; but oddly both the version on the re-issue of "Slow Motion" and the double pack 7" of the same seem to be this same mix as well, but faded out. Definitely not the same mix as the album, though.

Thanks to all for your contributions. I was fairly sure that Quirks/Modern Love was not a separate release, and pleased to know that I was correct. Will try to look out for the white vinyl 12" of "Slow Motion", but not the clear plastic version. I have one 12" single in this format, and it plays like it's been pressed on perspex, which of course it has!

Ah, the joys of record collecting!

#1208 - Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:38:00 Re: Modern Love
Mark Offline
Pass level: Green Room

Loc: Coventry
If I remember correctly the 12" version of Quiet Men is on the vinyl version of 3 into 1 too.

#1209 - Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:16:00 Re: Modern Love
Shadow Man Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
If I remember correctly the 12" version of Quiet Men is on the vinyl version of 3 into 1 too.
Yes, it is right - it's the same version.

APOLLO 79 - I remember a nice Vinyl too. You have to look for a copy of the Peel Session - great sound. It incl. My Sex, Artificial Life and Young Savage. My copy was released 1987 under Strange Fruit Records. It is a Special Metallic finish limited edition Sleeve. wink